1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Today is the 5th game this season that Garcia has pitched more than 5 innings.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Would be nice if we could get something for odorrizi.

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Quit dreaming. A guy that hasn't been good since 2019 and could make around 15 million next year with his incentives.... not tradeable at this point

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

for a team that needs a starter, the deal isn’t bad. I’m in no way a believer he is done, but I am a believer in the Astros young arms.

depends on what other gms believe but I’d take a couple lower level prospects for him. Don’t think that’s too much to ask.

5. the shark

the shark Member

Garcia's last five starts:

Tor 6IP 3h 1r
    Bos 7IP 5h 1r
    LAD 6IP 3h 1r
    Oak 5IP 3h 2r
    Tex 5IP 5h 1r

Yep let's trade him for a CF.

Laughable!!!

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Odorizzi's contract could top out at 3 years 39.25 million. If he earns that much it means he pitched a good amount of innings. It doesn't mean he performed that great. He has a couple incentive structures. One is a point system. He gets a point when he records 12 outs or more in an appearance during 2021 and 2022. At 20, 25, and 30 points it adds 2 million each level to his player option and 1 million each level to his buyout if he turns down the 2023 player option. He can max that out by making 15 4 inning starts in 2021 and another 15 in 2022... not exactly hard to do

He also can earn up to 6.75 million more in 2022 based on innings. If he throws 100 innings he gets 500k bonus. Then he gets a million each for 110, 120, 130, 140, and 150 innings. Then 1.25 million for 160 innings. He has 3 million in incentives for 2023 and would max them out with 150 innings pitched

Barring a long term injury, absolutely trash performances, or being relegated to the pen he has an easy path to max those incentives out.

In 2016 Mike Fiers threw 168.1 innings with a 4.48 ERA and 1.358 WHIP. I doubt anyone would feel that good if Odorizzi made 39.25 million and performed like that or worse for 3 years....

#146 Redfish81, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    raining threes likes this.
  7. the shark

the shark Member

Snake if you have something to say to me at least be an F'n man and say it on here as opposed to sending me a PM.

Also anytime you want you name a team in MLB that doesn't have a weakness please do so.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Garcia,McCullers and Javier need to be limited.

The Astros signed Odorizzi primarily to pitch innings that our young arms aren't capable of eating this season and potentially replacing Greinkes innings next season. He is still perfectly capable of doing exactly what they wanted him to do.

The innings math that led to his signing hasn't changed.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I totally agree. My point is his incentives and his bad performance thus far make him nearly untradeable on his own without eating money or adding prospects

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. raining threes

The Baez/Castro/Odorizzi FA signings aren't a good look for a young GM like Click.

11. bobrek

You don't want a backup catcher with an OPS of .871?

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good thing Click got Gurriel who's producing like Realmuto and Lindor combined for $450M less.

jiggyfly, Nook, No Worries and 5 others like this.
  13. bobrek

Don't forget that Brantley fellow. He's pretty good.

bigdaddy, jiggyfly, Nook and 2 others like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I should add that I wasn't the most enthusiastic about the Baez and Odorizzi signings, though I thought people made a bigger deal about the Baez signing than it was. I expect Odorizzi will pitch better.

On Castro, he's already earned his 2021 salary and he's hardly even played.

On a total view, the Astros probably had enough salary room for about 6 WAR this year mostly due to the pandemic reducing the $/WAR, and the guys they added are on pace for 8-9 WAR.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

If we're going to ding him for signing potentially helpful players who got hurt, don't we give him massive credit for not signing George Springer? I don't know you what you personally posted on this, but there were almost no dissenting voices to the idea of at least giving him 3-4 years at $100MM+.

Yes, Springer will get healthier and play - it's too early to judge. One could say the same about Baez and Odorizzi.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't really ding Click because Baez got hurt. I ding him because we needed more than one pitcher and you could have had both Ian Kennedy and Carlos Rodon and still had a million bucks left over compared to the price of Baez.

For the price of Baez and Pruitt this year you could have had Carlos Rodon, Ian Kennedy, and Michael Taylor.

Other pitchers that have done well and were way cheaper than Baez....

Chafin 2.75 million
    Melancon 3 million
    Graveman 1.25 million plus incentives
    Clippard 2.25 million
    Robles 2 million
    Petit 2.55 million
    Boxberger 1 million (minor league deal)
    Loup 3 million

Again, could have had 2 or 3 of the guys above for the price of Baez. In that market Click did not extract enough value. At this point it doesn't really matter how well Baez pitches. He's not going to top the value of what guys like Melancon, Graveman, Rodon, or Kennedy are providing at their lower salaries.

Click also failed in evaluating his own guys. Put too much faith in Paredes, Scrubb, etc to be like they were last year.

This is a results oriented business. Other GMs had better results in their moves... some had worse.

17. Screaming Fist

The Baez overpay was and is baffling. Maybe the Hendricks signing spooked Click but Hendricks and Baez are really in two separate markets. Scrubb looked like a guy who maybe possessed an ability to limit hard contact but that appears to have been just small sample noise as he's getting pummeled this season along with walking every other batter. The Paredes situation is just odd...by his minor league performance he should at least be an okay reliever. Maybe it truly is nerves or something.

raining threes likes this.
  18. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I agree with what you are saying.

Let me just add -two things have become apparent nearly 60 games deep into the season.

1- The Astros ABSOLUTELY have the core talent to compete and win a World Series this year.

2- There are some holes to fill.

I’m sure if you asked Click- he’d say he wishes he could’ve done a couple things differently this past offseason. The good thing is- GMs can sometimes redeem themselves at the trade deadline.

Assuming Odorizzi gets it together and that Baez returns at some point- that will help. I’d still imagine there will be a need for another quality late inning arm. Depending on what the CF market shapes out to be- we should have a couple options there.

Crane has shown his willingness to sign off on deals to help the team win. I’m not sure if there will be any “blockbuster” deals made by the Astros... but I have no doubt something will be done to help us get the expected level of potential.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. raining threes

I expected Click to re-sign the players that were already in the lineup, minus Springer.

I'm talking about newly signed fa's

20. raining threes

Exactly

Nook likes this.