1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas GOP and Voter Suppression

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MystikArkitect, Oct 16, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I usually try to avoid doomsday scenarios but these laws have the potential to do great damage to democracy. I agree the restrictions to mail in voting, times of early voting and etc.. aren't an end to democracy but the possibility that state legislatures and courts could overturn the elections is something to be worried about.

weakfromtoday, B-Bob, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

Why would I make an alt account, am i worreid someone anonymously might judge me for an objective observation?

Why would I be bias against biden, trump, or anyone? They are politicians, I try to evaluate them as employees hired by the people to represent them. I take into account how they act towards the donor class, how he acted with banks, making deleware such a great tax destination to register your LLC, I try to take into account his exectuve decisionw hen he supports costly wars, when he supports costly domestic drug wars, private prisons, so on. Is heallowed to make mistakes? absolutely. But all in all be it trump or biden, if they've shown to be wrong as the final decision maker then why not keep them in a cabinet for their 'experience' and knowing how washington works and get another new decision maker that doesn't have teh track record of supporting war that cost trillions of dollars, millions of lives, or a drug war that did the same? I don't think thats some sort of controversial take about being bias, they are reasonable.

And i think the only arguments work for him is that hes better than trump, I am one who believes we could put a dog in office nad he may do less harm to the constituion and democracy then trump did. He is a clown show, I get that.

Likewise with Kamala, I'm looking at how she dealt and pandered to the police unions. How she dealt with police corruption. How she dealt with enforcing drug laws. Someone similarly laughing about useing mar1juana while continuing to jail non violent offenders, be it black, white, brown, ruining lives of families, ruining tax paying dollars when you run as a racial trailblazer doesn't bode well.

I don't see why those aren't reasonable criticisms that someone would be biased or ignore that. And

Also, can you post that article without the paywall? Curious to read more of it.

So the normal tv response or twitter response is attacking Tulsi. Which I'm with, but at the same time, for the content of which she goes at kamala for...all that and more is verified as her record in California and I don't see why people are so hung up of having actual politicians answer questiosn about their record without screaming hes anti this or that. Thats literlaly the same old playbook that trump uses...legitimate questions? Oh they hate christians, or conservatives, ro white or whatever demographic they could hide behind, patriotism whatever. It stifles actual betterment. That doesn't mean biden is hopeless or eveil if I point out his record or even things he said as early as last year, I belive people can change to the forces of democracy, but sitting here and getting mad at people asking questions is the same crap trump does and its sad to see blind unobjective tribalism.

Astrodome and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Do you realize you're posting on internet?

This isn't Tumblr (TLDR).

B-Bob and jiggyfly like this.
  4. DonatelloLimestone

Why? This is internet stuff I'm just requoting?
    Whats tumbrl for?
    What a message board for that I'm violating the principles? Should it only be memes or short tweets?

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Paragraphs breh. I scroll passed your posts too. Break up the blocks of text a bit.

6. DonatelloLimestone

fair enough, outside of the first paragraph i thought the others were digestable and some videos too. but I get what you mean and being in the same argument that he was making that its the internet, I just vomit it out and put little effort to try to edit it.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

What a waste of our taxpayer dollars, all in a desperate search to overturn votes and to stay in power. We need to turn Texas Blue people! Enough of the Big Lies.

Deckard, DaDakota and jiggyfly like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Keep Texas Red Deb.

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I have no respect left for any of those guys, so they won't get my vote. Even though Trump is gone they still carry on his legacy of lies and propaganda. We deserve better than that.

plcmts17, Deckard, VooDooPope and 2 others like this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

It was a highly competitive primary. Do we not expect challenges to someone like Biden's past record when he worked in the Senate for so many years with conservative southern Dixiecrat types on bipartisan bills??? Did we think nobody was going to challenge him on those years even though it makes a case that he can work with modern day Republicans, and might be a reason why so many independents voted for him??

Did we not expect Tulsi Gabbard to grand stand with so little substance???

Dude.... it was the primary, and most of these moment are actually about substance even if there is grandstanding.

Meanwhile at the GOP Primary...... Marco Rubio and Trump were literally measuring dicks.

Also- Why would you make a new account????

Oh I dunno... just go ask Jopatmc, Basketballhollic, Bobbythegreat, and Daschuda.

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Random shower thought to dismay my liberal friends. What if we opened up ballot sites to for-profit companies to run? The election still needs to be regulated and overseen by a state agency, obviously, and the ballot companies don't get to see how anyone votes. But they get paid (by the state, not the voter) for every authenticated and unique ballot they submit to the state, and perhaps get penalized for every duplicate or otherwise inauthentic ballot the state rejects. The companies would have a profit incentive to have short, efficient lines, to have machines that work (less capex for the state to carry, and less obsolescence risk), to have rational polling locations, and to get out the vote. They could pool money in a trade organization to fund a media marketing campaign to encourage people to vote.

Of course, a for-profit ballot site company will make the best money in dense urban areas and less in rural areas which might mean longer drive times out in the country if left unaddressed. Maybe the pricing is dynamic and the state pays more for rural zip codes. Maybe there is a regulatory requirement for companies licensed to collect ballots to provide adequate facilities in the countryside if they operate in urban areas. Also, the fattest margins for a ballot collection company would come from the voters who were going to vote anyway, and might lose money on hard-to-reach/convince/accommodate voters. But there can be counter-measures there too. Some companies might specialize in such voters for political motivations. Maybe if the pricing is dynamic, the state pays a premium for ballots from such voters.

Won't partisan interests operate such companies so they can manipulate elections? The temptation is definitely there. You'd need strong oversight on discrimination at the polls to make sure people aren't turned away, that the secrecy of the ballot isn't violated, and that no one is ballot-stuffing. But the hope also is that competition forces providers to provide good customer service or else voters will just move on to the competitor down the block.

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He's just working you up but that much hate can't be good, you check your blood pressure lately? :D

London'sBurning likes this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Deb hasn't become jaded to D&D poo flinging and the politics we fling poo with.

Give her time:D

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, 99/61

Not worked up at all. I just call out BS when I see it.

15. London'sBurning

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

What!?!! So I’m doing it wrong?

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

You should consider hiring an editor.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are all over the place, I have no idea what Tulsi has to do with anything, it reeks of deflection.

It's really pretty simple if you think Biden can barely form a sentence and black people don't know what's good for them nobody should take you seriously.

The fact that you think all Biden did was ran on is I worked with Obama shows you did not actually watch the primaries or you are very biased and just want to denigrate Biden in any way. Biden is far from perfect and deserves criticism but "he can barely complete a sentence" come on man.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I can't get behind this, you go the way of the TSA and have low wage unmotivated employees who don't really care about following procedures and could also possibly show bias.

What happens if the Manager of the Urban polling booths is a Trumper and only hires Trumpers and they have full authority of the biggest polling place in Fulton or Harris county, or what happens if a radical progressive do the same thing.

I just think when you go for profit it allows seedy things to creep in.

I might be way off bass but its the middle managers on down I would be worried about in this hyper partisan climate.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I feel ya. It's a bit tongue-in-cheek because I'd be pretty nervous about introducing a profit incentive to such a critical government function.

But it's not really the same as TSA (they outsource? I didn't know). Both situations would be monopsonies, with the govt as the only buyer. But in a TSA situation, travelers have no choice which TSA agent they deal with, but voters who don't like one polling place can simply go to another. So if you have incompetent, rude, unmotivated employees, you could go out of business. I'm not talking about subcontractors running government sites; I'm talking about entrepreneurs competing with each other to get the most voters. And if they are bad at it, they lose their investment.