1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Thanks I noticed Green already has the step back and turn around jumper in his bag already. Which is very impressive....we only have 8 days left to find out where we stand. This draft lottery can’t come soon enough.

Rudyc281, coachbadlee, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  2. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

3. dmoneybangbang

COMPAQ CENTER likes this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In 2001 they traded 13, 18 & 23 which was enough to get to #7 for Eddie Griffin.

If they miss out on the lottery, they'll have 16, 22, & 23 which is noticibly worse. And you have to find a team with so many holes theyd trade quality for quantity. Just looking at the teams slated in that range, there dont seem to be any obvious partners who would benifit from volume that dont already have multiple picks.

Anything is possible, but i wouldnt assume that trading into the lottery would be easy, and if something is available, it would probably be into the back end of the lottery.

Also, EG is a good example of why its not always a great idea to put all your eggs in one basket, even if it is a really nice looking basket.

#1664 Ottomaton, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Bono, D-rock and saleem like this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like it. If we get Josh Christopher and Jaden Springer in the later rounds that will catapult us to contenders for the next 10+ years. This draft is deep

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

@D-rock

All your favorite big men are gone by the time we pick at #23 in that mock draft.

D-rock likes this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's 18, 23, and 24.

Ottomaton likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

True, but Bassey is still there.

COMPAQ CENTER likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Cade is the most advanced shooter, most hype, but has trouble getting by college level athletes.

Green put up very nice numbers in the g league which is higher competition than college, has wow moments and is the most athletic. But he looks smaller to me than 6'5. Size may be an issue.

I like Mobley's demeanor, very Duncan esque, humble, and cerebral, avid chess player. But I worry about his assertiveness, can disappear on the court.

Kuminga, next Sekou Doumboya, bust.

Suggs is that dude. I'm not saying I would take him #1, but I see the least downside, highest floor, safest sure fire future star. If some of the other top 5 guys reach their full potential and max upside they are better than Suggs, but that's all a gamble and question mark. With Suggs you are getting a leader, winner, head of the snake top notch all star pg in a guard's league.

Rudyc281, Marteen and COMPAQ CENTER like this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

lol first two plays are a mobley TO, then him jumping on a pump fake layup. then jumps again for an easy layup.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i mean MJ was picked #3...... right where jalen green is projected to go.

no one saying Green will be the next MJ but you can't tell me you look at North Carolina footage of MJ and DONT see a resemblance in their games.

ApacheWarrior and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yep, will need to trade up.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Hmmm. Good question

Booker was compared to Klay Thompson when he came out of college. I don't think
    Booker has disappointed. Probably has turned out to be a better ball handling Klay;
    but lesser defending Klay.

If I think Green is close to MJ / Kobe.....then I think Green will be elite.
    If Green ends up Booker/Beal/Klay then I will still be happy.....excellent
    player with All-Star potential.

It's fair to ask, "would I be disappointed by drafting Jalen Green #2-4 and he turns
    out to be Beal/Klay/Booker?" I feel that way about Suggs. Some here feel Suggs
    is the second coming of John Stockton. I'm fine with the Rockets getting DaVion
    Mitchell or Jared Butler or Chris Duarte or Scottie Lewis or McBride or McLaughlin
    later in the draft instead. Especially since Wall, Eric Gordon, Khyri have a year of
    contracts the Rockets have to eat.

I counted 17 to 20 PG's /SG's going in most mock drafts in round 1 this draft.
    Jalen Green and Cade standout as elite for the guard spots, imo. The rest
    have little to no distinction between them. Suggs/D Mitchell/Jared Butler
    are winners.....but with the right players around Duarte/McBride/Scottie Lewis
    so can they.

It's not that anyone is disappointed with Booker level....it's where he is drafted that
    concerns everyone, correct?

It's Fultz or Kwame Brown that we wish to avoid drafting in the first round.
    Although Fultz came around this season; unfortunately not for the team
    that drafted him though.

18pbr and saleem like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

I have seen posts on here saying his ceiling is MJ/Kobe, and then there was the post yesterday saying he’s already shown MJ/Kobe potential…that’s saying there’s a chance he could be the GOAT or get to Kobe’s level…if that’s the case, Jalen Green is a prospect only rivaled by the likes of KD and Bron the past 20 years, and we shouldn’t even be discussing who the #1 overall pick is

this poll shouldn’t even have other options

never seen the likes of Kobe or MJ get tossed around so loosely like it’s nothing

Dobbizzle and saleem like this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Member

Some of the top teams are built from under the radar guys-
    Devin Booker was a 13th pick/ Ayton was a #1 and clearly will never be their best player(Similar with Mobley?)
    Kawhi was a 15th pick / PG13 =10th pick
    Joker was a 2nd rounder/ Jamall Murray=7th pick/ MPJ=14th pick
    Giannis was a 15th pick/ MIddleton was a 2nd rounder

Sixers the only one with their 2 best players being #3 and #1 overall and the #3 Embiid will always be better than the #1 Simmons
    Lakers the other with 2 #1 picks and obviously the Nets got 3 top 3(Obviously i don't see any of the incoming top 5 hyped to be anywhere near their level when they came into the league-outside of Harden who flew under the radar but was still a #3 pick). Is Cade really a lock-must have #1? He's not. Were all considering others. No one is unanimous #1 and that usually doesn't bode well from looking at history at #1 and usually a few picks down is the real superstar franchise player.

Overall you see a shift toward players who weren't scouted to be what they are today. I wonder if we keep thinking about the obvious guys when maybe they're not so obvious. Suggs is definitely under the radar right now due to the guys ahead of him, but history is showing someone in the teens or later will be a hidden gem and future star. If we nail our top 4 pick plus our middle round picks in this deep draft, we could be on a fast track to playoff team for sure- with potentially more great picks if the Nets fail and fall apart or can't stay healthy.

Bo6, saleem and Madmanmetz like this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

In terms of the body contortion and mobility and first step explosion? Sure, but the size difference is clear to the eye test. Not only did Michael have some of the biggest NBA hands ever, he also had a 6'11.5 wingspan at 6'5 barefoot height and he had very broad shoulders. Kobe was nearly identical size and body type as young Michael outside of hand size. Both had a solid frame to gain the strength they did.
    Jalen has small shoulders and frame. I like how someone mentioned he looks like he still has his boy body, but the difference in shoulder width and arm length looks drastic to me. He's long legged with short torso and short neck. Jalen also doesn't look legit 6'5 and absolutely not 6'6 imo. He looks like a tall 6'4 to me. If Jalen was built the way Michael or even Kobe was built, he'd be a lock for the #1 pick.

Check out MJ's shoulders/deltoids and his back

Here they even mention his muscles-so he always had an impressive body especially for someone who didn't weight train

#1676 Caesar, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Bo6 likes this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Jalen green is not long legged, he just wears short shorts which make it seem so.

Bono likes this.
  18. Caesar

Caesar Member

Jalen not only doesn't look like his listed height, and not only are his shoulders and frame small, he apparently has a 6'7.5 wingspan compared to 6'11(kobe) or 6'11.5(MJ). That's drastically different body to be the next MJ/Kobe. Closer to Ja Morant build, not that Green can't succeed because of it. I'd take a slightly bigger Ja.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Jalen Green is as much mj/kobe as Cade Cunningham is Luka. All these comps are ridiculous.

Suggs as Brandon Roy is a decent comp though.

Bo6 and Caesar like this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Maybe it's the short neck that gives the illusion as well? Jordan wore tiny shorts and his body still looked well balanced.