1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz Great John Stockton did his own research

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ExTexanNowEastCoast, Jun 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ExTexanNowEastCoast

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Sounds about right.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Did he actually say anything about vaccines that would indicate he is against them?

A lot of people, including some fairly intelligent people, felt the US went too far with shutdowns last year. I don't agree with them on that in general, but they are there. It wasn't an easy choice to make in many cases, as even Anthony Fauci indicated.

I'm willing to give Stockton the benefit of the doubt that his opinion is a bit more nuanced on this issue than one might assume from a quick sound bite.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This guy.:rolleyes:

So you think he was duped into appearing in the video?

34to11, Reeko, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  5. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

if your only research is sitting on the computer at your home, it aint research.

B-Bob, UTSA2step, Ramo$e and 2 others like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

DID THEIR OWN RESEARCH

UTSA2step and ak99999 like this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

Yea theres a big difference between saying that shut downs weren't done properly or maybe just as they allowed some essentials doing that with regulations and limits of people inside or allowing small businesses to do what we allowed big business which to seperate and limit people and exposure somehow rather than just no business what so ever.

This was so unprecedented, the entire world shut down and many places did it differently and there isn't a one size fit all considering economics and other factors.

Likewise is not anti vax to learn more about the current vaccines, the new technology, respecting there aren't long term studies, and that given the circumstances people are going to have to compromise bc the urgency of the virus/immunity vs not getting the sureity you typically can and having the time for all those things to come to light. ITs cluster**** of a situation for the whole world, there is a lot of compromise, questions and yes there are the conspiracy people who think gates is putting a chip in his head(gates business and foundation history are fine to question, he hasn't had a history of unabetteted altruism- i would never compare him to fauci as he did himself) but generally people are screaming down people on the fence as well, some may never come over, but each person counts and the culture of it reeks of twitter cancer culture and short form over reaction.

will hve to wait and see what STocktons whole view on it, but from this clip there are just questions towards the shut downs and blindly listening or agreeing

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

bmelo likes this.
  9. durvasa

I don't know. All I know is what he said. I'm not going to join yet another internet pile on by people who want to infer more than that.

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yet you chose to come to his defense when you actually don't know if there is actual nuance.

Makes total sense.

34to11 likes this.
  11. durvasa

Yes. That's what "benefit of the doubt" means. If I knew there there was nuance, I wouldn't have used that phrase.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/06/18/jazz-legend-john-stockton/

Here’s the basic deal: Patrick Gentempo of Park City and Jeff Hays of Murray founded “Revealed Films,” in 2017. They’ve released nine video series, including hits like:

• “Money Revealed” — “Discover the Real Secret to Making Millions!”

• “Wine Revealed” — ”Every single one-of-a-kind interview and mind-blowing episode will revolutionize your relationship with wine.”

• “Christ Revealed” — “We invite you to go on an epic journey that uncovers NEW SHOCKING EVIDENCE that will deepen your faith.”

• “GMOs Revealed” — “Learn about the one GMO risk no one is immune too.” (Their typo, not mine.)

And, of course:

• “Vaccines Revealed.” — “Join Us NOW Because You Won’t Find This Controversial Information Anywhere Else!”

“Vaccines Revealed” is not a new show from Revealed Films — it was first released in 2017, and then they adapted and changed it for the pandemic to take advantage of the COVID-19 vaccine scares.

Like the other Revealed series films, it operates on a Freemium model: You get the 5-minute trailer for free, then have to enter in your email address for Episode 1. It alone is 2 hours and 40 minutes. If you want to watch the rest of the nine-episode series, you pay $79 for a digital download, or $149 for the producers to ship the DVDs to you.

It turns out that if you pay $79 to do this — as I did, to write this article — they will also upsell you on a 10th and 11th episode, and maybe some other bonuses here and there. I failed in my journalistic duty to note how much those additional extras were, so excited was I to see my hero, John Stockton.

Stockton appears in Episode 2, it turns out. Episode 2 is 2 hours and 6 minutes long, and Stockton’s interview with Gentempo is about 30 minutes of that.

Truthfully, Stockton’s section is more about his disappointment in COVID-19 restrictions than about his vaccine distrust. Stockton’s case is that, essentially, if it weren’t for one key year in his life, he wouldn’t have become an NBA Hall of Famer, and that there is some potential Hall of Fame kid out there who wasn’t able to show off his basketball talents at the right time as a result of the coronavirus restrictions.

