1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

Any guys y'all want to target? Click may have a more conservative approach when it comes to trading prospects, but bullpen (as always) and CF look like they need an upgrade.

One guy I think could be had without giving up anything significant is Mychel Givens. Has a decent track record and playing for a losing club (Rockies). Maybe getting out of Colorado puts him back on track.

edwardc and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Bullpen or CF

Bullpen is more likely to sort itself out with health,but could also be a bigger liability if it doesn't.

A clear upgrade in Cf would be a nice luxury, but not a necessity. If click moves any significant prospects it will be for a multi year acquisition.

Astrofan59 and No Worries like this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Adding to the bullpen would be my vote... and also consistent with midseason trades the team has historically made.

4. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Step 1 is bolster the pen internally. If that doesn't work Step 2 is trading deadline.

Anybody's guess is as good as mine what their thinking is on CF.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wouldn’t ignore possible front line starters (if one happens to become available), which would increase the pen options.

We all know what works in the playoffs.... dominant starters and possibly having starters eat up multiple relief innings. They’re going back to the travel days/off days this year.

The Astros have some pretty great candidates for guys who can be lights out in a multi-inning relief role (Javier, Urquiddy), but not if they’re also your #2 and #3 starters. Greinke probably won’t pitch 7 innings in a playoff game. LMJ is trending in the right direction, but still can be prone to high pitch counts and road woes.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros biggest need is in CF. With all the injured pitchers, it seems like there will be plenty of reinforcements coming shortly, and they will have a crowded bullpen even without making trades. They have 8 pitchers on the IL right now not counting Verlander, Solis, and Whitley. It may make sense to try to consolidate 2-3 of the young pen arms into an elite RP, but I wouldn't expect that. Houston also doesn't have the prospects or money (and debatably, the need) to make a move in the rotation. So the obvious place to improve the roster is in CF.

Certain Sellers: Orioles, Royals, Tigers, Mariners, Rangers, Marlins, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Rockies
    Likely Sellers: Twins, Nationals, Cubs, Reds
    Possible Sellers: Angels, Indians, Rays

Not available: Cedric Mullins, Adolis Garcia, Austin Hays, Kyle Lewis, Akil Baddoo, Mike Trout

Star CF Targets: Byron Buxton, Whit Merrifield, Starling Marte, Bryan Reynolds, Ketel Marte

Solid CF Targets: Andrew Benintendi, Robbie Grossman, Joey Gallo, Adam Frazier, Josh Rojas, Jake Marisnick, Nico Hoerner, Ian Happ, Tyler Naquin, Victor Robles, Jordan Luplow, Kevin Kiermeier, Manuel Margot, Jesse Winker

Fringe CF Targets: Michael Taylor, Nico Goodrum, Jake Fraley, Yonathan Daza, Garrett Hampson, Joc Pederson, Nick Senzel, Jon Jay

One player I would want Houston to go after who doesn't necessarily fit is Jose Ramirez. I would be willing to try Bregman in CF to add Ramirez into the lineup for 2.5 seasons.

My top 5 targets based on expected price/value would be Starling Marte, Adam Frazier, Manuel Margot, Jake Marisnick, and Andrew Benintendi.

Good SP available would be Means, Beiber, Boyd, Gibson, MadBum, and Gray. But I don't expect Houston to go after any of those guys.

Possible RP targets: Richard Rodriguez, Kendall Graveman, Scott Barlow, Cesar Valdez, Ian Kennedy, and Raisel Iglesias. I could see Houston packaging 2-3 guys like Abreu and Scrubb to add a guy who can help in the 8th, but I wouldn't count on it.

#6 Snake Diggit, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    awc713 and raining threes like this.
  7. raining threes

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Couple of hypothetical trades:

Astros get:
    IF/OF Adam Frazier

Pirates get:
    RHP Tyler Ivey
    RHP Jojanse Torres

Astros get:
    RP Scott Barlow

Royals get:
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    RHP Angel Macuare

That Ivey/Torres package could probably be a hypothetical return for any number of CF targets: Nick Senzel, Andrew Benintendi, or Manuel Margot. I would imagine a guy like Marisnick could be had for just one of those prospects. Starling Marte may cost a bit more depending on how Miami values the potential QO pick.

9. Buck Turgidson

I know he's having a good year at the plate, but I'm not sure about yall's fascination with Adam Frazier, who has never played much CF (over half of his time there was in AA in '15) and hasn't exactly been good (metrically) there when he did.

No Worries, Nook and The Beard like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He is just a league average bat who would fit in great in the 8 hole who can adequately handle CF and is a realistic target given Houston's lack of prospects and money. I also like him because he has an add'l year of control, has positional versatility, and since he's been on a crummy team, there's a chance he could hit more on a good team with such a deep lineup. I don't think anyone would expect him to be a star, but to get a guy who can put up 2 fwar/yr and who won't cost any top prospects is pretty much the best we can hope for at the deadline this year.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros likely need to trade away guys to free up money and 26-man/40-man roster spots. Smith is dead weight.

Astros bullpen should be okay, not great, once the Astros get healthier, move a starter or 2 to the pen, and get rid of Smith.

As far as CFs go, I would try to get Buxton. I'm not sure what it would take. It is a high risk move, but it would lead opposing GMs to curse. Offense would be a lot better. Pressly would be very happy with Straw-Buxton-Tucker behind him.

Buck Turgidson and Nick like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Buxton would indeed cause the rest of the league to fly into apoplectic rage. Think of the replacement furniture/computer bills.

The thought makes me smile.

edwardc, Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

What in his career leads you to believe this?

Hell, if all we want is adequate, move Tucker over and start looking at RFers

No Worries, jiggyfly and Nick like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not any deep dive analysis. He’s played there, both in the minors and in the majors. At first glance I don’t see anything in his 63.2 inning sample that would indicate he couldn’t handle CF. Again, I wouldn’t expect him to be a star, or even a good defensive CF, just adequate.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

delete extra post

#15 Marshall Bryant, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

You have a problem with Brantly?

I was with you with Brantly-Buxton-Tucker The Killer ABC's. Altuve, Alvarez, Bregman, Brantly, Buxton, Correa and sometimes Castro. Gurriel and Tucker could get new nicknames.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With a lead in the 9th with Pressly pitching, yes, I would prefer Straw replacing Brantley in the OF. Brantley has 8 innings to get his hits and homers in to get the lead (9 if Astros are the away team).

18. Buck Turgidson

In 2021 so far, the Pirates have used 5 guys in CF, in '20, 8 guys, in '19, 6 guys. He is not one of those guys. In '18 he was 4th of 5 guys with 44 innings in CF (and he was terrible), in '17 he was 4th of 6 with 16. This is not a glowing endorsement. Maybe the Pirates know something? I mean, they are the Pirates, but still.

If Diaz gets hurt (fingers totally crossed here) he'd be a hell of a replacement. Robles is useless and I'd rather see another arm in the pen. I just think as things stand (since we're talking about replacing Straw) there are other, better, options.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

So the old defensive replacement like Jake Marisnick.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree with you. Ideally Starling Marte is healthy and productive 8 weeks from now and that's the move. The good news is that at first glance I only see one other contender who looks to need help in CF (White Sox), and they may get Robert back in time. So Miami may not have a ton of bidders.

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.