1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 of 3 first round picks will be #23 & #24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, May 25, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

He id exploring both the transfer option AND applying to NBA draft without hiring agent.

Options baby.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like Bassey. I'm gonna post a couple of videos and comment on what I saw. In this one below I noticed how Bassey never hesitates to make his move immediately, like Hakeem immediacy when he touches the ball near the basket. He makes his move and figures out the details on what he's gonna do on his way to the rim. I ****ing love that about him. Get it and be ready to go. People love that about Kispert (how he's starting his three point shot before he receives it), but this guy does it too and I wouldn't sleep on that. He'll surprise NBA players with how quick he goes. Doesn't matter if he's cutting, diving to the rim or back to the basket... the move happens quickly. He also shoots okay, but it's a slow delivery. To me this is no harm for a guy mostly expected to do his work around the basket. Last thing from this vid... he runs the court hard like Capelllllla.

(I love single game highlights because anyone can look good over a full year. This is against Alabama who won the SEC tourney)

Bassey knows how to seal his man off and he never stops fighting for position whether it be on offense or defense. His ability to track the ball on defense for blocks is fantastic too. Especially from the weak side. I've never seen someone move quite like young Hakeem and this guy does it. He just roams into position. Super active. He doesn't appear to have dreamshake ability or anything, but he fights like Hakeem and makes decisive movement like Hakeem. Very little hesitation in his game from what I've seen. The guy actually forces people to change their shot or he's gonna block it. Fun to watch. I'd take him even if we take Mobley and he's available with the 23rd pick. His rebounding is pretty nice both weak side and with his man on his hip because he works so hard.

Bassey is strong. He can catch the alley oop and finish no problem. Also, he's 20 so he hasn't filled out. Shaq came out as a 20 year old. At 22 years of age he filled out and became a threat at a completely different level. Bassey has this trajectory in body type plus he moves quickly. I'd like to see better finesse from the guy, but I'm just not sure he needs it. Things he needs: learn when to pass out of a possession, shot mechanics for consistency, and maybe more experience? I would definitely spend a pick on him though with no regrets. He has this one move in the post for this next video (at about 1:55) where he looks like Dominique Wilkins.

I hope everyone focuses on his injury history because I want him in Houston. He lost his mom recently and I imagine Jae'Sean would be a good teammate to him.

#202 don grahamleone, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

3 FRPs from 0 the last 5 years...tbh thats not bad work by the GM considering we lost like 7 picks trading for and trading away CP3.

4. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Garza’s feet is about the same as Marc Gasol who had a nice career.

watch the videos at the bottom of the link.
    http://www.tankathon.com/players/luka-garza

saleem and don grahamleone like this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Nice find @COMPAQ CENTER ! I think Garza has some Kevin McHale style game in him with all those weird angle shot making displays. He puts the ball on the floor safely in traffic too. Weird skill to have, but useful. That long ball ability seems pretty big too for his potential. Nice passing, vision, he might have pretty strong hands based on the first vid, etc. I'm wondering what his defense looks like? The vid seems to show he's a opportunistic defender rather than a guy that makes defense happen. Definitely active hands though. I bet Bullard would love him. Isn't Bull an Iowa product? Here's those videos you were talking about:

I'm not seeing his name on mock drafts. Is he late 2nd round material for you? Maybe we can buy our way into the late 2nd round?

6. Asian Sensation

I’m extremely high on Juzang. Shooters are a premium in this league. Scorers are a premium as well. This guy is both. He’s taller but his game TOTALLY reminds me of Lou Williams and I’ll get flamed for this one but I see a tiny hint of young Kobe sprinkled in somewhere as well in terms of the way he moves and the finesse. He can get to and score from anywhere on the court, has natural instincts, leadership qualities and obviously rises to the occasion when it matters most.

Best case scenario is he’s a starter with star potential. Worst case scenario he’s instant offense off the bench and 6th man OTY type. Either way he makes an excellent KPJ insurance policy. The guy is a winner.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Nice avatar! Count me in

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Addendum: That might give him the edge at 24. I wouldn't mind that, if he has no problems with his physical fitness. He is mentally strong. @ApacheWarrior

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You have to have one or two D.

