1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA to address wack shooting fouls in the off-season. Rocket Legends Harden & Olynyk faint

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatBoyNick, May 14, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[Wojnarowski] In the offseason, the NBA plans to address the unnatural shooting motions of star players like James Harden and Trae Young that get foul calls under the rules in the NBA -- but would get eye rolls on the playground.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...od-nba-ongoing-fight-regain-financial-footing

Personally, I like this decision. I have confidence Kelly will be able to adapt to the new rules, and maintain his star performance regardless of changes.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Unnatural shooting motion?
    If it is going in . .. . . .

Jamaal Wilkes Faints

Rocket River

rockbox, London'sBurning and B-Bob like this.
  3. HardenVolumeOne

Lol harden has been getting less free throws since they made several tweaks to stop him. If you wanna talk about a perimeter player abusing the rules right now. It’s steph curry. Refs are rewarding him with 3 free throws even when the defender fouls him before the “gather.” Watch the warriors tonight and you’ll see it at least once or twice

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Is this even that big of a problem? Most players don't have the strength/skill to pull these movies off.

Scoring is not up because Harden stretched his arms out on drives. Scoring is up because you can't touch any offensive player. But, changing that would limit more popular finesse players like Steph Curry or Lillard than bulky guys like Harden that regularly score through contact.

The other reason scoring is up is just due to analytics. Teams are much smarter about roster construction and are seeking out versatile scorers at the big positions. 90s/2000s scores were lower partly because teams had unskilled bigs that were only there because of their size/athleticism.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If they're talking about how Harden holds the ball out while driving, I don't see how they can do this. If you're on the playground and you have your arms out and then a defender smacks it, it should be a foul. I'd have to see some video examples of what exactly they're trying to get rid of.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Didn't read the article, as I don't have an Insider account, but what 'unnatural shooting motion' is it referencing, when it comes to Harden?

8. malakas

malakas Member

It's not that much about Harden but Trae Young.
    Who has been blatantly abusing the rules and it's disgusting. He's also so young and has many years ahead of his carreer for it to become even more disgusting so they want to cut it in the bud.
    Other young players like Tatum and Doncic do the same but less so.
    They want to do something before it becomes more prevalent with the young players imo.

napalm06 and DavidJuan like this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

His FTr is still higher than guys like lebron, kd, KL, curry etc.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

James Harden does not have unnatural shooting motions. He just drives the lane and extends his arms inviting players to try to strip the ball. They try and fail. The end.

Now, unnatural shooting motions like Curry kicking his leg out when he shoots 3's is a different story. I see that was not mentioned here. I wonder why?

Invisible Fan, Reeko and pippendagimp like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What the NBA and the NFL should address in the off-season is coaches challenges to horrendous calls. I think if a coach wins a challenge they should gat back their challenge.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

The game on the playground/pick up games is completely different when you’re playing organized games. Strategy and
    Playing the rules which includes using them to your advantage in relation to the game is in full play. It doesn’t matter how unnatural it is to the casual eye. This is part of being able to separate yourself from others and as the level of competition grows, it becomes all that more important

It's as much as it is on the defense to be able to discipline yourself and not be punished for their own stupid decisions. Half the players know not to reach and lean into players yet they continue to do it. Why? Bc most of them aren't discipline enough and do not pay enough attention to details to do otherwise

scoring is inflated now because the pace of the game is much faster and the vast majority are pulling 3s all game long. The modern era is also softer and the defensive rules in place in which they ref favor more the offensive player instead of more of a balance

#12 YOLO, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Reeko, clos4life and don grahamleone like this.
  13. lionaire

lionaire Member

How many times have they tried to nerf Harden? Feel like we hear it almost every offseason

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Harden hooking arms was definitely unnatural. Harden also falls and kicks his feet a couple of feet ahead of where he jumps from often.

The creating contact area is a really difficult area. If they ever change the rules to make creating contact a no call it will seriously change the league, and will be quite difficult to officiate.

This ^ intrinsically includes the pump fake and lean it jump shot foul which is quite clearly and abomination to the sport.

Harden (and everybody else these days) drive in the paint and rip there arms, or simply bump their body into their opponent to draw a foul at will. IMO I would like to see this change. (But Harden still draws over half his fouls by legitimately being fouled).

The NBA has become too much about fouls and free throws, not enough about defense, not enough about actual basketball. That’s why in the title it says shooting motions that would get you laughed at playing at the park.

I would welcome some big changes, 140 point games left and right, scrubs dropping 30 left and right, seeing guys draw super weak shooting fouls all night is just whack and embarrassing for the sport

Red.Glare and malakas like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Nothing can nerf Harden he’s arguably the greatest scorer in NBA history, and most of the fouls he draws are legit anyways.

fckbandwagons and Williamson like this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What is an unnatural shooting motion? Who determines that?

What's wrong with how it is? The refs can decide if the player is doing too much, teams can challenge it. If anything, just change how challenges work, you should get another challenge if you win a challenge.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is true but this is a natural shooting motion for many players when they take longer shots or off-balance shots or off the dribble shots. It's actually pretty natural.

It's called swaying or some call it leg drift. There's tons of videos on it for people that don't believe me but it's something people will do without noticing it or watch 100 NBA games and not notice it until there's a shooting foul on the motion.

I mean yeah, there are cases definitely where shooters exaggerate to get the call but a lot of shooters will just naturally sway their legs forward on a jumpshot.

I remember arguing with people about it all those playoffs because people swore up and down that Harden does it for fouls but he does it quite often as do a lot of players when launching longer 3s. Curry also does it although his is less noticeable. Kobe, Tmac, bigger wings tend to do it more often.

Here is also Coach Nick talking about it.

So I really don't know how refs can officiate a 'natural' shooting motion.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Right there is natural drift, and Harden like most players has it to an extent, but there was a period of time where he was purposely drop-kicking players in their ankles from 3 feet away lol, the man was clever you have to give him that, but at the same time I have to agree some of the things he did weren't in the spirit of actual basketball.

But this isn't about Harden it's about the entire league. Everybody does all of it these days. Kelly Olynyk just put on a clinic of the pump and jump foul at a ridiculous level, only player I've ever seen spam that move more is Lowry.

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i didn't see the game, but if people were falling for kelly olynyk pump fakes left and right, then they deserve every foul that was called on them.

Milos and don grahamleone like this.
  20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that's perception more than reality. maybe perception is all that matters in an entertainment business, but even with the faster pace of play, free throws per game are at the lowest they've ever been (basically tied with 2018).