1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think therefore I am.

I think not...

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Racism is a collection of racist policies, which lead to racial inequity, that are substantiated by racist ideas.
    Well what are racist policies then?
    Racist policies are that collection of policies that make up racism, which lead to racial inequity, that are substantiated by racist ideas.
    Oooookay, then what are racist ideas?
    Racist ideas at the ideas that substantiate racist policies which lead to racial inequity under racism.
    And what is racial inequity?
    Oh, racial inequity is the result of racism when a collection of racist policies are substantiated by racist ideas.

3. Buck Turgidson

"Racism is a collection of racist ideas, which are codified in racist policies, which lead to racial inequality."

That better?

#143 Buck Turgidson, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  4. Buck Turgidson

Because the Mormon Church (i.e. Brigham Young) covered it up, and then discouraged anyone to talk about it. Because they're a murderous cult.

5. StupidMoniker

No. The problem wasn't the awkward wording, it is that he defined racism by referencing racist policies, racist ideas, and racial inequity. It is like defining weight by saying it is how much something weighs. It is true enough, but not very helpful.

Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow that was terrible.

How do you **** up that simple question so bad anybody who has graduated High School English knows You don't define anything using the actual word you should be defining.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It is so freeing to have no integrity so you can get on network television and says things like this...

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a collection of buzz words that appeal to emotion. Trump's blog failed, in part, because a blog requires coherent sentences and narrative. His tweets were pure conservative boomer id; short, angry and flippant.

They stand for nothing other than their own anger. Saying "1619 and CRT, 1619 and CRT, 1619 and CRT" over and over again is the new "Where's the birth certificate" and "But her emails!"

subtomic and jiggyfly like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

I for the life of do not understand why anyone thinks this is a winning strategy that will carry over to 20/22 and some point its human nature to start tuning this **** out for everybody except the 30% that wants to hear anything that makes them upset.

If I was a Republican strategist I would be trying to create a big divide between progressives and Biden I think that's fertile ground because about 30% of progressives want a bigger agenda and they also just like to **** on moderates.

Doing **** like this just makes Democrats united.

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Karen's got a point with the manager.

Black Panther's best watched on 4K OLED panels than on CRT.

tinman, rocketsjudoka and jiggyfly like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want to start a new thread so am posting this here as it's related.

I was having a discussion with some friends last night, all who are white, and the discussion got onto Affirmative Action and race. One friend said that the problem was that people are identifying with racial groups like "Asian" and that Asians aren't the same as Japanese and Hmong have very different experiences. He went on to say that we should all stop considering ourselves members of races and just be individuals and treat each other.

I pointed out to him that yes it is true that the term "Asian" and "Oriental" previously is an artificial classification and that there is a lot of diversity in "Asians" but it's not solely up to us who fit that group to classify or identify as Asian. It's easy and naive, particularly as someone of the majority, to say we shouldn't have group identities based off of things like race and ethnicity. For members of minorities groups it's often not a choice.

Consider during the past year and a half there's been a lot of rhetoric about "The China Virus", "Kung Flu" and etc.. That's led to a lot of incidents of bias and outright assaults against Asian Americans as they have been blamed for the pandemic. Many of these assaults are against people who aren't even ethnically Chinese. For example a Hmong person living in Minnesota has nothing to do with Wuhan and their ancestors were most likely driven out of China a century ago and fought Communists for the US during the Vietnam war. They have no affinity to China or the current PRC government. That doesn't matter that they are still getting blamed and assaulted by someone just because they look like they could be Chinese. It's not up to the Hmong person to decide what group or race they are lumped in. That decision has already been made for them.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think including the bit about racial inequity breaks the circularity. "Racism" is a collection of policies and ideas that are considered "racist", where a racist policy or idea is, by his definition, one that leads to racial inequity.

15. StupidMoniker

That seems like a really good argument for not categorizing people by race and treating them as individuals. The fact that racists are racist seems like a really bad reason to also classify people by race. So your friends are right and the guy beating someone up because he is vaguely Asian is wrong.
    I disagree, and in fact gave you every part of the circle.

#155 StupidMoniker, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why black people don't build and do for self - PGabs
    We don't need to know about all those times black people did for themselves but white people burned it down and buried it in history - Also PGabs

Teach MORE history not less

Is it education or indoctrination?

“And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. ‘Who controls the past’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'”

“How could you make appeal to the future when not a trace of you, not even an anonymous word scribbled on a piece of paper, could physically survive?”

Rocket River

FranchiseBlade and jiggyfly like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except that’s not a choice that I can solely decide on. If someone were to attack me and say “you brought the China Virus” me saying I’m not from the PRC but was born in Texas and my family is from Taiwan and Hong Kong is likely not a distinction that they will accept.

So yes of course we should consider ourselves individuals but it’s naive to think that this we have all the say in the matter. It’s not our choice that racists are attacking people that look a certain way.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It depends on how one defines "racial inequity". It's circular if you define it as "an inequity resulting from racist policies or racism". If you define it as unequal outcomes for whites vs blacks vs ... , then it's not circular.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. StupidMoniker

Yes, at that point it isn't circular, it is really, really dumb. Like the NBA draft is a racial inequity. An open chess club is a racial inequity. Unless you really have draconian rules to perfectly mirror the general population, unequal outcomes are inevitable, because people are not copies of each other.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do moderates want to **** on progressives? Or is it a one way street.

To be fair you are the only moderate here who really lays it on progressives unprovoked.