1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by malakas, Sep 13, 2015.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

If djoko didn’t assault a line judge he’d be one behind fed and nadal.

dude is on another level. Nadal might win another French or 2, but djoko will win at lest 2 slams a year for the next 3 years. Dudes GOAT

Pbev99 likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Both of the finals were pretty boring really -- it is def cool to see fans cheering in a crowded stadium.

I'm really, really tired of hearing about Serena and her quest.

3. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I am fascinated by the Naomi Osaka quitting the French Open because of mental health story. I wonder if this will change post-game/match press conferences in sports.

Considering how rarely athletes say anything worthwhile and when they do it gets overly scrutinized on social media...are they even worth having anymore?

4. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I think there will always be value in it. From a reporting perspective as well as from a fan perspective. It gives the outsiders (fans etc.) the opportunity to get to know and hear the player/coach perspective on things.

It's agonizing as a player to have to interview after a difficult loss, but it's a part of the game. When the fans are the reason you get to be rich and famous, that kinda sucks to say no when asked to talk to them.

Slyonebluejay and TWS1986 like this.
  5. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Agreed.

6. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Osaka said her issues intensified after the 2018 US Open Final. The one where Serena had her meltdown and Osaka was booed. So in a way this is Serena's fault. :eek:

7. PhiSlammaJamma

First thought. They should have handled this long before today. If someone has a disease, that's a reason not to do.

Second. These press conferences are dumb because reporters are not only afraid to ask the hard questions generally speaking, but they never ask a question an athlete might be interested to answer.

Third. They could easily let her decide what questions to answer ahead of time, and record. She would likely do that. my guess is you will actually learn something interesting from it nobody would have thought to ask.

Finally. Think they should end the presser. It so rarely provides anything interesting or any juice. It is promotion, but it's terribly boring these days, and there are much better things an athlete could be doing to promote the sport. When athletes talk to each other, it's relaxed and fluid most of the time, and you get more truth.

whag00 likes this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

RIP Feds career. The third greatest player I had the opportunity to watch play.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This Zverev and tsitsipas semi is fun

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This is going to be some bad ass tennis

Nadal vs Djokovuc

11. Roc Paint

Nadal is one nasty lefty

12. Roc Paint

I know the girls are not gonna wanna hear this, but the men’s tennis is so much more entertaining. It is what it is

13. malakas

malakas Member

Will we get to witness Nadal's 3rd loss in RG?
    I don't feel confident Nole can finish the job

14. malakas

malakas Member

wow he did it. Amazing. 3rd ever loss in RG.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That was a great match looked like Nadal came undone in the last set.

malakas likes this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

Djoko finishes this tournament off he could have the grand slam title by end of year. I didn’t see this happening. Holy ****. GOAT

17. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

This was one was probably one of the most important matches in Tennis history. The men's Grand Slam record stays at 20. Even if Novak is gassed in the final and loses, he prevents Rafa from getting #21 and he's the only person to beat Rafa twice at the French Open. If he does win another French this year, it will be a safe bet he passes Roger and Rafa.

18. Roc Paint

I must say I’m not a big tennis fan, but how can you not love the historic nature of this match. Not to mention the athleticism of these two going head to head

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

that 3rd set was a pure classic back and forth. Not sure what happened to Nadal after that 5-0 start in the 1st.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I thought Rafa wasn't healthy the last time Novak beat him. After the first set when you thought he was going to get bageld quite a turn around. I guess Novak is the GOAT.

Pbev99 likes this.