1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Holy Sh*t - Someone might be interested in trading for John Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

saw this thread on the 1st page hoping it was new and recent, but nope…

2. DonatelloLimestone

we can open up time for players we want just like thunder did with alhorford. these are vets, let alone yea WAll looked athletic surprisingly, but was inconsistent and inefficient. Remember this guy didn't play half the season, he also didn't play for 2 straight years and is the wrong end of 30. Add that to his contract, no team is giving up assets for him. We'll wait till hes an expiring next summer or t rade dealine then maybe

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why would any team want Wall's dead weight contract? Except maybe... Washington. LOL.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It’s a bump. @J.R. posted a tweet by something called the NBA Analysis Network (I’d never heard of it, either) that quoted “a former NBA executive” as telling them about the Knick’s interest in Mr. John Wall, “NBA star point guard.” @J.R. thinks it’s likely bullshit and so do I (very probably click bait), but it’s not from March, it’s from earlier today. The link is in the tweet on the previous page. J.R.’s a machine. I don’t know how he finds all the stuff he lays on us, but don’t shoot the messenger.

Hell, if nothing else, it’s a little entertainment. We can all fantasize for 5 minutes (or less) about a team, naturally the Knicks, actually giving something for Wall.

B-Bob, D-rock, fattz and 4 others like this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

I think some teams still believe in Wall. I did. But now I know better. Could care less about the contract, but there's no room for Wall here. Most of his career was based on athleticism, but without leadership. That's a bad fit for us now. He's a blockade, not a mentor.

D-rock, clos4life, fattz and 2 others like this.
  6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team willing to make a move for Wall. I can't imagine him costing anything aside from a salary match. My guess is we'd have to take on multiple players to make it work and wouldnt want to swap an equal contract (length + payout). Most likely some combination of small expiring deals and a player or two with 2-3 years remaining who are underperforming or are overpaid.

To me, Wall has to be a somewhat interesting player to a number of teams looking to get to the next level. Depending on what happens to Denver, he'd be an improvement on that roster. Other possible fits include the Bucks, Heat, and Mavs. At his salary, I don't see anyone clamoring for him, but this past season was a success in him demonstrating that he could stay healthy, still has a first step, and can be productive in stretches.

D-rock, Corrosion and Shark44 like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I got Rick Rolled by a thread. Im getting old. 'never gunna run around AND desert you!'

[​IMG]

8. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

There is smoke with the Knicks and has been since last season but nobody should get it twisted. This is maybe having a chance here at getting a poo poo platter to dump him so Knicks can get a perceived "star" to add to their current relevance. He has some good years left and could sign a team friendly extension to even out the rest of the bad contract. The problem is either get it done this offseason or by trade deadline and this may be the only viable option aka team. If he had played well without issues and we moved earlier this might have already been done but it will take 2 2nds at least IF they are even still interested and don't go another direction. I have been mentioning this since before/around the Harden trade and I am by no means alone or the first one. It has been around the league so it's not some big secret. Dipo was another option. God, our FO is so f**kin stupid.

9. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Kemba and the Celtics agreed to part ways. A potential landing spot for Wall?

joshuaao likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We just need one team that's desperate or dumb. I don't think it's that impossible since he has two years left on his deal.

We might have to give away one of our picks but say we land #1 and draft....then I'd do it. I wouldn't want Wall getting in the way of his development...but say we give our pick to OKC then whatever...may as well keep him since he's such a great tank commander.

napalm06 likes this.
  11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Wall was certainly nowhere near as bad as many on this board think. Very successful 20-7 comeback season and we should keep him for the remaining two years of his contract and build a playoff roster. He didn’t look old to me at all so he should be fine for two seasons. Like the rest of you, I was disgusted by his selfishness and lack of mentoring the young players, but he will likely change/upgrade his game if playing with non-g league level players. We need him because we will get ZERO in return. I am a rarity who values our first round picks and will “throw up” if I see us give yet another one or two away just to get rid of a decent 20 point per game point guard.

Corrosion likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think if we get Cade giving up a pick with Wall (when we now have a crap load of picks) is a small price to pay so that Cade can be in an environment where he can grow and experiment his game.

I don't think that exists with Wall. Wall thinks he's the best player on the team, the franchise player, and his ballhogging last year proved that. He's not going to be friendly to a 20 year old rookie coming to take his spot and nor do I think he's going to willingly be his mentor. Better to sign some old vet min guard for that role and we have John Lucas as well for keeping his head in check for off the court stuff.

I think it would be worth a pick to have Cade and KPJ develop into a backcourt without the distractions of some past his prime superstar player that's still trying to hang on to his glory days.

All of this mind you is considering we get the #1 pick and draft Cade. If we get the #3 pick and draft Mobley or something then whatever...but I don't want a situation where we are like Wall has to move out of the way so Cade can grow...because that is exactly what will happen. Wall will eat up way too many minutes by virtue of his name and experience and Cade or KPJs minutes will suffer for it unless the Rockets plan on buying him out.

Wall had a 'good' year if you consider his history, sure, because he came back from a career threatening injury he proved he can still play. He may very well even play better...but what's the point? Our window for contending is years off.

B-Bob, D-rock and True Rocket like this.
  13. HROZ

HROZ Member

No way anyone trades for Wall. Just destroys their flexibility.

They'd either have to give up cap space or multiple players to match salary.

14. thekad

thekad Member

The Clippers don’t have any flexibility already. If they fail in the playoffs again, they could probably be sold on a Wall/House for Morris/Kennard/Beverley trade. Morris moved on to a third team.

JayGoogle and Corrosion like this.
  15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

He has the worst on court decision making skills we've seen in a long time. If he is mixed with another strong point guard might be able to mitigate that some but the coach would need to prevent walls creative side.

16. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Trading away picks to get rid of bad contracts and save money has helped demoilsh this organization.Every pick is needed no matter what. Eat the contract.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think you are right , Wall played well enough last season that there are probably a few teams who think he could help them ...

Just keep in mind that any over the cap team making a play for Wall next league year has to send out $35.45m in salary for matching purposes ..... That's not an easy task but that's your starting point - teams that have 2-3 players that add up to that figure that are on 2 year or less deals that they don't mind dumping - There's no way the Rockets want to extend their misery beyond Wall's current expiration date.

Yeah , Wall's fit here is an awkward one and ideally he'd be moved sooner than later but the financial aspect makes that extremely difficult , I think we might be stuck with Wall for one more season.

D-rock and HorryForThree like this.
  18. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

I think that’s the only deal we can realistically make. Knicks won’t be interested without draft capital

I LOVE kemba and he’s one of my favorite all time players and think he’d be a good guy to help the young guys off the court (not on the court), but it’s not a good deal for us unless we get something back

I wish he’d just go for a buy out giving quite a bit back so he can join the clips or some other team

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I could see it being a mix. A player or two with 1-2 yrs left, and then maybe a bad contract that still has 3 years left. Not wall bad of course, but maybe Eric Gordon bad.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

So you'd be content to eat ~15-20m in 2023/24 to get rid of Wall now ?

I really don't like the idea of extending the cap hit beyond Wall's expiration date nor give up assets to move him - particularly if you are likely to be a lottery team again next year .

Is he really that toxic to the development of any young players we might acquire that we need to either extend the financial hit another year OR give up assets to get him gone ?

I kinda see him (His Contract) as an asset in the 22/23 season .... If you are a good team you have a bullet in the chamber to get a whole lot better taking on between $35,525,070 to $59,208,450 at the trade deadline in that final season with nothing more than his expiring deal.

I guess this really boils down to how you feel Wall's presence might negatively affect the newly drafted players ....