1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone getting in line for Tesla Model 3?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Mar 18, 2016.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

American vehicles are not crap and our country has reestablished its car position very well.

Why do you think American vehicles are crap?

2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I come in some need of opinions/thoughts. I see there is some Tesla criticism and some Tesla praise in the last few pages, but I am hoping to look through some of the biases:

Some background / context: I live in Houston, but will be taking a job in Dallas (in enemy territory, I know). It's about 270 miles distance, one way. I plan on driving home most weekends. The office building does have Tesla recharge capabilities, so that's nice.

I was thinking that with so much driving, it would be nice to not have to pay for gas for all the roundtrips to and from Dallas. Over 2-5 years, the savings can really add up. I have to decide is that offsets the premium I'd be paying for a Model 3 or a Model Y.

Question 1: Out of the two models (3 and Y), which one would you recommend? I am leaning the Y, a little more, but for a bigger car, seems worth it

Question 2: At the price point for around $65K, what other comparable options are there?. Remember, a nice luxury car like a Mercedes might sound nice, but the premium gas, plus the maintenance on it, with so much driving, makes it a non-starter. But what other nice, electric (or supremely fuel-efficient) options are there?

Love to get the group's feedback. I'll be traveling, so I won't be replying much soon, but I will be reading everyone's input. Thanks in advance!

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://autoversed.com/5-luxury-electric-vehicles-you-can-buy-for-less-than-100000/

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/g35821587/20-budget-electric-vehicles/

I like the Jaguar I pace for around that price.

The Audi E -tron is also nice not sure if its in that price range.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Interesting.

Ford must be ecstatic.

I wished there was a credit for buying used.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

1. 3 has longer range and is more efficient. Y is larger with higher cargo capacity and is a cuv which is the more popular form factor. If you are single I'd go with the 3, if you have a family with kids, or is active and looking for more storage I'd go with the Y.

2. The model 3 standard range is $40k, model 3 long range is $49k, and model Y long range is $52k. You don't need the performance models and you don't need FSD so not sure where you are getting $65k?

Comparable models are the Mustang Mach e, Audi Etron, Jaguar ipace, and maybe the Hyundai Kona although that's lower level. I suggest you keep an open mind and look up the spec and test drive all of those. A car is a major investment so do your due diligence and don't listen to the extreme biases in here of some people. Especially for your use case, I'd suggest an extended test drive - I know some Tesla dealers offer over the weekend test drives where you can take it home, I would test out the route to Dallas and see for yourself how convenient or not the charging situation is. If they don't offer extended test drives I would rent the cars on Turo to test out the routes before deciding on a big purchase. For teslas it should be a 20 minute stop along the way at a supercharging station, for the rest, good luck. The real comparables if we are looking at sales volume to the Teslas are the bmw 3 series, Mercedes c class, Audi A series for Tesla model 3 and the bmw x series, Mercedes glc, and Audi q series for the Tesla model Y. Theres a reason why none of the other electric "competition" sell any material volume.

Nippystix and Space Ghost like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

This bill is not going to pass. Union pandering is unprecedented in the tax code and would be unconstitutional. Not to mention, Ford builds their cars in a non union plant in Mexico so this would only benefit GM.

Disregarding that point, it does seem that at some point this year a $10k tax credit or rebate will get through(without the union part), which would be pretty crazy since Tesla has already raised prices on their vehicles 5 times this year due to demand greater than supply. Austin factory couldn't come online fast enough.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Has there been discussions about HW upgrades in coming years for Tesla and how does it compare to the competition's ability to scale older vehicles?

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow I was gonna give you major pops for admitting other ev's even exist but then you call out other people for their bias.

And then your entire last paragraph is showing bias.

Yes there is a reason none of the other individual car companies sell the material volume Tesla does but not the reason you are claiming and as a whole they sell more that Tesla.

You just could not help yourself.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Tesla is constantly upgrading hardware, they do not go through 4 or 7 year refresh cycles, they just add on whatever new thing they have whenever it is available, so recently all new Model 3s got a new heat pump system which adds 30 miles of range, which was available to the Model Y only before. I'm sure they will keep adding little things like that over time as they come up.

The biggest HW upgrades I know of down the line is eventually they will equip all their cars with the new 4680 cell battery that they are making themselves starting next year. It will be limited in production and only go into the new model S, X and cybertruck initially, which is how they are getting these 500 mile specs for 2022-23 offerings. Then the Y coming out of Austin and Berlin, and eventually the Y from Fremont and model 3s presumably will all switch over. The biggest difference consumers will be able to tell from that change will be on the sticker price, as it would lower battery costs by -50%.

They are also working on newer versions of the autopilot system, the newer chips should still be a few years away, although on the software side they are recently moving everything onto the vision stack and going away from radar which will no longer be equipped on new teslas.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Of course they exist, they are just not very good. Like I said, the guy should go test drive the cars himself, on extended trips to replicate his use case if possible(then he will find out why all the people are complaining on forums about the Ipace overstating their battery range), and then he can decide for himself. Don't decide based on opinions formed by regurgitating FUD short seller articles on seeking alpha.

