1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To Serve & Protect, Volume XXVII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Jul 17, 2020.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I read that type of quote but didn't take it to mean that his sticker was valid since that technically isn't a crime. I took it to mean that there was no evidence that he had any weed since possession of it would be the crime.

I do think it's interesting that he pled guilty to obstruction of justice. Could it be possible that the other charges were dismissed in exchange for that guilty plea? Honest question. All I know of law I learned on Law & Order.

I would say that it is possible that the lady cop who pulled him over smelt the weed. I don't know for sure. All we know is she claimed she smelt it and the crazy cop certainly dealt it.

My point there was you were wrong in saying it was proven that the cop didn't smell weed because none was found.

It doesn't matter, though. Derrick would still be expected by law to exit his car and comply with the officer's request

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why does the cop deserve respect? Especially when he is showing no respect?

This guy is a cop, he does not automatically deserve respect.

Teased him about being calm, really?

ROCKSS and RayRay10 like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why do I need to watch wrestlers or Judo, I have been trained by LEO's in restraint and going to the neck is a last resort and only if you or others are in danger.

Have you ever been in a restraint training or deescalation training? They have nothing to do with wrestling or Judo the passenger was not a threat so there was no need to for the head.

Your observations seem to be giving the officer all of the power and ignores how hostile he was it does not matter what happened before words should cause you to go from 0-100 especially not a LEO.

This is why it's hard to get convictions for LEO's because of being"careful" when observing and ignoring that the LEO is a professional and is trained to do stuff like this as a last resort or should be trained that way.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. JumpMan

You actually sound like the angry cop:

Why does Derrick Thompson deserve respect? Especially when he is showing no respect?

The respect you show for figures of authority such as a cop should be automatic, but really, everyone deserves automatic respect just because they are people with dignity. Even the alcoholic bum living under an overpass pissing himself deserves your automatic respect. Even if one behaves in such a way that shows a lack of respect for themselves and others you still respect that person to preserve your self-respect.

I've said this already, but this situation wouldn't have caused a ripple if only one of the two main characters of this story would have showed some respect. Derrick for as much as he disagreed with the decisions of the cops could have acted differently. And the cop for as much as he disagreed with the decisions of Derrick could have acted differently. Sadly, they both choose to embarrass themselves and disrespect each other. So here we are.

Does this even matter to you? You already agreed that Derrick was disrespectful to the cop and excused him because the cop was disrespectful, too.

Since you are a teacher, another position of authority, if a student was teasing a teacher for losing their cool when dealing with insubordination, would you say that the student was disrespectful to the teacher?

Either way, the disrespect that truly matters, in terms of the law since it led to a guilty plea of obstruction of justice, is Derrick refusing to comply with the orders of the cops. Which reminds me that the reason angry cop had to enter the scene was that Derrick refused to comply with lady cop's order. Lady cop could have been asking him nicely, who knows.

If you don't mind me asking, what were you taught growing up about respect and by who? Just wondering.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If the driver made a mistake, it was not looking at the officer while the officer was talking to him. That was sure to at least irritate a cop. Instead, he looked the entire time at what I assume was his phone. Perhaps I need to watch the video again, but I found it a bit strange. Having said that, of course that officer should be fired. He went off the reservation with his temper, and that is unacceptable. It's also unusual that there were at least two other cops with him. Why? I just find that odd. Neither one said a word. Heck, they may not even like this *******, but that's how they roll.

I've been pulled over several times, mainly during the '60's and '70's when I had very long hair, a beard, and was living either in Montrose or in Midtown Houston. One time in particular, I think in 1968, was interesting. Two members of the HPD pulled me over while I was driving a girl home who lived in that area. Late at night, but not that late. I did what I always have done when pulled over. I roll down my window, look right at the cop and say, "May I help you, officer?" Sort of like, "is there a murderer on the loose and you want to give me a description?" The cop at the window said, "You almost ran that light back there. Get out of the car. Miss, you stay where you are." He said what intersection it was, about 6 blocks away. In other words, I was being pulled over for essentially no reason. For being a White hippie.

One cop talks to me while the other searched the car. I tried to keep an eye on the cop searching the car, as they were known to park a joint somewhere to insure a bust, but remained polite. The cop searching my car gave up and walked around by the trunk. I heard a crack and the sound of some things hitting the pavement. He walked up and said, "I have to write you a ticket for having a broken tail light." He had broken it with his big metal flashlight. I took the ticket, smiled, and thanked him. After they drove off, I cussed a blue streak, but the last thing you wanted to do back then was piss off a Houston cop. I realize this little story has little to do with the topic, but I enjoyed telling it. It's boring as hell being "self-isolated" for 4 months with only my dog and my partner in crime.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope.

I don't demand respect from students and don't automatically think I deserve it, I gain the respect of my students through my actions.

