1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dodgers - Cheating Scandal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Jun 4, 2021.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I.D.I.O.T.

The numbers don't lie.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/06/04/sticky-stuff-is-the-new-steroids-daily-cover

“This should be the biggest scandal in sports,” says another major league team executive.

[...]

According to the data, L.A. has by a large margin the highest year-to-year increase of any club in spin rate on four-seam fastballs, which are considered a bellwether pitch. In fact, the Dodgers’ four-seam spin rate is higher than that of any other team in the Statcast era. There is no proof the Dodgers are doctoring baseballs, but nearly across the board, their hurlers’ spin rates on that pitch have increased this season from last.

The Dodgers declined to comment.

cbs1507, c1utchfan925, vince and 3 others like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Astros fans pointing at another team for using sticky stuff

[​IMG]

vince, msn and prospecthugger like this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The difference in reaction between this and the trash can scandal is quite noticeable.

4. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Yeah, *** Trevor Bauer.

c1utchfan925 and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  5. Radricky

Radricky Member

This will all get blamed on the Astros for starting it somehow.

6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Not denying it. Verlander and Cole have been implicated.. and likely guilty.

7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Clayton Kershaw having brown sticky substance at the back of his hat.

Umpires never check his hat for illegal substance, and he gets ejected.

His dirty hat has always been a problem.

I know Clayton Kershaw is a bad pitcher with his shaky control. He can easily be hit in the playoffs.

8. Buck Turgidson

HOW MANY ****ING THREADS DO WE NEED FOR THIS?

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

as many as it takes

[​IMG]

10. Major

Major Member

One had hard evidence.

It's weird that the defense to "we were caught cheating" is "well, we think other teams probably are too".

11. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

The front offices of other teams never claimed they didn't cheat. It was just individual players or managers who would come after the Astros. That in itself is just weird. It only makes sense if most teams expect to be found guilty if investigated.

In any case, it's a media thing -- no point in asking for justice now. I would prefer the Astros go on offense and relentlessly trash the Dodgers as pitching cheaters every chance they get.

12. Buck Turgidson

There's no defense.

Why is this weird?

13. Major

Major Member

This is a weird expectation. Do we think everyone is supposed to proactively claim innocence about things?

And yet, people repeatedly point to these other allegations to act as though the Astros were treated unjustly by MLB. See the post above yours.

I wonder if these people also think Bagwell should be treated as a steroids user under the same standard.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The obvious solution is that MLB should take every team’s first and second pick in the next draft.

RayRay10, Astrodome, Nook and 3 others like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astros got caught because they had a former player they upset, they were investigated, cooperated with the investigation, and generally were stupid.

The one hard evidence only works with a system of due process. If others were cheating at the same time, punishing the Astros disproportionately would not be due process even if the Astros were the only ones caught besides the Red Sox. Relying on the media as an enforcement mechanism to spur investigations is not due process.

If MLB is really taking balls from every pitcher, and testing them for chemicals and having someone actually document balls condition on receipt (i.e., was there visual/tactile evidence of a substance on a ball), that would be due process, and demonstrates a completely different standard that was applied to the Astros.

I am very skeptical of MLB's enforcement to prevent cheating as it took years/decades to enforce PEDs. The only things that makes me think MLB may actually do a fair assessment of sticky substances are:
    1) They don't want another Astros situation when one team gets singled out on what may or may not be a league-wide problem,
    2) People are collecting baseballs to test how the baseball is changing. If sticky substances are detectable on foul balls, it is only a matter of time before the people collecting foul balls start testing them for sticky substances.

RayRay10, AznH-TownFan, Nook and 4 others like this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll say it again. This stuff has been going on in baseball since the beginning of time. All teams do whatever they can to get an edge...It's about getting caught...or ratted out. Agenda laden usually...personal grudges aside...The bigger picture is what this was about...We are a Yankees type threat, and not wanted.
    The hypocrisy involved has been par for the course forever. The owners and their figurehead commissioner ....

18. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Do you not think the Astros were pioneers in sticky recipes? I guarantee Luhnow had a team of chefs brewing up advanced recipes.

19. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

It is odd because there were many allegations of the Dodgers, Red Sox, and Yankees cheating in the same period. You're right that if you weren't accused you wouldn't say anything. But if there are allegations, you proclaim innocence. Instead what happened is they stayed quiet and MLB made sure that nothing went further in the media.

RayRay10, Houstunna, King1 and 2 others like this.
  20. msn

msn Member

I can't see sticky stuff being a big scandal--freaking everybody does it. Part of me would enjoy seeing the Dodgers vilified for something everybody does, just so those losers can taste what it was like for us, who were also vilified for something everybody does. And, just so another team's ring can have morons affixing virtual asterisks to it. But, sour grapes aside, the whole sticky-stuff thing doesn't strike me as very scandalous. Pitchers cheat; they always have; they always will.

RayRay10, Handles and raining threes like this.