1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Embiid stock dropped because of his injury history. He was projected to be #1 or 2. There are many raw big man end up being bust, like Okafor and Noel. Scout need to be smart on interview about their IQ and talk to their coaches about their work ethic.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Could be. I just know that while everything has looked good with Green, from stats to wow plays, the biggest thing that stood out to me watching him vs g league competition was how small(short) he looked.

Rudyc281 and Caesar like this.
  3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Greens closer to Latrell Sprewell than MJ/Kobe

saleem, Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Member

forgot the j*zz. Same story for them.
    Mitchell 13th pick
    Gobert 27th pick
    Clarkson a 2nd rounder

5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

There’s going to be lottery type talent at 23 and 24

This draft is very deep

I would be pissed if we traded three first round picks to move up to seven

D-rock, saleem and Caesar like this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

those are fair points about the measurements. i will say that the footage you showed is where jordan is 2 years older than where jalen is at right now.

furthermore the gleague ended 3 months ago and the next NBA season starts in October. That's a 7 month off-season, more than enough time to add a few more Lbs to the frame. all with a nice G-league salary and NBA experience training regime under his belt which is another reason i'm so bullish on the green stock.

here is jordan at the same age as green :

Caesar and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Exactly, And this is the draft to hold on to your pics

saleem and Caesar like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@Caesar I mentioned boy body. Here is an article on Jordan growth.

https://ironmanperformance.org/new-blogs/2020/4/30/lessons-in-growth-maturation-from-the-last-dance

So Jordan hit his growth spurt that tailed off at 19 (end of freshman year)
    So the question is when did Jalen Green go thru his?......tail off when?

@D-rock foresees thinner centers......so a thinner version of MJ works
    in today's NBA. MJ gained weight because he couldn't get past the "Bad
    Boys" Pistons. They used the "Jordan Rules" of knocking him down every
    chance they got. Centers were all behemoths. Now not so much. Jalen
    Green at 195 pounds will be killing it in today's NBA.

The shoulders of Jalen Green were comparable to MJ at 19.....both capable
    of adding 15 to 20 pounds. I question the narrow shoulders of Mobley?
    I need Mobley to gain 25 to 30 pounds to play center proficiently. IMO.

I'm in agreement with you @Bo6

P.S. here are the average weight and height by position in the NBA in 2019.
    So I'm being generous about needing Mobley to gain about 25 to 30 pounds.
    SF's are near the Mobley weight of 218 pounds (SF's average 220 pounds)
    This is why I have Mobley as SF in the NBA.....Small Ball Center/PF

#1688 ApacheWarrior, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Caesar likes this.
  9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I’ve been watching a lot of tape on Green this week and man, I see why everyone is excited about this kid. I now have him as a clear #2 behind Cade (over Mobley). He has the tools to be a great guard. Not sure where the Kobe comparisons are coming from, but he reminds me more of a more athletic Booker, but the kid definitely has his own game. I was impressed with this film review session, it seems like this kid gets it:

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I thought this was crazy as well, and it is. But I don't think its as crazy to compare the 19 year old versions of them. Neither Kobe or MJ went number one either. The odds of Green panning out to be MJ or Kobe are extremely low to non existent, but a player a tier or two below them like a Devin Booker or Jayson Tatum is still worth the #2-4 pick IMO.

#1690 Rocketeer, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Green is apparently 180lbs right now. 15lbs of solid muscle to get to 195 is a lot and should be enough.
    Rookie MJ was 195. He was 212 in 91 during the first championship IIRC from a video- got up to 220, 228 while playing baseball but preferred around 213-218. I know he was routinely listed at 205 but measurements were all jacked up those days and rarely updated from rookie measurements(thats how you get guys thinking LeBron weighs heavier than Karl Malone-or how many of the 90s HOF centers were listed really low weight.

So if you consider prime championship run MJ i believe himself said he was 216, thats about the same as Jalen getting to 200lbs. 15-20 lbs of muscle gain is A LOT. None of that happened until MJ was around 28. If you consider physical prime MJ which was scoring 37 and 35 ppg the better player with the weaker teammates, then Green would be that weight AFTER gaining 15lbs of solid muscle from his current size-which-again- is a ton.

So if that 85 USA team MJ who had just turned 21 a few months prior was 15lbs of muscle from naturally growing + his non weight training(or maybe light weights-but he said he didn't touch weights IIRC) from 19 years old where he looked around 180-185 at UNC as a freshman- then Jalen has a few years for his body to mature for sure. He still doesn't have the frame IMO, and he doesn't have the wingspan and looks shorter to me- but maybe he has a growth spurt in both those areas. Late freshman growth spurt to 1984 summer when he turned 21 years old a few months prior in February.

Were on a good timeline for Green to hopefully hit his own growth spurt and he's already playing and succeeding against better than college level.
    He's my 1B choice right now.

J-Mac, saleem, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's because whoever did that mock didn't know what they were doing. Why oh why would the Rockets draft 2 PGs in the first round?

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well Green is already on pace to score more as a rookie than Kobe. Just sayin.

RasaqBoi, ApacheWarrior and Caesar like this.
  14. raining threes

Or Mitchell

RocketOrg, saleem and Caesar like this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Would Eddie Jones start in front of green? I think so. 10th pick just 2 years prior to kobe and an all star 2 way player. Green has no chance to land on a team with someone in front of him at his position. All things equal- i think out of high school kobe would have wrecked the gleague and hyped himself to the #2 pick to Toronto and possibly could have overtaken AI in Philly. Similar position as Green right now except I think AI was more of a must have pick than Cade.

saleem likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes.

raining threes likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Idk? Looks like Jalen Green changes:
    from age 14 to age 15 (subtle change)
    age 15 and 16 (looks the same)
    from age 16 to 17 (subtle change)
    from age 17 to 18 (bigger change)

https://ballislife.com/jalen-greens...s-from-paper-thin-14-y-o-to-potential-1-pick/

I still think believe he is growing some.

In the video one can see the change of directions in the lane.

But I want other teams to like Mobley more. So I will say no more.

saleem, Caesar and coachbadlee like this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Comparing these "prospects" to all time greats is just plain silly and completely unfair to the prospects and downright disrespectful to the greats ....

We can talk abut what they do well and don't do so well without comparing them to anyone else .... or at the very least some more reasonable comparisons than Kobe , KJ and KG.

saleem likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ok one last one.

Jalen Green highlights make Kobe rookie highlights look slow and pedestrian

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't really disagree with the idea that defense is their main issue , they can score ..... how many times did they score 120+ and lose ?! Seems like quite a few ....

But Mobley is offensively challenged , a poor shooter. He has no touch ..... even in drills where no one is in his face , he's clanging shot after shot ..... from 4-6 feet.

Would you take Draymond , Gobert or Joakim Noah #2 overall ? These are guys who have all won DPOY but are offensively challenged. I don't think you could justify taking 4 time DPOY Ben Wallace there , dude never averaged 10ppg for a season.

Yeah , maybe Mobley puts it all together and becomes a decent shooter .... but I really think the odds of that happening are rather low - how often do you see big men make the leap as shooters ?

The bust potential for Mobley is sky high ..... even if he's DPOY , he'd be seen as a swing and a miss if he averaged 12&12. We're expecting so much more out of this pick.

Denovo, saleem and RasaqBoi like this.