1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It ain't no Canyonero....

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yep Teslas got a lot of people coming for them, they are gonna need to up the aesthetics and a new design is gonna be needed quickly.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

All I know is the batteries in lawn equipment are crap and expensive to replace. Therefore, I’m still polluting the environment with a gas mower and weed eater.

Ubiquitin and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'll be first in line when they have an EV of this model:

B-Bob and STR8Thugg like this.
  6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

7. dmoneybangbang

Electric seems inevitable but my next purchase (2023ish) will probably be another Civic.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm putting crazy miles on my car. Will be in the market in the next three years or so. If they can bring a nice electric truck down around 50k, I'm in. Hopefully there will be multiple options. I'd need 300+ on the range and fast charging, too. Like, could fully charge at my house overnight.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You mean the next time there's a disastrous power outage due to gross state negligence us Texans can use our trucks to heat our homes WITHOUT the carbon monoxide poisoning??

This is terrific news

10. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

They say the lightning starts at 39k but what will dealer markup be?

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The $39k is considered the "work truck" from what I read. I'm not sure what's in it. Don't they announce that next week?

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yes, this is what I read as well. I'm assuming what I'd want (mid package) would be around $65, which is probably more than I can convince myself to spend. If they could bring that down to $45-50, then that would be game changing, imo.

13. Supermac34

Or, you know, a hurricane

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  14. Supermac34

one article I read stated they will be virtually the same price as comparable outfitted current F150s, and actually cheaper than the current hybrid model they have

Two Sandwiches and B-Bob like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

This has nothing to do with the electrics...but the ranch F250 I bought in '12 was called the "Contractor Model", basic bare bones, and it still cost 48K (4X4 quad cab long bed).

I've had great luck for 150K with everything except the electronics (1 window motor, 1 dashboard light), and I can't complain about that either.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Easy. It cost double the most expensive Tesla with worse specs and comes with 1/10 of the available high speed charging network.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/evbite.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-vs-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-vs-lucid-air-grand-touring/?amp

The new model S plaid+ coming out next year just blows it out of the water in any conceivable performance metric and still costs much less.

So if you hate money then that Taycan is definitely for you.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Genuinely curious why anyone would consider any ev besides model 3 or Y if you are looking at sedan or cuv, since they are so obviously miles ahead(literally haha). Must be one of those things where people were hating on apple products back in the day to show people that they didn’t need to conform.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

The minerals used in batteries like nickel, cobalt, lithium are retained even after years of use, they don’t just disappear. Batteries will be recycled and those minerals used again. Former Tesla CTO formed his own startup a couple years ago to do just that, called Redwood Materials, a private company for now but perhaps future investment opportunity for those tracking.

19. Buck Turgidson

Do you own a Tesla?