1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Nov 3, 2020.

1. ballgame

ballgame Member

Hearing that Collin Sexton is on the market, if you're the Rockets, should they make an attempt?

If so, what would you trade to get him?

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only if Cavs willing to take back John Wall.

Have the Cavs even picked up his option yet?

#4242 D-rock, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
  3. ballgame

ballgame Member

I don't think they offered, however he's a RFA in 2022. He's not a PG, more of a SG at 6'1 but he can score and with KPJ in the back court at 6'5, I think it would be a good paring.

Not sure why it didn't work in Cleveland, maybe not enough time together

#4243 ballgame, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
  4. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

This is the exact trade partner/scenario I had in mind for the rockets this year actually. GSW wanting to win now to maximize Curry has chances to maximize their roster this offseason with players ready to compete by parlaying their draft capital. My dream scenario is giving them a capable 6th man/defender in Gordon who complements their death squad. A serviceable big who can be a nightmare PnR/pnpop/DHO threat with draymond and Curry in Woods and then even a competent bench wing that they are lacking in House. The trade I had in mind would be

wood/ego/house
    Wiseman/Minny FRP/GSW FRP/SNT Oubre on 2+1 deal.

the deal leaves GSW with

Wood/looney
    Draymond/JTA
    Wiggins/House
    Okay/Gordon
    Curry/Poole/Mannion

They round out their bench with guys locked into their salary for a couple years. This doesn’t trigger any hard caps and GSW still has their TPMLE and picks to add to the roster. They lose out on guys like Oubre and Wiseman who did not fit the scheme in GSW this year and actually hindered them a bit. We are left with

wiseman
    Oubre
    Tate
    KPJ
    Wall/Augustin

but more importantly the draft capital coming in and flexibility. We now have our pick/Minny pick//gsw pick/Portland pick/mke pick. I’m really bullish on this draft and I honestly would look to add three-4 guys from this draft. In an ideal world we add a Cade/Moody/Ziaire/Sengun/Butler. And add them to our nucleus of Wiseman, KPJ, KMJ, and Tate.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would pass, Rockets problem is not offense.

Rockets need to add more length and improve their defense.

sirjesse, ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas plays a 5 Out offense.

Traditional center will be a hindrance in that system.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He better get some rim protection and defense or Silas is going to have to pull five toes out of his ass again ALL next year after he gets it kicked all year. The team is too small on the wing and they have no rim protection or an elite creator.

fattz, D-rock, Rudyc281 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Wiseman can shoot from 3

I don’t want to make the trade. I like wood and he loves it here, but if we got the minny pick, too (which they wouldn’t do). I’d have to pull the trigger

saleem likes this.
  9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I would scrap everything the rockets got going right now, even the coach. Wood is next coming of Al Harrington in a scorers league. I just think you keep Porter and start Cade. But i really think its time for New Coach and few big men. Kelly Olnyk is a bench center, you dont overpay for him either. Look at some of the playoff teams, Houton thinks it can win with Wood lol, Look at the record.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

11. sydmill

sydmill Member

Trades
    https://tradenba.com/trades/fNOfGXket

Rockets turn Augustin, Bradley and House into Kris Dunn and draft capital.

Augustin to NOP for picks 35 and 53. Augustin is a New Orleans native and allows them to trade Bledsoe (back to LAC?) as DJ provides some veteran depth behind Kira Lewis.

Bradley to NYK for pick 58. This is essentially a salary dump but Thibs would value Bradley's defensive value.

House to ATL for Kris Dunn and pick 48. Given his injury history I expect Dunn to play the role Dante Exum did this season as injured point guard bust.

Free Agency
    Each of these above moves saves the Rockets about $12M which would be used to bring back Olynyk on a 2 year deal with a team option for a third year (which would coincide with Wall/Wood/Gordon/Porter/Tate expiring in the summer of 2023).

Draft
    1.1: Cade Cunningham: Grant Hill with less athleticism but a better jump shot
    1.22: Charles Bassey: Clint Capela with range. 6'11''/235 with a 7'3'' wingspan who shot 30% from 3.
    1.24: Greg Brown: Freak athlete who has shown some semblance of a perimeter game. Shawn Marion potential but that is major projection right now.
    2.35: Day'Ron Sharpe: Old school center. Mostly valued for his rebounding and ability to match up with the Jokics and Embids of the world.
    2.48: Joe Wieskamp: 6'6'' wing with a 7' wingspan. Duncan Robinson with defensive potential?
    2.53: Scottie Lewis: More athletic Matisse Thybulle. If he can add a jumper he is a steal at this point.
    2.58: Herbert Jones/Yves Pons: Athletic wing defenders. Always room at the end of the bench for these types.