“One of the things that kind of sticks in my head is Steph Curry,” Stockton says in the series. “I mean, losing Steph Curry to humanity, in terms of basketball, would kind of be a crime. And I thought about his senior year. He was on nobody’s radar. None. He had done nothing to set himself apart from anybody else in the entire college basketball, and all of a sudden the NCAA tournament hits and he gets a role, and one of the teams, unfortunately, he beat was Gonzaga [Stockton’s alma mater]. But suddenly, a nobody became Steph Curry.”

This is, well, not accurate. Curry played so well as a freshman that he won his conference’s tournament MVP and was named to the U.S. under-19 national team. By his sophomore season, he was nominated for an ESPY. By his junior season, he was the NCAA scoring leader. The idea that one season would have cost Curry — or Stockton, for that matter — an NBA future isn’t really the case.

But, sure, kids missing out on opportunities is an understandable bummer. His frustration for this, though, is a bit scattered in direction.

“The health district is a small group of people. How can they possibly tell a store owner, or a gym owner, or a bar owner, restaurant owner, how to be safe in his business? They don’t walk in their shoes,” Stockton says. “If you try to bypass the health district, if you try to bypass the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention], if you try to bypass the governor, there are significant ramifications from a legal standpoint, from an institutional standpoint, that become overwhelming.”

Near the end of the interview, Stockton says enough to expand his platform from shortsighted but understandable frustrations on COVID restrictions to misinformed bloviating on scientific issues.

“It’s as simple as that. It’s recognizing that it’s a virus, and, frankly, not, if we trust the CDC’s own numbers, it’s not a very dangerous one by comparison to other viruses,” Stockton says, for example.

“I don’t know what’s causing the holdup,” Stockton says. “If it’s a vaccine, I think that would be a very scary nature to continue on. Just because you’ve got a vaccine, I don’t know how you can test a vaccine in this short amount of time. I think vaccines, maybe more than anything, should be tested over 10, 20 years. But, then again, they wouldn’t be that effective then — at least they wouldn’t challenge the fear, because you couldn’t be done in a timely fashion, but there we go.”

The vaccines have been tested pretty extensively — both before they were released and after, now that hundreds of millions of people have been vaccinated. While Stockton seemingly recorded the video before the vaccine’s release, it’s disappointing, yet revealing, how he’s already ready to write off the results of the testing.

“I hear my kids and my grandkids hearing these things, and accepting them as truth, when I know by my research — and that’s a significant amount of research — that it isn’t,” Stockton says. “And it’s very frustrating.”

Unfortunately, it seems likely that Stockton is doing his research from the other “speakers” featured in the “Vaccines Revealed” videos — and that’s where the real problematic stuff enters.

We’ve already spent significant time debunking the statements from one “Dr.” Ben Tapper, an Omaha chiropractor featured in the videos talking about how there’s “scanning technology” in the vaccines — there’s not, and the idea is ludicrous. Andrew Wakefield, the man who perpetrated the original fraud in linking vaccines to autism in 1998, is interviewed in Episode 2, before Stockton. Wakefield says, in the videos, that the vaccine wasn’t tested in animals. It was.

TV presenter Del Bigtree is interviewed in Episode 1; he told people to deliberately infect themselves with the virus on his show. Dr. Zach Bush is featured, and his “grand theory of health is based on the assumption that Mother Nature is a hyper-intelligence and (embraces) Bush’s spiritual desire to reconnect with her.”

These aren’t good sources of information for anyone, let alone a Hall of Fame point guard. But it’s not as if Stockton’s views are uncommon. There are tens of millions of vaccine deniers out there. That an aging Catholic granddad in Spokane, Wash., would fall prey to this sort of misinformation isn’t exactly a surprise. Truthfully, it’s a spectrum of beliefs: Stockton’s worldview is kind of the gateway drug to the more hardcore lies featured from other speakers in the “Vaccines Revealed” videos. Frankly, if I were making the series, I would have led with him.

But Stockton being vocal about this — among all of other issues he could have chosen — is, undoubtedly, a bummer. The man shouldn’t be “canceled,” or whatever that would entail. Disappointment, though, is fair.

Never meet your heroes, they say. Definitely never buy their $79 anti-vaccine video series.

#12 J.R., Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why are you giving him the benefit of the doubt?

What are you basing that on?

14. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Stockton was extremely humble and played the game for the love of it. With that said, don't take things out of context. I didn't watch the video yet I assume somethings were taken out of context. And a personality like John with such contrast would sensationalize and draw so many basketball fans to the story. Hence the ratings achieved.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's a lot of nuance.:rolleyes:

B-Bob likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/06/18/jazz-legend-john-stockton/

STR8Thugg likes this.
  17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

This is not the post of a Houston Rockets fan.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

What do you call re-search in Utah?

Looking for another wife.