Yes I was taught to respect anybody of authority and it was bullshit from a bullshit time, i realized that just because you have a badge or a title does not mean you deserve respect, it's why people abuse that authority.

ROCKSS, RayRay10 and JumpMan like this.
  8. JumpMan

I agree with this approach 100%, but it's not what I asked.

Are you saying you wouldn't consider a student teasing you for losing your calm over dealing with the student's insubordination disrespectful? That's closer to what I asked if you want to make it personal.

That's too bad. It is a proper lesson despite there being people you won't agree with or who don't respect themselves or anyone else.

Who taught you about respect? Do you still respect that person?

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I learned very quickly not to let them know I am flustered and there is no insubordination with a teacher or a cop, the students and citizens don't work for me or the cop.

If a kid knows they can run you hot they now have control and that ain't happening in my classroom ,if a kid is just not doing what I want, I talk to them one on one and tell them the consequences of their continued behavior once they don't have an audience they calm down.

There where different ways to handle that situation instead of getting in the guys face and if he still refused you don't go he man and restrain him yourself when he had other cops.

You cannot really yell or get in a kids face these days anyway, you could lose your job.

I don't think anybody really taught me respect I was a pretty quite kid who was always compliant, that changed in college when I realized age does not always bring wisdom.

RayRay10 and JumpMan like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Still protecting and serving in Arkansas.

mdrowe00, Ziggy and FrontRunner like this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Disgusting.

Press charges and sue and hope something comes out of it.

Ziggy likes this.
  12. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

That is a joke, WTF was he thinking, sue his ass

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Would the cop by liable for murder or manslaughter if she has a miscarriage?

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nope. Qualified Immunity.

Ottomaton likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw this story on the news this morning and I agree this is a dangerous and unnecessary maneuver by the LEO.

Glancing on some of the previous posts from this thread I don't think this situation is anything like the Derrick Thompson situation. Nicole Harper was attempting to comply by turning on her hazards but she had no safe place to pull over. The LEO misunderstood that and lost patience or else he dangerously miscalculated. Either way from what I see this is on the LEO.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Really WTF, I bet he probably had been in training recently and was just waiting to use that maneuver.

There is no way he is supposed to have a job he endangered her life as well as others on the highway.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

June 9, 2021, 10:31 PM CDT
    By David K. Li

A pregnant Arkansas woman's car was flipped on its top by a pursuing state trooper who accused the motorist of not pulling over fast enough, according to video of the brief chase that's being used in her lawsuit.

Nicole Harper, 38, went to bed on July 9, believing her unborn child had died in the crash on U.S. Highway 167 in Jacksonville, Arkansas, her lawyer Andrew Norwood said.

"She cried herself to sleep," Norwood told NBC News on Wednesday.

Harper was going 84 mph in a 70-mph zone when trooper Rodney Dunn flashed turned on his siren and flashed lights for her to pull over, according to her lawsuit filed last month in Pulaski County Circuit Court.

Dashcam video, obtained by Harper's legal team, appeared to show her slowing, activating her blinkers and changing lanes to the right, so she could eventually pull over, Norwood said.

But on the stretch of southbound U.S. 167, the shoulders are narrow and Harper wanted to pull over safely at an exit, the motorist has claimed.

"It's essentially a bowling alley with bumpers on both sides," Norwood said. "There's nowhere to go; you're boxed in by concrete barriers on both sides."

The pursuit was 2 minutes and 7 seconds long when the trooper tapped the back of Harper's car in a "pursuit intervention technique," more commonly known as a "PIT maneuver," the lawsuit said.

The tap caused Harper's car to suddenly veer left and out of the dashcam's view. The trooper immediately did a 180 and circled back to see the red SUV on its top, footage showed.

The trooper's action "constituted a reckless attempt to engage in conduct that created substantial risk of physical injury," Harper's civil complaint said.

"Because I didn't feel like it was safe," she answered

"Well this is where you ended up," the trooper responded. "Ma'am you got to pull over."

The Arkansas drivers license manual urges motorists to pull "to the nearest/safest spot out of the traffic lane" when police are exercising a pullover.

In the emergency room that night, a doctor told the two-months pregnant Harper that a fetal heartbeat could not be detected and she believed the baby had died, Norwood said.

But an exam by her OB-GYN the next morning did pick up the heartbeat, and Harper's daughter was born in February.

In addition to speeding, Harper is being charged with failing to yield to an emergency vehicle, which carries a maximum penalty of a $400 fine.

A spokeswoman for the Arkansas state police declined comment on both the lawsuit and the July 9 incident.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

****ing Savage.

Hope he likes practicing pit maneuvers in prison.

19. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...yeah...

...I'm wondering where in the hell he thought she could stop...that right shoulder might as well have been another lane...he wants to maybe get clipped by some passerby while he's doing his civic duty and getting his rocks off giving her that ticket?

...and then he says that's what you get when you don't follow police commands?

Really?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member