1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

3 US soldiers charged with sending guns to Chicago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 15, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://abc7chicago.com/3-soldiers-charged-with-sending-guns-to-chicago/10616647/

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Three soldiers were charged Tuesday in connection with the transfer of dozens of firearms to associates in Chicago, a federal prosecutor said.

Demarcus Adams, 21; Jarius Brunson, 22; and Brandon Miller, 22, were charged with transferring a firearm to an out-of-state resident, making false statements while purchasing a firearm, money laundering, conspiracy, wire fraud and engaging in the business without a firearms license. They are all stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

The investigation began after multiple people were shot and one died in Chicago on March 26, according to the office of Mary Jane Stewart, acting U.S. attorney for the Middle District of Tennessee.

Five of the firearms recovered at the scene had been purchased from dealers in the Clarksville, Tennessee, area, outside Fort Campbell, according to Stewart's office. Adams, Brunson and Miller were the "majority purchasers" of the guns, prosecutors said.

Investigators allege the three purchased 91 firearms from multiple dealers near Fort Campbell beginning in September 2019. The complaint alleges that after the guns were purchased, Miller would provide them to associates in Chicago.

The prosecutor's office said 49 empty firearms cases were found during a search of Miller's and Adams' home in Clarksville last month, including some matched to firearms found at the scene of shootings in Chicago.

It was not known whether the three were represented by an attorney who could comment on their behalf.

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That’s exactly what Chicago needs more guns

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Systemic racism. It's a conspiracy for the army to have young black males killing each other so only white people will get Army benefits

4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

5. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I posted this article as the reason why illinoise stringent gun laws do not work, i'm kind of amazed no one wants to touch this.

I bet the fact that the gunn runners were black has a bit to do with that.

The real question is how can you buy that many guns in bulk and not get flagged.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why would them being black have something to do with it? I thought it was well known that a lot of the guns in Chicago are being funneled in from out of state.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think it was thought that that most gun funnelling was done by whites and blacks doing it does not get the same kind of outrage.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

In Chicago?

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes in Chicago.

I don't know why Chicago would be a question mark.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

It’s thought that mostly white people are knowingly funneling guns to these gangs and street kids in Chicago? Guns being funneled to Chicago isn’t that noteworthy, nor do I think people are under the assumption that black people doing it is supposed to be some rare occurrence. The only thing that stood out to me is that 91 guns were purchased since September 2019 because that’s a lot, not that these people were black.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The system is set up in such a way with all records decentralized and offline, that the only way that can happen is if the people selling alert the ATF.

In the approval process, ATF gets your vital info and gives a go/no go response. There is no information about how many or what types of guns are being transfered. If an individual has a valid CHL, background check is bypassed and ATF doesnt even get informed that a gun purchase is in progress.

The only way they can track how many guns youve bought is by going to every reseller who has sold a gun, looking through their logbooks and counting. And logbooks aren't indexed or organized - it looks like a hotel log book in an old movie - you just have to look at every transaction the retailer has done sequentially. Figuring out definitavely how many guns youve bought is incredibly time and manpower intensive. Even if you just limit it to a single mid-sized city, over a limited period, like a year, you're talking days for groups of agents to show up on gun store front doors all around the city and rifle through every transaction that has occured and count.

If someone really wants to cover their tracks, they just have to buy guns one or two at a time with a CHL and go to a different gun shop every time. There is nothing to prevent you from buying 10,000 guns as long as you "Smurf" it hard enough.

B-Bob and jiggyfly like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I knew it was because there was no Data Base but in 2021 it seems that this would be low hanging fruit and you would not need to keep these records in perpetuity.

I just wonder if something like this was a priority and explained maybe you could get more support, especially with the NRA weakening.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

AleksandarN likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

A gun database will never fly with the gun nuts and their politicians. That's the reason for the arcane and ineffectual system Otto described.

You might as well ask them to get microchipped.

Ottomaton likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I know but I think that number is dwindling and I think with a good messaging it could possibly work especially for all the what about chicago people.