1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michigan man who shot 6 year old boy attempting to retrieve his bike was released on $10,000 bond

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by HardenVolumeOne, Jun 11, 2021.

1. HardenVolumeOne

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/boy-shot-in-arm-while-retrieving-bike-from-neighbors-front-yard

YPSILANTI, Mich. (FOX 2) - A boy from Ypsilanti Township is recovering after being threatened with a sledgehammer and then shot as he retrieved his bike from his neighbor's front yard.

Arnold Daniel says his kids were outside on their bikes on Candlewood Lane in Ypsilanti Township when they stopped their bikes and left one of them in front of a neighbor's home.

When Coby went back to get his bike, Daniel said the neighbor came out with a sledgehammer in his hand and said something to the boy. Daniel said he didn't know exactly what was said but knows his son said something back.

After that, the neighbor went back inside and Daniel said he shot a gun through the front window, hitting Coby in the arm.

"He tried hitting me with a sledgehammer but that’s not going to work because I’m too fast. (Then he) got a gun and BOOM shot me right here," Coby said.

The bullet went through the boy's arm and he was rushed to the hospital. Daniel said the doctor told him that had the bullet been an inch in either direction it likely would have killed Coby.

The young boy is home from the hospital and expected to be okay.

According to Daniel, they've had issues with the neighbor in the past including one time where he saw the neighbor trying to throw one of his child's bikes away.

The Washtenaw County Sheriff arrested the neighbor, who was identified as Ryan Le-Nguyen. He was charged with assault with intent to murder.

Three days later, he was released on a $10,000 bond. Daniel is angry and confused.

#1 HardenVolumeOne, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. HardenVolumeOne

here he is in court, this judge should be ashamed of herself

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So his defense was that he was shooting indiscriminately because he heard a noise yet he initially used a sledgehammer to specifically try to hit the boy which means he knew that it was a little boy he was about to shoot at.

What a weak and pathetic easily debunkable defense.

And why does attempted murder warrant such a low bond? The psychopathy to attack a 6 year old with a sledgehammer and then shoot him means he is a clear and present danger to the community.

4. fchowd0311

plutoblue11 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just wondering if we can draw any broader societal conclusions from this incident . . . you know, about bikes or children or whatnot

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

SMH a 10k bond really the courts are just not fair to black Americans at all.

Ziggy likes this.
  7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Should the bond process change to make determinations of guilt prior to trial if the evidence is apparent? Bonds get criticisms from all sides: too light, too heavy, shouldn't exist.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Jesus Christ that video with the kid screaming he shot me! The **** is wrong with some people?

mdrowe00, Ziggy and Andre0087 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

I personally believe they shouldn't exist and being jailed before trial should depend on the brutality of the crime and whether the individual is a flight risk with means to leave the country easily.

#9 fchowd0311, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    malakas and Kim like this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of the guy who shot a girl for taking his flag

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Clearly 6 year olds shouldn't be riding bikes. It was his fault to begin with for trespassing and the homeowner was simply standing his ground. After all, it could have been a midget that was packing heat. They probably found skittles in the kid's pocket when he was taken to the hospital, but some liberal nurse quickly hid them in order to keep the police from drawing conclusions.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I mean, I'm okay with this personally, but it'll suck for anyone who is innocent who is arrested. It'll also suck because our criminal justice system is slow as molasses (lack of resouces + covid). Ain't no easy answers here. That dude who shot the kid should probably be in prison for life - sure. The dificulty is coming up with a proper set of rules to implement that process without screwing other things up.

Major and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

He is the neighbour so that means not only he is free but he will be in close proximity with his intended murder victim.
    No matter the procedures there needs to be more emphasis on the victim's safety.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I first read the article I didn't know the races of any of the people involved and agreed that seems too low of a bond for attempted murder. Knowing the races of those involved that is still too low for attempted murder.

Glad to see they raised it but given the severity it should be even higher.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I presume you're being facetious but MI does have a Stand Your Ground Law and since he was at home a Castle Doctrine law. It wouldn't surprise me if Le Nguyen's defense is based on that but he undercuts his argument by saying that he was shooting indiscriminately and not a a specific threat.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shooting a little kid. SMH.

The longer wealth inequality lasts, the more kookoo gun culture will bleed across racial lines.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  17. lpbman

lpbman Member

Too heavy, too light, too black or too white. Sounds cumbersome.

Colt45 and Phillyrocket like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The righteous in me believes that should be a life sentence

The savage part in me believes he should have his head stomped in

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

You can almost sense his glee when he hears $10k. Hopefully his email and phone # gets bombarded where he cant rest while out on bond. This judge is auditioning for a houston gig with that BS.

20. Buck Turgidson

Of course he was shooting indiscriminately, no way he could aim at anything with his ridiculous eye twitch.

mdrowe00 likes this.