1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The march toward the $2000 smartphone isn't sustainable

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I just use my phone to watch the pr0n while taking a dump @Jontro

(and at least a 1/3 of guys in general)

STR8Thugg and Jontro like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Bought a 256gb 2020 iPad pro on eBay for 650. I'm not great on Call of Duty mobile but it's faster than any phone out there and let's me smoke little kids with their hand me downs.

Don't play next gen games on my xr because I don't need my eyes to become fuzzier from oldmanitus.

Anyways phones and tech is like cars these days. If you know what to look for or do a little research, you can buy used 6-12 months for half or a third of the price. It's all about recognizing legit sellers, product in good or excellent condition (scratches, dings, etc) and waiting a few months between shifts in demand

Deckard, jiggyfly and Jontro like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I love my Pixel 2XL. Hoping it lasts another few years. Does great for everything I needed for. The camera is still top notch.

ico4498 likes this.
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Just upgraded from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to a used Note 10+ for around $550 when my last phone crapped out on me. These $1000+ phone prices are for the birds.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Until the phone can connect to a keyboard mouse and display .. . . I ain't interested in 1000 Plus
    I mean the MACs I am looking at are in the 1000 - 1400$ range

Rocket River

6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Mainly upgrade due to battery getting weak every 2-3 years.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

ThatBoyNick and STR8Thugg like this.
  8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It’s well beyond CandyCrush. I have a 8, 10, 12, and 13 year old at home. The PS4 and Switch gather dust. The TV as well. The two youngest use an IPad and an old IPhone and the two eldest use gaming laptops and their phones. The phones have infinite more utility because of the cellular data and mobility over the laptops which require space and WiFi. At home the eldest run the laptops and phones simultaneously. At school or out and about it’s the phones.

They don’t have the latest and most expensive models as we aren’t willing to shell out that kind of money. It will be interesting to see when they have their own income what they choose to do. But the value and use of a phone to this generation is well beyond what TV or Nintendo was to mine.

#28 Phillyrocket, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
    jiggyfly likes this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

Don't look now, but phones are driving cars too. And they are tracking and training you on what to say to your loved ones. You literally won't even need to communicate in 20 years as your phone will do it for you. Your phone will literally get together with other phones and report back how the day went. Ultimately, that will allow u to do whatever you want whenever u want. And that is glory. Freedom.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

can't wait till my phone can fap me

STR8Thugg likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

When I said Candy Crush was talking about the majority of phone users.

It's interesting that that you say they don't have the latest or most expensive models yet they still play games which is what my question was about, what type of phones do they have?

Andit seems that still most hardcore gamers will always choose to play on a system or pc.

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

They have IPhones but like 8s I think. I use Straightalk and buy IPhones from them. I’m considering an IPhone XR for $350 right now to upgrade from my 2 year old 6S that has been dropped several times.

They play stuff like Roblox, Castle Clash, they were playing Fortnite on the phones until the Apple dispute. Fortnite lost millions of players due to not being on IOS. Those kids like mine don’t start playing it on PS4 instead they just find different games on their phones.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Sajan

Sajan Member

Same!
    X was the most I have spent on a phone and I am gonna try to keep it another year. But if they announce a significant upgrade, I might get a new one this year.

This is my update history:
    2009 - iPhone 3GS
    2010 - iPhone 4
    2012 Nov - iPhone 5
    2014 Nov - iPhone 6 Plus ($749) (+screen replacement)
    2018 Feb - iPhone X ($999)

Look at the price increases:
    • iPhone (4GB): $499
    • iPhone 3G (8GB): $599
    • iPhone 3GS (16GB): $599
    • iPhone 4 (16GB): $599
    • iPhone 4S (16GB): $649
    • iPhone 5 (16GB): $649
    • iPhone 5s (16GB): $649
    • iPhone 6 (16GB): $649
    • iPhone 6 Plus (16GB): $749
    • iPhone 6s (16GB): $649
    • iPhone 6s Plus (16GB): $749
    • iPhone 7 (32GB): $649
    • iPhone 7 Plus (32GB): $769

• iPhone 8 (64GB): $699
    • iPhone 8 Plus (64GB): $799
    • iPhone X (64GB): $999

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I thought that was already possible with Bluetooth for the mouse & keyboard with a cable from the cellphone to the monitor.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

It's already possible. Some Samsung, Pixel, and other Android smartphones came with a USB type c to USB 3.0 adapter. Is as simple as plug and play. Never tried on an IPhone though.

[​IMG]

Deckard and Mango like this.
  16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

This Google I/O is so boring right now. It sounds like it's leading up to hopefully presenting their own chipset in the pixel 6 with all this new AI tech. I doubt it's going to happen today.

17. Invisible Fan

Iphone chips are usually a cut above qualcomm or samsung chips when it comes to graphics. That's part of the reason resale value lags 18-24 months behind...It's not all hype.

I used to rock Android until I read some articles on Iphone XR's chip that specialized with facial recognition and software hacks with the camera. My guess is that they were building up their chips to replace intel in their macbooks, so people got an upgrade most weren't expecting.

You'll hear that apple's benchmarks are overrated, but I consistently read that their graphics numbers weren't estimated but based on fair estimates in performance. Apple is kind of sneaky sometimes underselling (battery life) or overselling (lcd display quality), so it's better to skip cookie cutter CNET reviews and read some geek teardown like anandtech. This air of uncertainty eggs on their cult to believe that the iphone chips are faster than intel chips, which maybe true in some areas, but the latest computer class Apple chips still a year or two off from being completely true. It's like comparing a web browsing/graphic design thoroughbred to a video gaming/bitcoin mining workhorse. Intel chips were generally used as inefficient swiss army knives. There's still a use for them, but intel isn't dispelling the myth with their slow pivots... It also only applies to Intel's best in class (i7 or i9). i5 or laptop chips are too inferior and battery inefficienct imo.

The kicker is that RAM becomes the bottleneck. I still own a 1st gen ipad air and it's slow af because it works 1GB ram. The XR has 3 gigs while the latest ipad pro is 6. Even if they claim their memory management is just enough and a minimalist work of art...you know they cripple it to force people to upgrade after 4-5 years when devs learn how to take advantage of the stronger cores.

Deckard likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[​IMG]

19. Invisible Fan

iphone is not all overpriced hype. Their chips are legit by being a year or two ahead of android. Just don't believe all the specs they sell you.

Do ur own research.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro Max from a X over Christmas because AT&T is giving me $700 to trade-in the X on a $1200 phone. I basically pay around $16 a month for the phone. I also traded in a iPhone 8 plus for 128GB iPhone 12 128GB for one of the kids. $879 for that phone and got a $700 credit on the trade-in. Basically paying $5 a month on that AT&T next plan for that upgrade.

If Carriers are willing to offer those trade-in deals like that...I will keep upgrading.

jiggyfly likes this.