1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I mean, ok...maybe take another look at those 'notes'.

Horford's contract is not shorter than Wall's (both are two more years, through 22/23)

DET 2nd Round Pick (via NY) is #32, not #58. They had the second worst record in the league this year. The #58 2nd round pick NY has is the PHI pick, as they had the third best record. That's a very good pick, especially in this deep draft, to receive while getting to shed a rough contract.

I understand we are also getting Turner in this trade. What I said is that, personally, I wouldn't want to part with two 1st round picks in a trade and also wind up with Horford's contract. I also don't think Turner is worth two 1st round picks, especially in a draft this deep. You want to trade two 1st round picks for a "serviceable backup big man"? TBF, I think Turner better than that description, but not a luxury we need when rebuilding. If we want to compete next year, better to resign Kelly for a little less money than Turner is due and keep both picks.

saleem and BallaDoc like this.
  2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I really like this idea, if we could shed one of Young or Aminu for a future 2nd. Wall, Lavine and White gives the Bulls a strong backcourt to go with some talent on their frontline. Should make them competitive in the East next year.

3. fattz

fattz Member

#43 fattz, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Re-examines notes (notices bad handwriting) I typed DET... meant PHI (hence #58)

I oops'd on Wall's contract ... technically Wall's is shorter (that last year is a player option that he probably will not decline)

I also put the option of using a 2022 pick (which IND may like since they already have a lottery pick this year).

The serviceable backup big man is.... (drum roll) Horford. Turner would be a starter.

I think the FO has done well with finding 2nd round talent and FAs.

But I like the idea of competing sooner rather than later with a healthy squad and strategically acquired vets (a la Phoenix) as opposed to collecting 1st round picks (a la Charlotte / Orlando)

History has shown that just because you have multiple 1st round picks that doesn't always bode well (esp. for Rox.. 98, 01, 12) TBF a different administration and each draft class is different...

Anyway... fair points all around... I enjoy positive discourse. Cheers!

xiki, D-rock and mikenm268 like this.
  5. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I agree with you on this sentiment, and I am in the minority of people that actually think the team would have been decent this past year without such bad injury luck (and keeping people out a reeeeally long time when they did get injured, because the tank), and as such, I want to compete sooner than later. I also agree about not collecting first round picks year after year after year, never trying to be competitive.

Where I would differ slightly from what you lay out is that for this year and probably next year, I want to keep our picks and keep accumulating young assets. If we are going to trade draft capital for veterans, let's consider that in 2023 when we have a much better idea of what we are, and have hopefully brought along some of these young guys to be contributors on a good team.

Corrosion, jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

But will the good players (vets) wait? It brings us back to timeline.

Wall and Eric Gordon probably don't have an option if they want every penny
    of their current contracts and might see it as their last big paydays. But I
    can see the others bailing on the franchise like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Cade or Jalen Green may stop that sinking ship feeling; but what if we
    fail to get one of those top 3 picks? What will Wood and Porter do?
    What would you do, if you were in their shoes? I know it's speculation
    due to not knowing the makeup of the team and/or it's roster. But I'm
    curious as to your opinion, being a vet surrounded by 19 year olds?

*P.S. I mainly posting this to break up all the Tinman threads that Derp
    blessed us with this a.m. Thanks Derp. Not criticizing your work
    @tinman much respect for you. But that's a lot of thread bumping.

mikenm268 likes this.
  7. R=$

R=$ Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Boston says no

saleem, xiki and Le$$ like this.
  9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Hahaha.

saleem likes this.
  10. R=$

R=$ Member

Danny Ainge just called , as a last act before leaving Boston pulls the trigger on this deal. ( Gift for throwing Ball into Mario's face ):p

11. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Fair question. I'm not saying we avoid trying to win, improve our roster, and sign/trade for veterans in the near term. I was just saying I don't think we should trade draft capital to accomplish that in the next 1-2 seasons.

If we are very good in two years and putting some draft picks on the table can bring in players to make us a contender (seems optimistic, but it could happen) then great. If we are still bad, or have missed on our drafts, etc, we probably need to keep those picks and keep trying to build a good young core. I would be very hesitant to trade away draft picks now unless it is to bring in a true 'best player on a championship team' level guy (which we have no shot at attracting right now).

saleem and ApacheWarrior like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Once again, excellent take. I agree with you.

And deep down question the vets wanting to be Rockets?

Groucho Marx line, "Im not sure I want to be a member of any club that
    would have me as a member."

Player probably has issues or hidden flaws if they want to be a Rocket right now.
    We (Rockets) have to prove ourselves (themselves) worthy.

saleem likes this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

There are only so many roster spots in the NBA; one is in the league or not.

ApacheWarrior, Corrosion and xiki like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This is true. Very true. You have given me hope.
    Why can't we land the best free agents? Nothing can stop us now!

Tilman: remember LTS rules the roster

Apache: oh yeah, that little thing called money and Tilman
    I'm back to suspect free agents with flaws.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I get the idea that when he came in as a new owner , he thought he could do it better than the last guy , working within the margins .... Everything since has been complete and utter failure.

Our only hope as fans is that Tilman has learned his lesson on spending after this epic collapse and realizes that not only do you need stars but you need a solid middle of the roster too ..... James Harden & 4 dudes from the YMCA just won't cut it.

We'll find out the answer to this sooner than later .... starting with Olynyk's bird rights and IF they use the MLE this year.

16. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Eric Gordon
    for
    Dwight Powell and Josh Green (and a second rounder?)

lakersuck2 likes this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

This is the place to post hopes and dreams and pretend like there is a chance of reality.
    IF we were to get Cade with the #1 pick... I would trade him to OKC
    For
    Wall / Horford trade (saves 13M and Al seems like a really good rebounding mainstay)

Then
    their 1st FRP, #18, #35 & #36 plus all remaining Westbrook trade picks turned into switches.
    Or
    All remaining responsibilities from the Westbrook trade forgiveness.

them:
    Cade is an Oklahoma product and will sell tickets for years to come even if he’s a bust.

Us:
    Wall is gone, we get our furniture back, and there is still franchise changing talent in this draft after the first pick.

mikenm268 likes this.
  18. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

This is interesting, I like the creativity. OKC says no, b/c six draft picks plus a swap, plus going from Al's contract to Wall's is way, way too much to give to move up 4 spots (you could argue it's a similar package to what we got for Harden). That said, here may be some deal in here that could be done, if the Rox don't think Cade is the guy, otherwise you just keep Cade. Other issue is that for OKC, with Shai and Cade, they wouldn't want to have Wall taking up minutes anymore than we would. Plus we can't use six draft picks this year, so we'd need to offload some of them, with teams knowing we had to make a deal.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Obviously.

20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

The perfect Rockets offseason:

1. Draft Cade
    2. Trade Wall to NYK for Nerlens Noel (S&T)
    3. Trade Gordon to the Warriors for the Canadian Kobe, Wiggins
    4. Re-sign Olynyk
    5. Re-Sign Brooks
    6. Re-sign Wilson

2021-22 Rotation:
    Tate/Augustin/Thomas
    KPJ/Brooks
    Cade/Martin
    Wood/Wiggins/House
    Olynyk/Noel/Wilson

Look during the season for the best value available for Augustin, House and Wiggins.