Roster
    Wall/Porter/Thomas/Cade
    2 Porter/Gordon/Cade/Lewis
    3 Cade/Martin/Tate/Wieskamp/Pons or Jones
    4 Olynyk/Wood/Bassey/Tate
    5 Wood/Olynyk/Bassey/Sharpe

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I would do it because of the minny pick and Wiggins. I think wisemen is going to be a flop. If we got two top 4 picks this year we would probably still be in the lottery next year and think we would be set up to be a sting competitor in 2023. I think there is little to no chance golden state does it though.

BallaDoc likes this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I like your blue print for rebuild. It's much like mine.

I would try to get some second round selections for this year's draft as well.
    Exum
    Augustin
    House
    DJ Wilson (SnT.....has to be solo transaction, non paired with other Rockets in trade)
    Bradley (SnT.....has to be solo transaction, non paired with other Rockets in trade)

Maybe change some of your draft choices.

I would like to target with some of the earlier mentioned players:
    Justinian Jessup from Warriors (foreign contract rights....SG)
    Aron Baynes from Raptors
    Mamadi Diakite from Bucks (PF/C)

Jessup, with Klay coming back.....no room for Jessup.

#4253 ApacheWarrior, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

Like Diakite a lot. Not sure that the Bucks would be willing to part with him for any of the guys youre looking to trade. I think the Bucks are the type of team that might be interested in House/Bradley/Augustin though as the price of role players has inflated and each of them are on what is now a bargain contract.

Dont know enough about Jessup to have an opinion. Looks like he has a solid shot but does he bring anything else to the table? Or is his shot that good that it doesnt matter?

As for the rest, do you think there is actually a market for Exum or Wilson? I am not sure anybody looks at them as anything more than filler at this point. Also, cant Bradley be combined since he would be playing on an exercised option? I'm no CBA guru...

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Exum or DJ Wilson as SnT can allow a contender to go over their cap. Whether they get paid
    $3M or $3 dollars (vet min).. Involve a second round pick.....Bucks may want their 1st back.
    I would take Diakite over Greg Brown at this stage of their respective careers.

16. sydmill

sydmill Member

I have serious doubts about what the Rockets might receive for Wilson or Exum. Mostly Exum. As for Diakite, I would take him over Brown today and probably tomorrow but in 2 years when Brown is 21 and Diakite is 26? I think Brown probably gets my vote then as I think he will put on weight to be able to be a full time power forward.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

One person's trash is another teams treasure.

I've never seen talent in Exum, Michael Carter-Williams or Frank Nitilikina.
    But many do.

A morning talk show on national TV today was joking how Frank Nitilikina only
    played a few seconds, was inserted into the Knicks/Hawks game 1 to help stop
    Trae Young at the end of the game. And Frank completely laid an egg. Did a poor
    job of keeping Trae in front of him. Easily turned the corner and put up the winning
    basket.

Many here on CF's think a lot of Exum and Frank Nitilikina......I don't.

DaBeard likes this.
  18. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I’ve suggested this trade a few times and no one liked it. Glad you’re getting some love for it though @fattz

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I feel like a lot of teams, especially in the West, will be delusional about how good they'll be next year and so it might be possible to pry some future 1sts for players that can help now. I think the 7 best teams in the west now will still be in the playoffs next year. So among Minny, Sac, SAS, Mem, GSW, NOP, only 1 will probably be in the playoffs. And with the smoothened odds, those picks from the 9th-13th seeds might actually be something. Of those Mem, GSW, and NOP are probably the most interested in improving short term. I'd gladly give Bradley, House, Gordon, or Augustin or anything outside of Wood, KPJ, KMJ, and Tate for their 2022 1st.

D-rock likes this.
  20. fattz

fattz Member

I truly think Wiggins is the real deal and needs to find himself and John Lucas is the answer. I also think Lucas is the person that unlocked Harden. Wiggins & Lucas families go way back and there is probably a true bond there. If Wiggins lived up to a 1/3 of his pre draft hype we would have our superstar. I am more concerned about Wiggins mind then his play. When / if he puts it together there will be no stopping him. I also think the combination of Porter / Wiggins would fit together well.

DM'sVP likes this.