1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Systemic Racism and Implicit Bias Affects African Americans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 4, 2020.

1. edwardc

edwardc Member

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So first of all banks were failing and closing. People lost their money. The banks didn't have the federal insurance. So once there was a run on the banks and people tried to withdraw money the banks didn't have their money. They just lost their money. The banks that couldn't pay had to close.

If the banks did foreclose, they may want to foreclose on the most valuable homes first, so yes.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So what does that have to do with my point? They foreclosed where they had to. Again value does not matter in my analysis

tinman likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Turkey Leg Hut has become a bastion of Houston’s Black culture — and a gentrification lightning rod":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2021/05/14/turkey-leg-hut-houston/

excerpt:

Houston, the largest city in the nation without zoning, is also one of the state’s most rapidly gentrifying cities. Black and Latino residents in such neighborhoods as Third Ward, East Downtown and the Heights have been displaced amid new property development and restaurants from typically White owners. As White residents enter formerly predominantly Black communities nationwide, Black business owners are frequently accused of problematic business practices. In Dallas, De’Vante Harris claimed his Harris’ House of Heroes restaurant was being targeted by racism coded as crowd control complaints, and in Brooklyn, Akiva Ofshtein closed Woodland Bar after losing its liquor license due to noise complaints.

Turkey Leg Hut has faced complaints about noise, parking violations and regulatory issues. Such complaints are coded language, Nakia and Lynn allege, for objections to their running a Black restaurant in a location where White people also live.

In one claim, neighbors filed a lawsuit alleging that the restaurant’s “noxious” smoke was “significantly impacting their quality of life.” The plaintiffs eventually dropped their case (although they are open to resuming litigation), and Nakia and Lynn say it was a direct assault on the inherent Blackness of their business — and their disruption of ongoing gentrification in the neighborhood and region. While plaintiffs (most of them White) say they are merely trying to protect public health, Black customers refer to them as “colonizers and gentrifiers” who want to live in Black neighborhoods but don’t like what the Black residents, business owners and customers do.

“We don’t make it about race, because we see all types of people that come through and that support our business,” Nakia said. “But when the lawsuit happened, we knew what it was about.”

The restaurant has also been embroiled in other lawsuits, including two between minority owner Steven Rogers and Nakia, each alleging financial misconduct, theft and embezzlement, among other serious accusations. Despite these lawsuits, the restaurant’s social media is filled with Houstonians supporting their mission, long lines continue to form every day, and ongoing visits from top celebrities have only reinforced its local and national reputation. The Prices have maintained their innocence and have aimed to keep the focus on their food and local community engagement activities. They’ve been seen helping feed the city’s homeless and held a vigil for Houston native George Floyd. The owners see the restaurant as part of Houston’s larger Black community, and they are determined to serve their food, their way.

Turkey Leg Hut sits on Almeda Road, the name of a track on the fourth studio album from singer Solange Knowles, a Third Ward native (along with her older sister, Beyoncé). “We aren’t going anywhere,” Nakia said. “We chose that location for a reason. We brought light back to a street that, at one point was moving, and then before we got over there, it was dead. This is our community.”

Almeda is Black in its history and its present, serving as a mainstay in Houston’s influential rap community, the students who seek education at nearby Texas Southern University and the University of Houston, and the long-standing residents of downtown. Nearly 23 percent of Houstonians are Black; the city has also been home to musicians Megan Thee Stallion, Chamillionaire, Yolanda Adams and the late DJ Screw, and boasts a hip-hop and artistic culture that is fundamentally rooted in Blackness. Chefs Chris Williams and Marcus Davis are two of many Black chefs who carry on the legacy of soul food and Southern cooking for Houstonians, and the city’s political landscape wouldn’t exist without the work of Black political leaders.

Customers worry that critiques against Turkey Leg Hut represent a bigger issue within gentrification: a specific attempt to push out Black culture.

“If we lose that part of the culture, where does that group go?” Harrison asked. “We like the places that we’re not going to get hassled for wearing typical urban wear, because that is part of the culturally relevant culture here.”

