1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 NBA Draft Lottery - 6/22/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 20, 2021.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Make money spend money

2. Fantasma Negro

Fat Gordon should be on someone else's roster come next season.

3. mightybosstone

One silver lining I hadn't thought about until just now with Detroit getting Cade: Houston is getting a Pistons 1st rounder over the next few years that's heavily protected. It's top 16 protected next year, top 18 protected in 2023-24, top 13 in 2025, top 11 in 2026 and top 9 in 2027 before it reverts to seconds.

With Detroit getting Cade, I have to think the Rockets end up getting a first rounder from the Pistons in the next 5-6 years. So if he had to go to a team outside of Houston, I'm glad he went to a team in the East that Houston could indirectly benefit from.

4. vince

vince Member

After the Rockets found Tate and Martin, I think I'm excited about this Rockets front office to find the best talent to fit this team.

Heck they got an un-drafted free agent to make the 1st team all-rookie team.

5. PWR

PWR Member

We're stuck with him, lol.

6. vince

vince Member

That's the attitude, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

banzai likes this.
  7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Bruh!

coachbadlee likes this.
  8. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Please just someone who can shoot. Case stays in the East thank God.

9. vince

vince Member

Rockets found a good season to suck! It was as far away a possibility when the Paul/Wesbrook trade went down. None of us would have foreseen the events as they happened. Harden was content and the Rockets were winning, but talk about team implosion.

So relieved that the Rockets didn't lose their top pick to OKC, and end up with the 18th pick instead. This was a major win. Now the Rockets management need to find a star with that 2nd pick. A few options to pick from, when it's perceived that there are as many as 5 sure fire stars in this draft.

10. mightybosstone

Houston sports has given us a **** ton of lemons over the years. At least tonight is a night when you feel like you don't need to make lemonade. I just see it as another potential positive on a really good night to be a Rockets fan; haven't had many of those in a while.

#671 mightybosstone, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  11. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

12. vince

vince Member

I'm stoked, this was an amazing turn of events for the Rockets organization. It was literally a coin toss if we even kept a top 4 pick or ended up picking #18..... Geesh, that would have set back the organization a few seasons. Man I'm loving the lemonade....

dcfma, ashleyem and mightybosstone like this.
  13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I feel like I can breathe again. What an enormous win for the Rockets.

14. PWR

PWR Member

Don't make this difficult...

It's simple.

Richie_Rich, Bo6 and lionaire like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Via Ben Dubose https://twitter.com/BenDuBose

Stone: "We're certainly hopeful that it's very impactful. There's a lot of work that has to be done. We have to figure out who's going to be there, who's not going to be there. We have to figure out if drafting is the right thing. But it's better than all-but-one alternative."

Stone: "The easiest way to make a mistake is to predetermine what you're going to do. We'll do all the work."

Rafael Stone said the #Rockets did not do a "countdown" event with as the draft order rolled off. Thought it would have been unpleasant.

Stone: "The goal is to find a star player. That's always our goal. When you bring in young players, you're really looking for star potential."

"We're likely to get someone really talented if we pick the pick." Says if they don't, it's because they're getting someone who's extremely talented

Rafael Stone on potentially trading the No. 2 pick: "It's not necessarily that you're looking to do that, it's more that you shouldn't foreclose anything." Stone says that had the #Rockets landed the No. 1 pick, they would have the same approach

Stone says the #Rockets intentionally frontloaded their draft workouts toward players likely to be available in the 20s, since the top pick was so uncertain. Now they'll move on to a higher tier.

Rafael Stone is in Chicago (for the combine). He says Stephen Silas is on vacation, but he'll join him there in a couple days.

Rafael Stone says he's not particularly worried about positions, when it comes to what they do with the No. 2 pick. Wants the best player, thinks great players can always play together.

Stone says he did not actually see the cards unveiled on the lottery. He was reading a book. "I had an alarm set at a certain time and logged on."

Rafael Stone on free agency: "It's always been more likely that we're going to be a mid-level team, and stay over (the salary cap)." He points out that they COULD go under, if needed.

Rafael Stone on his conversation with #Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta after tonight's news: "We're all aligned, and we think we're going to build something special here, over time."

Rafael Stone says he's a "big information guy," and he will listen to anyone, including @BigSargeSportz, about what they think he should do regarding the No. 2 pick.

Rafael Stone's final message to #Rockets fans tonight: "I expect that we're going to be a fun team to watch grow. I hope our fans enjoy it. I think it's going to be a fun next few years. ... We feel good about the project, feel good about the plan."

Stone: "We're trying to grow back into a perennial contender, and we're very confident that we're going to get there."

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

My thoughts exactly, unless some idiot trades for Wall without us giving up assets.

juanm34 likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Kispert yuck. Green with the 1st defensive big with our second pick even if we move up.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So this is what it feels like to be on top. Only 2nd/3rd feeling to winning a championship.
    We should be getting one of the two stars Green/Cade in the upcoming draft.

Richie_Rich and Bo6 like this.
  19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Kevin would like a word with you...

gfab-babyboi likes this.