1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 NBA Draft Lottery - 6/22/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2021.

1. PeppermintCandy

Huge first step. Huuuuge.

I hated the "process" this season, but i'm glad it worked out.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Mobley and Wood could be the next.....

[​IMG]

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Rockets: Evan Mobley, F/C, USC

Height: 7' 0" | Weight: 215 | Age: 19 | Freshman

Houston can breathe easy: this pick stays with them after remaining in the top four, giving them a pathway to one of the draft’s elite talents. Mobley would be a terrific fit here, addressing a need in the frontcourt, creating a versatile pairing with Christian Wood, and instantly elevating the Rockets’ profile on the defensive end. He’s one of the best rim-protecting prospects to come around in some time, with exceptional length and instincts and plus mobility, and combines that with legitimate offensive upside due to his shooting touch, passing skills, and unselfish mentality. At a similar stage, he compares favorably to recent early-choice bigs like Deandre Ayton, Jaren Jackson, and James Wiseman. The high defensive floor and intriguing offensive ceiling make him an outstanding prospect, and potentially a major coup for the Rockets. He’s a better fit than Jalen Green here, whose skill set doesn’t quite mesh with what’s already on the roster.

23. Rockets (from Blazers): Jaden Springer, G, Tennessee

Height: 6' 4" | Weight: 205 | Age: 18 | Freshman

With three first-round picks in hand, including consecutive selections in the 20s, the Rockets figure to be one of the more active teams going into the draft. Considering Houston’s circumstances, with no clear, present pathway back to the playoffs, adding young talent and helping incubate their development seems prudent for the time being. Springer is one of the more divisive players in the draft: he’s the youngest college prospect in the draft, but scouts remain split on where his upside lies, without an immediate, translatable skill to hang his hat on. Springer should defend capably, but will have to expand his offensive skill set to better suit his likely role as an off-guard. He’s not functionally that tall for his position, nor is he an explosive athlete, but he’s had success playing an unorthodox style and could certainly benefit from playing as a secondary option early in his career. He’s an interesting investment for a team that can afford to be patient.

24. Rockets (from Bucks): Ayo Dosunmu, G, Illinois

Height: 6' 5" | Weight: 200 | Age: 21 | Junior

In this scenario, Houston grabs another guard with its third pick, although realistically, it’s easy to see them moving off one of these selections in the 20s.

Dosunmu was one of college basketball’s most productive guards last season, with good size for a ball-handler despite being somewhat stuck between roles. He’s probably not reliable enough to play point guard full time and will need to continue improving his jumper to add value at the two, but he does have the size to match up with bigger wings and offer some lineup versatility. Dosunmu is still an acquired taste for some scouts, but figures to benefit from a smaller role in the NBA, where he can operate against defenses after the ball is swung and attack out of secondary actions. He could hear his name called in the 20s, and doesn’t figure to slip too far in the event he falls out of the first round.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

How far can we move up if we do this?

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No way. I will never read another article from these idiots.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

KD, Kidd, Payton and Zo. Out of 35 #2 picks since the lottery started. Mostly serviceable starters at #2 historically-i shouldn't have said bust. Rather if someone is expected to be a star at 2, but they are a 1x all star and nice starter, that's a let down at 2.

No one in this draft like KD. A physical anomaly- plus a hard lesson learned when choosing a big over the talented scorer. KD almost any other year would be clear cut #1. I've mentioned before how Cade could still fall to us because teams do stupid things like Portland taking Oden over KD.
    Kidd, and GP and ZO are more realistic comparisons. That's still 3 in 3.5 decades, and all 3 were within same few years in the early 90s. That was a long time ago.

Obviously this isn't science. Anything can happen.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If I were Miss Cleo, I could tell you. ;-)

sirjesse likes this.
  8. Possum

Possum Member

9. Damion Laverne

Need some wing depth with those later picks

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Indeed. This is franchise-changing. The top 4 picks in this draft are legit star prospects. We have a chance to truly rebuild if we have the patience and skill to draft and develop talent. I can’t say I’m confident in our regime, but we have the opportunity. Looking forward to seeing what we do with it.

11. sydmill

sydmill Member

I would certainly call Detroit to gauge what it would take to get to #1 but I'd probably be content to pick Mobley and Murphy in Round 1 and use pick 24 to acquire a couple second rounders. If you could somehow score Josh Christopher and Bones Hyland to supplement those first round picks? Noice!

Possum, HTXSportsAddict and B-Bob like this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

because the Gleague is really known for it's raucous crowds and environment...

personally i take more stock in knowing a prospect actually competed against grown men than teenagers.. but that's just me.

mike2k132 and Richie_Rich like this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

let cleveland have mobley.

raining threes and Caesar like this.
  14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

hmmm i wonder if there is a similar scenario here.....

Caesar likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Shouldn't really matter, competing against grown men isn't equal to having a higher ceiling. Mobley simply has a higher ceiling.

16. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

We're here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work the phones and get the best player or best value available.

We now have leverage to build.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We are so lucky. This is a glorious night!

18. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Huge! Best spot available in the draft. Detroit takes Cunningham (not a fan for THIS team) and we end up with 3 potential franchise players in Green, Mobley or Suggs. I'm hoping for Suggs (reminds me of Brandon Roy, but with better vision), Green is an absolute freak, and Mobley will be a solid NBA big, like Ayton (but with a shot) in a few years.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't think Cleveland is considering Green or Suggs. If they had #2 they would probably be looking to pair up Mobley with Jarrett Allen. So in my mind, if we value either guard over Mobley (and I do, both of them), then I would be trying to extra a future first from Cleveland for the opportunity to trade up a spot. Then at 3 we get the guy we wanted all along. To me it's Jalen Suggs.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see it either. The offer we will hear rumored would be a swap with Orlando. 2,23 and 24 for 5 and 8! But NO way the Rockets are passing up #2. Magic just got screwed, glad it wasn't the Rockets. They are going to be sending the worst commissioner of all time a horse's head.

Green is the best shooter/scorer in this group of 4.Ton of upside.

I'd be thrilled with Suggs at #2 pick on this team, need a high IQ player and I love his defense plus his unselfish play would be great for Wood and Porter. He'll score enough to keep teams off balance but think Jason Kidd type setting up the offense for EASY buckets and picking the ball from everyone's pocket.

The only way I see Mobley is if we trade Wood for a king's ransom. I get it he can defend 3 spots and most likely will develop a shot from deep. But Wood and Mobley is too thin! Trade Wood for picks and we are tanking AGAIN!

Green or Suggs let's see them in the workouts.

Bo6 and ashleyem like this.