1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mosquitos:

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CrazyJoeDavola, May 28, 2021.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Does cutter harm your grass or plants?

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It harms your lower back stooping over to spray your yard.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I had a few nasty ones do a coordinated attack when I was cutting the yard earlier. Sons of b****es!

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Been using it for a few years and no harm to our grass that I can tell. Note that it does kill any bug that happens to be in the grass while you're spraying so if there are any "favorable" bugs (i.e., honey bees) you may want to avoid using this. You also want to avoid spraying on any fruits and vegetables you plan on eating. And with all the rain we've been having it doesn't stay too long in the grass.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Holy Jeebus try walking/driving through 3 foot tall soggy coastal bermuda. It's like the Alaskan tundra, just clouds of them (and grasshoppers) flying up everywhere you go.

I have a bat cave, they cruise around at dusk doing their thing, but apparently I need more bats.

6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Let us know how it goes. I've been looking into mosquito traps, but reviews are really hit or miss. Where do you hang it? I think I've seen battery powered and outlet powered ones. Feel like outlet puts a limit on where I can place one, while more convenient to keep it running 24/7.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I'd be very interested to know how it works. My big problem with the old-school bug zappers is that they are indisciminate, and kill a jillion good bugs along with the bad. That one looks to be designed better.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

We've had the 1 acre Dynatrap for 2-3 years and it does catch mosquitoes in addition to other bugs attracted to the blue UV light and CO2. It definitely catches mosquitoes but I would say it catches moths more. If I were to estimate each time I empty the bin it's 75% non-mosquitoes and 25% mosquitoes. That doesn't sound like a lot but any amount of dead mosquitoes is good for us! You have to hang this away from where you normally hangout outdoors and run it 24/7. The fan isn't very noisy and the blue light isn't distracting.

9. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I dumped out the basket after about 4 days of running it constantly.
    [​IMG]
    (Warning: might be gross if you hate dead bugs)

Positive is that it does seem to catch a good amount of mosquitos (I am in the Houston area), but also a lot of by-catch that's mainly very small moths. I'd say it 70% of stuff it caught is mosquitos.

It does seem like there are fewer mosquito in the backyard. I had a couple of mosquitos swarming my legs yesterday as opposed to 5-6 from the week before. That could also be a seasonal or weather related effect though.

Costco has by far the best price on Dynatrap if you're willing to wait a few days in delivery. I couldn't find it in-store.
    https://www.costco.com/dynatrap-12-...th-2-replacement-bulbs.product.100470001.html

It's $80 at Costco for the 1/2 acre model and 2 replacement bulbs. It's $95 at Amazon without the 2 extra bulbs. I ended up getting the model from Home Depot for $100 because it came with a wall mount kit. I couldn't find the wall mount kit for sale by itself anywhere.

Tommyboy and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and order the 1 acre model and see how it goes. I have a bunch of honeybees, ladybugs, praying mantisees and dragonflies around, those are the ones I really hate to kill.

jchu14 likes this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Based on my experience with the 1 acre Dynatrap, unfortunately dragonflies will be the one bug you listed that will be caught and killed. I have yet to see bees, ladybugs and praying mantises in the trap and we have those around our house as well.

TWS1986 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I doubt the battery powered ones will work super well since it needs to be on continuously. I read somewhere that the device uses 35w of power continuously. So it's not a small draw to run the uv light and fan. There is no way a battery would be able to do that.

I have seen propane powered ones that uses propane to generate the CO2 necessary to attract mosquitos. Maybe those have batteries to ignite the propane?

Luckily I had an outdoor outlet near a motion sensor light and I just hung up on the neck of the light. The 1/2 acre model is pretty light, maybe a couple of pounds? I wasn't worried that it was going to damage the motion light.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I spray insecticides monthly around my house to combat the mosquitoes. It cuts down the amount around us, but without the neighbors doing anything, it can only help so much. DEET is a necessity any time I'm doing yardwork. If I'm just enjoying the yard, I place a fan next to me since mosquitoes can't fly in moving air. This is the one I use since it's portable and battery operated https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Hybrid-18-in-Air-Cannon-Drum-Fan-P3340/307730215. I also arm myself with an electric bug zapper from Harbor Freight https://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-insect-swatter-62540.html?_br_psugg_q=bug+zapper.

For anyone spraying, make sure to spray vertical surfaces as that's where mosquitoes typically land (fencing, siding, tall trees). I do avoid any flowering shrubs/bushes to not affect the pollinators.

MadMax likes this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Completely agree with Duncan's suggestions! We regularly spray Cutter in the yard, along the house walls, on/around the patio furniture, decking, etc. It still amazes me the difference when I walk to my neighbors' yards and how many more mosquitoes they have versus ours. And also agree about using a fan to keep the mosquitoes off of you. We sometimes use a 36" shop fan whenever we're outside to supply a cool breeze and blow away the mosquitoes.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have had my 3/4 acre Dynatrap for a bit over a year and have yet to see a dragonfly in the catcher. Lots of other assorted flying bugs (moths, mosquitos, gnats, other types of flies). Perhaps I don't get as many dragonflies in my area?

16. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Has anyone tried Thermacell mosquito repellent? Does it work?

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Just double checking here...you spray cutter directly on to your patio furniture? Or just around it?

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Sorry I wasn't clear in my prior post. We have outdoor furniture covers so I spray the cutter on those and around/under the outdoor furniture. I have sprayed the outdoor furniture before but only after removing the cushions as they are made of teak wood. Hope that helps.

MadMax likes this.