1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese Virologist post report claiming virus made in Wuhan lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Is she lying

1. Yes - Hired by mtv for new show loose women chicks on the run

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. No - she’s really Chinese and she knows secrets

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are buying into some spurious logic - much of what you have in that link is contradictory to what scientists have said (https://www.biospace.com/article/stop-the-conspiracy-theories-novel-coronavirus-has-natural-origin/)

For example in your article it argues that the binding site isn't the best fit, therefore must be natural according to the scientists argument who say it is natural - which is the opposite of what scientists are actually saying - that the binding is so effective, that it could not have been created in a lab, that it must be from natural selection.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

It's weird how people can believe China (the government) is abusing Ethnic Muslims but can't believe they got a virus lab.

They got everything in China, even Disneyworld.

[​IMG]

malakas likes this.
  4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

neither @Sweet Lou 4 2 nor @SamFisher cares about muslims unless israel is involved.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

That means that they HATE HAKEEM, cause HAKEEM IS MUSLIM and HE'S OUR HERO (99ers)
    [​IMG]

basso likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

When did @SamFisher become a big fan of the PRC? Am I missing something?

tinman and Deckard like this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Maybe when Jeremy Lin started playing for the Ducks?

@Os Trigonum

Nook likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If you don't believe the coronavirus was manufactured by the Chinese in their Wuhan lab, you are a major supporter of the PRC.

Nook likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I guess there's a large segment of right wing nutters out there who now think that anybody who doesn't sign on to the project of a crumbling white nationalist ethnostate ruled over by an incontinent, amoral Floridian god-emperor - > therefore has A VERY STRONGLY HELD POSITION on chinese laboratory protocols.

I know, it makes a lot of sense, right? the best way I can explain it is that it's less embarrassing than talking about Jewish Space Lasers and Proud Boys that make up the mainstream of the Fox News Extended Universe

Nook likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

You go girl

11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Sigh. You googled an article from over a year ago that quotes the infamous "The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2" paper. Even one of the authors of that paper, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin, has changed his tune. When discussing Nicholas Wade's article that you say contains "spurious logic", he had this to say - https://donaldgmcneiljr1954.medium....ing-and-love-the-lab-leak-theory-f4f88446b04d

I spoke about Nick’s article last week with Dr. W. Ian Lipkin, the renowned Columbia University virus hunter who was one of the five co-authors on the seminal “proximal origin” paper.

He favored a natural origin theory, he said, in part because he had assumed that all the Wuhan Institute’s 2019 work with SARS-like viruses had been done in its top-level BSL-4 lab, which was cleared to operate in 2017. (State Department cables from 2018 raised questions about how well-run the lab was.)

But later he learned of studies with Dr. Shi’s name on them showing that work he considers dangerous had been done in level BSL-2 labs, which he considers highly porous to leaks, not just in 2016, but in 2020.

“That’s screwed up,” he said. “It shouldn’t have happened. People should not be looking at bat viruses in BSL-2 labs. My view has changed.”
    You should read the Donald McNeil article too. He was the former head science writer at the New York Times and admits how and why the science writing community got things wrong. They did exactly what you are doing. The TL;DR is they trusted their science sources without hesitation and thought it's another right wing conspiracy therefore it must be wrong. This scientific consensus you keep parroting does not exist, and really never existed, but the natural origin guys got their message out first and its hard to turn that ship around.

Astrodome and basso like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

While eye-opening that still doesn't mean it was man made or that there is any evidence of the virus being manmade.

Take this passage:

-------
    Vincent Racaniello, a professor at Columbia and a co-host of a podcast called This Week in Virology, said on February 9 that the idea of an accident in Wuhan was “complete bunk.” The coronavirus was 96 percent similar to a bat virus found in 2013, Racaniello said. “It’s not a man-made virus. It wasn’t released from a lab.”