Although the Prices own the land their hut sits on, they are part of an ongoing American legacy of systemic racism in business ownership. In 2014, 53.4 percent of Black business owners who applied for loans were turned down, compared with 24.7 percent of White owners, according to the U.S. Federal Reserve. Despite their success, Lynn and Nakia have yet to acquire a business loan or a line of credit.

“We understand the position we’re in, and we know it is difficult for our people,” Nakia said. “So we’re going to keep at it. We’ve invested our money wisely, and we’re going to put that into the block.”

Regardless of how neighbors react, Nakia and Lynn have made it clear that challenges won’t stop them. With expansions through more food trucks, new pop-ups planned throughout the state, and other projects on the horizon (coming this year: the Breakfast Hut), the business appears to just be getting started.

“We’ve created good food and a vibe that’s just unmatched,” Lynn said. “How does anybody think they’re going to stop that?”
    more at the link

tinman and B-Bob like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/turkey-leg-hut-vs-its-neighbours.302700/

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just when I think you cannot be more ignorant.

All races had good jobs in the 50's?

WTF?

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@jiggyfly

Your ignorance demonstrates why we are miserable. We are ignorant of our progress

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The fact that you think that link proves a point and what you could not understand about FB was posting shows that nobody should respond to anything you say.

It was actually sad reading the entirety of this thread.

I mean you could not even understand what the great depression had to do with home ownership rates and you had the ignorance to ask why where white people losing their homes as if race had anything to do with it.

Really dude?

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why would white people lose their homes more in the 30s? You don't even know what that discussion was about. It's above your head as most of these topics are.

All you did on my employment post is talk **** even when I provided facts

@ThatBoyNick

This is why I talk to him like I do

#650 pgabriel, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He really argued for pages and pages about 'red lining' and didn't know what it meant...that cracked me up.

B-Bob, Andre0087 and jiggyfly like this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is like d rider support.

The red lining mistake doesn't take away from my overall point but even if it did I would still be aand do so

You showed up twice only to ride me about an admitted mistake. Says a lot about your character

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@ThatBoyNick

@JayGoogle shows up in thread twice in 4 days only to talk about one mistake I admitted

Whatelse to call that but d riding? Apparently I'm the only thing he is interested in

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I commented in this thread because OS bumped it by sharing a ridiculous article (as he so famously does)

You replied to that, and I said no thanks to rehashing a topic we have spent a collective hour or two discussing over the past couple of years.

Then you called Jiggy a b**** and I commented that those kinds of personal attacks aren't appropriate and ruin the forum. (I feel like calling people a b**** plenty of times, but it's a losers play to cuss someone out instead of ignoring them or explaining why you disagree)

I made a meme about dick riding because I think it's funny (not a personal attack btw).

And now you summoned me for no reason twice today, and I for no reason am re-capping everything, and you will probably reply with some weird point that I won't get or agree with, or have interests to engage with.

[​IMG]

Andre0087, JayGoogle and jiggyfly like this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I responded to you reasonably about your post. My post was on the thread topic.

Since you butted in my discussion with Jiggy, Jiggy has asked me personally about what I try to do to help and I answered him honestly and was attacked

The only reason you're defending him is because you agree with him in disagreement with. Fine. But don't project that into me being the *******

And yes I'm calling you out because you made it a topic

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not ridiculous

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just because the author doesn't know what systemic racism is doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The only alledged difference between systemic racism and racism is systemic is harder to prove, therefore it has become the liberal mantra. Oh police departments don't have leadership pushing officers to be suspicious of blacks

But there is a system of decision makers and policies and decisions over time that is racist. Individually we can't prove any direct racism but when you put it all together it's a system

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Just like in the military there is a large disconnect between law enforcement leadership like police chiefs and military officers with rank and file enlisted and patrol cops.

They are different cultures. Police chiefs and leadership often don't hold the same far right wing conservative views that your average patrol cop caries. If you want to know the average rhetoric and views of cops look at the rhetoric that comes from police union presidents.