1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Biden's America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, May 12, 2021.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Most restaurant owners barely make money. They work 80-100 hours a week and seldom profit more than 100K a year. They are lucky to break even the first year of business. Many would have gone out business if not for the bailout last year. I'm not talkin Tilman, I'm talking mom and pop restaurants which most are.

The hate for business owners by some here is just crazy.

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

They can request employees that were laid off to return to work, if they don't then that person loses unemployment so I'm still not understanding the problem here.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Mom and pop restaurants are rare in major cities.

Most establishments are owned by corporations or partner groups.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. rockbox

If you didn't lay anyone off or the ones you laid off went off to do something else, then there isn't anyone to request back. The problem is that restaurants are having a really difficult time ramping up their business again because they can't find workers. That is a fact.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. rockbox

6. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Well it is what it is...I think a lot of people on UI have seen how bad they were getting screwed by their previous employer and just aren't gonna work those shitty paying jobs anymore.

jiggyfly, REEKO_HTOWN, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Amazon hiring 75,000 workers at $17/hr with $1,000 sign on bonus.

Why would anyone want to work at a restaurant? Hard work, poor wages, micromanagement, terrible customers. Oh that’s right apparently few people would want to and somehow it’s confusing that they aren’t flooding back to wear their 30 pieces of flair?

FLASH21, REEKO_HTOWN, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

My heart breaks for the small business owners in the restaurant and service sector who got annihilated by the pandemic.

It does not break my heart that businesses that pay crap wages for hard work have a hard time finding employees. Raise the wages.

It's beyond me how everyone has conclusively agreed that restaurants cannot be expected to both pay a living wage and stay in business.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They're all waiting for the perfect script to showcase their full talents...

Or more like, they usually have no choice?

I remember that you (have) live(d) in Europe? I know they pay fair wages to restaurant workers and they can usually retain more dignity there than they can here.

Americans just want their foods fast and cheap. If they want that 15-20% tip, they gotta earn them dues...

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't understand why America glamorises small businesses then.

Don't understand why anyone wants to work for a small business owner. Generally shitty benefits and shitty wages. At least if you work for Amazon you get good benefits and a little better wage.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I learned that mcd corporate is more like a real estate company that franchises locations after watching Founder.

JumpMan likes this.
  15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

superfob and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If you’ve worked for a small business you also get the bonus of the ridiculous nepotism as generally the business is infested with family members.

REEKO_HTOWN and ROCKSS like this.
  17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Well said. The entire restaurant salary structure in the United States needs to be revamped. First, customers should not be expected to pay a restaurant’s staff by tipping a server or waiter for simply doing his or her job. If a restaurant owner needs to raise prices to pay their staff a living wage, so be it. Second, paying an employee $2.13 per hour and making their financial outlook completely dependent on how much they get in tips that day should not be considered a sustainable business model. If you can’t pay your staff a living wage for working a typical shift regardless of how many tables they wait, then you don’t deserve to remain in business, or you need to figure out how to adjust your budget to pay them a living wage.

#117 DVauthrin, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
    REEKO_HTOWN and Andre0087 like this.
  18. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Yes. Waiters and restaurant staff are employees just like white collar workers. And if you're an employer in Germany your employees have numerous guaranteed protections.

Now, it must be said that the American system results in better table service overall, but that's not fair to the waiters. Customers can be awful to wait staff; it's a hard job.

Germany does have poor conditions for the thousands of migrant workers in their meat processing plants. It's not all rainbows.

jiggyfly and DVauthrin like this.
  19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I want you in your own words to explain Biden's role in these from a executive policy perspective, rhetoric perspective along with Democrat majority passed bills he signed with textual evidence of how those bills effect these things.

FranchiseBlade likes this.