1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No doubt about it.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Cade reminds me of Evan Turner. Hopefully I'm wrong.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Wood was (19/20):
    < 6 feet......52.1% (DFG%)
    3-pt............42.1% (3pt-DFG%)

........................(< 6 ft DFG%).........(3pt-DFG%)
    Feb (3 gms):........55.6%.....................41.2% .......[*Cousins last gm 2/17/21 added RS/JPatton]
    **March (7 gms):.56.4%.....................34.9%........[ Patton last gm 3/17/21]
    April (15 gms):.....61.6%.....................43.0%........
    May (2 gms):........71.4%.....................40.0%........

So, I'm saying C Wood is a good help defender. Probably does best with a bigger big next to him.
    Olynyk is a tad weak imo.

Tank mindset also played a factor as well.

*Nwaba last game (02/28/21)
    **Wood played at end of March. Refreshed put up good numbers.

#1343 ApacheWarrior, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    saleem likes this.
  4. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cade is an elite shooter compared to Turner. Plus he performed likes this as a 18 year old versus Turner as a 21 year old. Last, he has a 7 foot wingspan versus a 6’8” wingspan in Turner.

xtruroyaltyx, D-rock and Caesar like this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

NBAdraft.net compares Suggs to Kidd, but like the Billups comparison, i think Suggs is much more athletic. I've seen the Brandon Roy/Jamall Murray comp that i like too.

D-rock likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He reminds me of Michael Beasley. I don't know how I should feel about it.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It just doesn't make sense for the Rockets to draft Suggs when they have KPJ running the point.

8. DonatelloLimestone

cade is a much much more potent scorer and shooter, that opens up the rest of his game too. I see him as a tyreke evans type of floor, the talent , skill, and nba body is there then the rest on his adaptation and will is upto him. unique talent and fits into many places because of his ability to see the floor, shoot, and the size1-3

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

People who like Suggs should feel the exact same way about Jaden Springer.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

For undrafted agents I would like to get Nick Briz. He's just entertainment.

11. DonatelloLimestone

At the point of being the worst team in the league, you get the absolute best talent and make it work. We saw what happens when we rely on harden as one designated role especially when it matters it just makes it easier to guard, having more offensive options, more playmakers on the floor, especially if both can shoot is a good thing to have options. Furthermore there is staggering minutes for a better 48. you gotta take the best talent at this point we are not good enough for fit and specifically kpj is much more versatile when teams have scouted him next year and can close in on him to be able to switch on and off ball

12. saleem

I think he will prove you wrong. Cade isn't explosive ,but he is a point forward with good size. His feel for the game is even better than Mobley's. His skill level is more well rounded than Evan's.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Wouldn't the same apply to Cade? I like KPj, don't get me wrong, but we shouldn't pass on a player because of KPj. I know he had lottery talent, i know he has loads of potential and he's still young, but there's a reason he dropped in the draft nearly out of the 1st round and there's a reason he was had so cheap with his history of being a problem off the court. I dont know of a single superstar who had a troubled past and turned it around to become a franchise player. Consider our history with someone like Eddie Griffin. Consider also how we as Rockets fans overhype our own players. KPj couldn't get us a top 20 pick in this draft.
    Were looking for a franchise player, we don't know for sure if we already have one and if KPj unravels again because we drafted competition for him, then he was never going to be the future of this franchise.

Cade-point forward/pg-put the ball in his hands
    Green- scoring guard, put the ball in his hands
    Suggs- runs the point, great leader with maturity-put the ball in his hands

If we draft Mobley, i hope it is because the Rockets see him as the next great Rockets big and not because KPj is already on the team and needs the ball to succeed. The Blazers did that in the 84 draft.

ico4498 likes this.
  14. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Stone needs to be looking at these guys based on upside. Where does he think the project by year 3 in the NBA?

Is Cade gonna project out to be a Tatum or Luka
    Will Kuminga project out to be a Siakim
    Will Suggs project out to be JKidd
    Will JGreen project out with all those attributes of Ray Allen, Drexler, Kobe mentality
    Mobley / Bosh comparison

When you at the comparisons and if there is any way to "GUESS" based on scouting, video, and getting a chance to talk with a kid my ranking would be:

Cade (kinda tough, if he projects Luka, no brainer, if he projects Tatum then I'd wouldn't be upset if they went Green)
    Green
    Suggs/Mobley
    Kuminga (doesn't make my top 5)

But again, let me stress, we are looking at the player we draft at the 3 year mark!
    I am ready, send me your HATE posts!

BamBam, D-rock and saleem like this.
  15. saleem

Beasley couldn't play a lick of defense and he was a blackhole from the start. Cade is the opposite of that.

Reeko and D-rock like this.
  16. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like a Jayson Tatum comp for Cade. Similar size. Similar athleticism. Cade is a better playmaker and a better shooter coming out of college. I think his passing is pretty special and can be an elite shooter. That’s an exciting package.

#1356 Da Man, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree.

But also do not want either, especially at top of the draft.

Khyri Thomas offers exact same complementary role as Suggs/Springer.

So does Wall, Avery Bradley, DJ Augustin, Eric Gordon and Armoni Brooks.

How many more sub 6'5 guards do the Rockets need?

18. saleem

Nothing to hate at all . I like your points. It's very difficult for us armchair fans to figure it out. Even coaches and GM's struggle with this. I think Green might have the biggest upside offensively and Cade is the best defender.

jdiggidy likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green is hands down the player with highest scoring potential.

But Mobley's offensive efficiency is much better. And Cade's offensive production is right there with Jalen Green due to his 3P + FT% prowess. While Davion Mitchell ORTG is just a tick below Mobley's but far ahead of both Cade and Suggs.

And you'd be surprised if I showed you that it's NOT Cade who is best defender but in fact Mobley/Suggs who are the best defenders at top of draft.

Suggs, Barnes, Mitchell all averaged over 2 STL a game. Cade and Barnes average just under 1 block a game. Of course Mobley averaged over 3 BLK/game.

Mobley defensive WS is hands down the best amongst lottery players. And his total WS, due to offensive efficiency + defensive dominance, is untouchable.

How shocked would you be if Davion Mitchell not Suggs, not Cade, not Scottie Barnes created more assists and generated fewer turnovers - by a significant margin?

Cade actually turned ball over more than he had assists (3.5 AST vs. 4.1 TOS). And Cade averaged just 1 more assist than center Evan Mobley.

Davion Mitchell also shot the best 3ball, even better than Cade (44% vs. 40%).

Suggs and Cade were better rebounders than 6'9 Scottie Barnes (not by much though).

Point could be made that Davion Mitchell is the best guard in the lottery. But he is just 6'2 and already 22 years old.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/co...am--davion-mitchell--evan-mobley--jalen-suggs

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Cades comparisons I've heard: Luka, G Hill, Tatum

Greens comps: Beal, Ray Allen, Ja Morant, T mac, Jordan(esque), Kobe