12. Space Ghost

A year or so ago they went from HW2.5 to HW3.0. They offered anyone free upgrade if the purchased FSD.

There are some upgrades that are completely impractical for older vehicles, such as the new heat pump and and 4680, however it would seem certain electronics would be very practical to upgrade down the road, such as CPU's and antennas.

BEV's are not going to churn like ICE vehicles. Safety features and million mile batteries will keep these vehicles on the road much longer and will need key component upgrades to keep up with evolving tech.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Oh I see, you meant retrofit upgrades. I thought you were talking about upgrading their tech overall. Yeah 4680 is a completely different form factor which structural battery pack built into the body of the car, definitely not retrofittable.

I'm not sure how much HW can be retrofitted vs traditional competition, but as you probably know, the biggest differentiator here is on the software side where they can constantly update your software capabilities over the air, where you could have a 5 year old car but brand new functionality that just came out with new cars. Legacy competition is woefully behind on over the air updates, due to their lack of expertise on the software side and also due to the dealer network tying their hands. The dealers make the vast majority of their profits through service, which would be hampered if new capabilities or hotfixes were all done through an over the air update in your own garage at home. So they hamper the OEM's ability to advance OTA capability just so consumers are still forced to take their cars in for service on even an UI update. Tesla of course does not have any dealers and sell their cars direct.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How do you know they are not very good?

What are you basing it on?

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Electric cars are getting very good. Every major manufacturer is releasing or has released a Model Y competitor. The Mach E is good. The ID4 seems good etc and there are many that are due to release soon.

it’s not true that other Evs aren’t good.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Testing it? It’s a model Y knockoff with worse specs at higher price. The interior, especially infotainment center is light years behind. “Ford pilot” is no where close to autopilot. But the worst part is the charging, you are relying on third party charging stations (which are also available to Tesla) that charge for 1hr 30min what a Tesla at a supercharger would only take 30 minutes, which is a non starter for most people that actually end up trying it. This is why I tell the guy go test drive these cars for himself, it’s going to be $40-50k investment, take the Mach e to Dallas and back and see how you like it. Chuckle.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

You are right, it is wrong to call these cars bad. But at higher price, lower specs, without a comparable national charging network, they are just not very competitive vs Tesla, as can be seen by the sales numbers. But these manufacturers are on the right track, the Mach e was Ford’s first go at it, assuming they stay solvent for the next 10 years I’m sure they will improve on it and eventually it may become competitive.

Space Ghost likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So it's all based on your bias.

The infotainment is just a tablet and the reason most people think Teslas interiors are too stark.

You keep saying all this stuff yet other companies EV's keep having record sales.

I have no idea why you sighting specs as if that's is top 5 on the majority of peoples list.

And none of this addresses . the question of why these other EV's are bad like you say, yeah maybe they do not stack up to Tesla's "specs" but that does not make them bad.

would really like to have an actual discussion on the merits but its hard when you dismiss every other EV as bad and that Tesla can do no wrong.

Why don't we start with something objective.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-audi-q4-e-tron-sportback-first-look-review/

https://www.electriccarfaq.com/reviews/tesla-model-y-vs-audi-e-tron/

19. Space Ghost

He correct himself and stated 'bad' was not the appropriate word to use.

Tesla's have been on the road for a decade. They haven't been perfect, however most of the complaints are superficial. In a Tesla, I feel very confident that I am very safe in the vehicle, provided I operate it properly. Im not going to buy a 75k vehicle that hasn't been on the road very long. I considered purchasing a Model 3 a couple years ago but even then I was hesitant.

I rented a Tesla for a weekend. The one thing I absolutely loved was the simplicity. Everything was intuitive. A couple levers, a couple dials and a touch screen. No clunky entertainment center. I wasnt overwhelmed with buttons, knobs, switches and levers. Personally I love simplicity and efficiency.

Boomers and Gen X love their vehicles status symbols. Tesla may not penetrate these demographics but the simplicity will appeal to Gen Z. Apple did well because they developed a solid simple all in one device. Tesla is fully banking on FSD and the dwindling status of vehicle ownership.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does it matter if Tesla has been on the road for a decade?

Toyota has had EV's just as long and they were overtaken by Tesla, GM has been producing the Bolt for awhile now and the Leaf is about 5 years old.

No car company is gonna roll out vehicles that have not been thoroughly tested so I don't understand that argument.

I am not saying this is the end of Tesla my point is that they have largely been alone in the EV market and now that other companies are all in they will not be so dominant.

Just like Apple who had a dominant share of the market once other people started playing their market share shrunk.

That's all I am saying yet the Tesla fanboy feel some kind of way when I say that.

Most people like switches and buttons that's why most Car companies have started adding them to the touch screens and people like variety.

The fact that Tesla does not have subcompacts and compacts is gonna be a huge entry point for competitors.