1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

I was putting the year they hit free agency

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

BAH GAWD IS THAT CARLOS CORREA’S MUSIC?! ;)

3. Elienator

Elienator Member

“Guaranteed” was probably the wrong word. I meant the known offer on the table of 5 / 125 million instead of whatever he will get after the season (possible fewer years and less money if hurt).

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Carlos with an up and down season thus far… but he’s had a pretty solid stretch lately.

what do people think? Is the back still an issue? Is he still worth about 5/125 (the offer he turned down)?

I can see both sides of the argument… but the more he sticks up for this team, with the bond he’s developed with Altuve, with the way he’s trying to motivate the young pitchers within games, with the overall embracing of being the “villain” and vocal voice when this team comes under dumb media scrutiny… he still seems like a safe bet for the Astros to consider, minus health issues.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He has the second highest OPS currently on the team and is probably the best defensive player on the team.

I think he's worth it as long a she shows a full healthy season.

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the price of poker has gone up with his recent uptick in performance.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  7. Major

Major Member

Sorry - I know this is from April but I just saw it with this thread bump.

Springer is older, just as injury prone, isn't necessarily the defensive talent that Corrrea is, and got more than 5/125 - and he was never looked at as a generational talent. Even if Correa misses the rest of the season, he almost certainly get an offer bigger than 5/125 in the offseason. There was very little downside in rejecting the Astros' comical offer.

msn likes this.
  8. the shark

the shark Member

As others have said it's about him being healthy for the entire year.

If he is he's going to have some offers north of 5/125. One team that could potentially make him a strong offer is Baltimore. Mike Elias (formerly of the 'Stros) is their GM.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Seems like they’ve been more cautious with Bregman than Correa in terms of health… and we all know Springer hasn’t been able to really play much at all.

It is still only June, and nobody can predict what his back will do, but the longer we go… and the more he’s able to elevate his performance… the less concerned they should be (especially since there’s nothing structural).

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

My stance hasn't changed. Even if he plays 150 games and wins the MVP, I'm not giving him a 8-10 year deal. Frankly I wouldn't give anybody an 8-10 year deal, but certainly not a guy who will at best have 1 full year of elite production.

I know good and well what Correa can do when healthy, so his recent performance doesn't really change anything in that regard. I need to see reliability, and this being his last year it's all but impossible even if this year is a full one.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He’s easily worth the 5/125. If he plays the rest of the season at his current pace I assume you have to be north of 30 million a year. 6/180? No idea what his market is but would love to keep him.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So you’re still hesitant because you feel he is inherently “unhealthy”…?

Altuve will end up being on an 8-10 year deal when its all said/done, albeit with a very team friendly 3 years.

I completely agree with the sentiment based on his past track record. It’s just hard to predict exactly who he is right now…. Still, despite being here in his 6th year. Do they up the dollar figure/year to avoid longer term commitments (like they did in the contract negotiation)?

13. Screaming Fist

He's pretty reliable when healthy. 2020 is the only season where he was inexplicably mediocre despite being healthy, and I think the Astros in general may have been suffering a hang over from the cheating scandal last season given how many players failed to play up to their expectations.

I think Correa's injury history will certainly impact the contract he signs as otherwise he would be looking at the 250-300 range given the contract Lindor just signed. Still, if he remains healthy I would be a little surprised if gets less than $200M, with something like $180M being a worst case scenario.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

$180-200 million is still a lot of money for somebody you don’t believe to be healthy.

Same went for Springer who somehow skirted the “he gets injured a lot” tag when people were willing to make an offer.

texans1095 likes this.
  15. Screaming Fist

It's funny to note that Correa, who many Astros fans said this off-season would be lucky to land a $120M contract following his departure from the Astros, currently has more WAR this season than Shortstop God, Fernando Tatis Jr.

msn likes this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Have a feeling he gets stupid $ from someone and leaves which really sucks considering we’ve lost Cole and Springer and Grienke and JVs money are coming off the books.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Unless he suffers a catastrophic injury this season ... astros ..Y’all have to make a competitive offer to keep him . You don’t have to match the top offer (especially if it comes from a huge market )

but the 6/120 was a lowball . The 5/125 was a bit of a lowball .

grienke and verlander coming off the books . We WILL have $ to spend . The young , cost-controlled pitching looks very promising .

it’s OK we didn’t make a deal before the season ... but I think it would’ve given us a discount .

he’s playing himself into a position of strength and he’s been a great leader in the organization.

keep his ass

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He wanted the contract before the season. The Astros insulted him with their offer and then insulted him again when they barely tweaked it. He made it very clear that he is gone after this season.

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I think Correa's future contract isn't just dependent on his performance this year but also Lindor, who has had a very subpar season after signing that mega deal.

20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Brian Kenny of MLB Network did an interesting piece a few weeks ago on the upcoming SS FA class. One of the most interesting points was that there will most likely only be 6-8 teams really “in” on the SS market. So many teams have their SS of the future already on their roster or very close to the majors and won’t be making a run at these guys. It’ll be fascinating to see how that impacts the market for these guys, especially someone like Correa.