Racaniello’s dismissal was seconded by a group of scientists from Ohio State, the University of Pennsylvania, and the University of North Carolina, who put out a paper in Emerging Microbes and Infections to quiet the “speculations, rumors, and conspiracy theories that SARS-CoV-2 is of laboratory origin.” There was “currently no credible evidence” that SARS-2 leaked from a lab, these scientists said, using a somewhat different argument from Racaniello’s. “Some people have alleged that the human SARS-CoV-2 was leaked directly from a laboratory in Wuhan where a bat CoV (RaTG13) was recently reported,” they said. But RaTG13 could not be the source because it differed from the human SARS-2 virus by more than a thousand nucleotides. One of the paper’s authors, Susan Weiss, told the Raleigh News & Observer, “The conspiracy theory is ridiculous.”
    --------

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/coronavirus-lab-escape-theory.html

14. tinman

Supporting Member

He likes that one party rule thing they have there
    @Os Trigonum

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Intelligence on Sick Staff at Wuhan Lab Fuels Debate on Covid-19 Origin - WSJ

WASHINGTON—Three researchers from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology became sick enough in November 2019 that they sought hospital care, according to a previously undisclosed U.S. intelligence report that could add weight to growing calls for a fuller probe of whether the Covid-19 virus may have escaped from the laboratory.

The details of the reporting go beyond a State Department fact sheet, issued during the final days of the Trump administration, which said that several researchers at the lab, a center for the study of coronaviruses and other pathogens, became sick in autumn 2019 “with symptoms consistent with both Covid-19 and common seasonal illness.”

@Sweet Lou 4 2 @SamFisher

malakas likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I have said it from the beginning (based on intel I got) and I still believe it's the most probable scenario that it came out of that lab.

Also, one thing that doesn't nearly get talked about enough is the fact that China locked all its own people up very quickly to prevent spread of the disease domestically, but continued to fly planes out to the whole world.

If they knew it would be best to contain the virus even with such drastic measures as not letting people leave their houses, to protect their own population, why did they keep flying planes out to the world and clearly not give a damn about the rest of the world's population?

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

While I do not discount the high likelihood that it did leak out of the Wuhan lab, I still am not convinced and see no evidence that there was a conspiracy here like many on the right jump at the chance to believe. I just see no benefit to China's interest to release a global pandemic. Now if they had the one vaccine on the market right away then sure I could see it as a test case to hold the rest of the world hostage, but I don't see that in any way.

I also could see with another 4 years of Donald Trump that he could on a whim gut the CDC, create a hostile work environment in Atlanta, workers get careless, and next thing you know the next global pandemic starts out of Atlanta. So I think there is a larger more pressing need to shore up these research labs around the world.

Having these research sites comes with great risk. The only takeaway for me (if it did leak from Wuhan) is that much more strict global standards in vaccine research much be mandated. If it becomes clear it was an accidental leak, China owes it to the rest of the world to crack down on the global standard for research safety. Or else all of our allies need to come together to force them to pay out damages via some form of international treaty.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Certainly it is possible that the virus originated from the lab (which does not mean it was man made). But the second part of what you are saying makes less sense. If you allow planes to fly out from your airports, then you have to allow planes to fly in - otherwise you'd very very quickly end up with an empty airport with no planes. If China was trying to contain the virus, they wouldn't export the virus and then re-import it, that makes no sense. There are so many basic logical flaws with many of these conspiracy theories. Just saying.

#218 Sweet Lou 4 2, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
  19. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I've seen that repeated over and over for the last year, but it's just not true unless you count allowing other countries to evacuate their citizens out of Wuhan as 'fly planes out ot the whole world'. Do you think Trump would've accepted it if China had not allowed US citizens to leave by state department chartered flights?

When China stopped domestic traveling out of Wuhan on Jan 23rd, all commercial flights were stopped around mid day Jan 23rd. https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/trumps-flawed-china-travel-conspiracy/

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Fauci?
    ET TU BRUTE?

J.R. likes this.