Every true contender does. Washington was going down until they inserted
    Garrett into the starting lineup this last game. You have to fight a true big
    against a true big for a good chunk of minutes or the Embiids of the game
    walk through your team.

Watched Skip and Sharpe discuss this yesterday with no AD can LeBron
    carry the Lakers? Sharpe made a comment, you can't just play Harrell; you
    have to continue playing Gasol and or Drummond, because if you don't,
    Ayton will go for 30 points and 20 rebounds or 20 points and 30 rebounds.
    The guy is 7'0 foot tall and weighs 265 pounds.
    [ I haven't looked up his weight, Sharpe said that].

Sharpe is right, you have to have some resemblance of a space eater
    near the rim. Otherwise you are just trading punches, with the other
    team controlling the boards and moving people out of their way.

The guys you want are good, but a simple swim move over the top
    puts Jokic, Embiid, Brook Lopez, KAT, Gobert, Vuc, Ayton, Myles Turner
    Capela, Valanciunas, BamBam, Enis Kanter (even......guy had career
    numbers in the season vs the Rockets).

Bassey is similar to Garrett in Washington. About the same height, weight, role.
    Not too big for today's NBA and not too small for today's NBA. If every team
    goes skinny, a guy like Kofi Cockburn could make a killing. Teams could drop
    two or three defenders to take away the fast break and force more of a half court
    game. Cockburn would destroy the too skinny center......you would have to
    send reinforcements in the form of perimeter defenders to corral the big guy.
    That where teams are getting burned today. It's the 3-point shooters being left
    open, just enough. In today's NBA, there too many good 3-pt shooters on each
    team.

We need a center that can hold his own more times than not on the defensive end.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exactly what I have seen. I loves how he seals the opponent.
    Feels the opponent on his back side and can quick turn to the opposite
    side the opponent is leaning. Can put up a layup with either hand.

Runs the court like a gazelle. Often you hear the commentators saying Bassey
    is beating everyone down the court in the fast break. With his height and size
    can get successful rim runs. This allows for some easier points. I always wanted
    Dwight Howard to rim run more often. Lucas put that into the mindset of Capela.
    Centers can add 3 or 4 points to their average per game. Going from 13 points
    per game to 17 points per game. Can be the difference in a 3 point win or
    3 point loss.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

NBA Draft.net has us picking him at #24.

#1 Cade Cunningham
    #23 Usman Garuba
    #24 Johnny Juzang

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I feel like his skills translate well to the Silas system.

Rockets want their bigs to be able to shoot 3's to draw the big man
    opposing center out. Allow for some cutting action or back door passes
    in the soft underbelly of the defense.

If Bassey doesn't improve his passing from above the Break 3, then the Rockets
    just improvise with some hand offs in that range with someone who can pass better.
    Still taking advantage of his ability to shoot 3's. Slightly better 3-pt shooter than
    Evan Mobley and isn't that the lure of Evan Mobley; having small forward skills?

Where people think Evan Mobley will improve his 3-pt shooting; I think Bassey will
    as well. All about us luring the opposing center out to the perimeter. If they put
    a smaller guy on him, Bassey can post up that smaller player..

saleem likes this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Kobe who? Seriously? C'mon man.

saleem likes this.
  14. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

In most drafts that I have seen, Garza is slotted in the mid to late second round. So yes we may have to buy a second round. He might go undrafted though.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

By the way, Garza stats per 36 minutes:

28 points, 10 reb, 2 blk, 2 ast on 44% shooting beyond the 3 pt arc. He is a great offensive player but not much of a defender though.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

17. Asian Sensation

Oh man that’d be a dream scenario. I’d be one happy camper if those the 3 we ended up with!

18. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Scouting reports on 3 bigs, which Rockets may be able to use.

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Very good video on Petrusev.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Huff looks like the perfect compliment to Wood imo.
    Strong shot blocker, good spacing on offense and can run any pick and roll/pop scenario. Long and good athlete without needing the ball

fattz, Corrosion and COMPAQ CENTER like this.