1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I'm sticking to BTC/ETH and only top name alt coins. There is value is crypto in that sovereign entities are using it as a hedge against dollar denominated inflation and more so as a way to protect themselves from US economic sanctions/bullying given that the dollar is the world's currency. I'm also holding crypto long-term. In 2018 I bought $2K of coins as a pure speculative investment near the peak, which went down to $400 at one point, and now it is up to $5K. I do believe on a 5-year horizon, BTC and ETH will continue to appreciate and provide some level of safety in case inflation gets out of hand (don't forget we've had 15% inflation only a few decades ago).

#16361 Cokebabies, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    CCity Zero and saitou like this.
  2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

This is what I'm gathering - inflation itself isn't what is killing stocks, it's the expectation of much higher interest rates to combat inflation making risk free bonds more attractive vs other assets, which is why gold has been down, not up. If institutions can get good yield on bonds will they still buy btc/eth?

I've been diversifying a bit into crypto as well, but not going crazy buying new stuff either. If stocks crash triggering margin calls, crypto will also get sold off with it imo.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Yes. This is one time I'm not sure I completely agree with Buffett. I think the majority of cryptocurrency is rat poison, but crypto, in function, I think can be something pretty awesome. BTC specifically? I really don't care one way or the other. Some of the reason for its price appreciation is based on "rat poison", but there are way better examples of rat poison in the crypto space.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure crypto is much of a hedge against anything at this point. Most of the times stocks sell off, crypto dumps. Then you have 1 person tweeting something and it causes just about every crypto on the planet to dump whether they be PoW, PoS, PoST, or whatever.... it's like "he mentioned crypto... SELL!". If you're buying crypto at this point, it's maaaaybe for the de-fi aspect of it, you hope to catch a moon ride/gamble, or you just want to support something you believe in.

5. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Yep, not pouring more money into crypto as hedge. Using doge profits to gamble, already took out my initial capital. Will only invest serious $ in crypto if there is mega crash.

6. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Background Press Call by Senior Administration Officials on Executive Order Charting a New Course to Improve the Nation’s Cybersecurity and Protect Federal Government Networks

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...rity-and-protect-federal-government-networks/

In terms of beneficiaries, my best guess based on what i'm reading (not an IT professional) in order is fireeye, okta, crwd. maybe zs, net, ping. already holding net and fireeye; but scared to add anything with so much fud :(

#16366 saitou, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I've bought 2 ETH coins. One at $3,200-ish AUD.

The other at $2,800-ish AUD.

So now as it hovers at $5,000 AUD i'm thinking you beauty.

It's gone from $5,500 -> $4,600 today but slowly rising back to $5,000.

At what price-point should I be looking to get back in? Am I foolish to think it'll drop below $3,500 AUD again?

For instance I'm not sure I want to buy another one or two coins when it's so close to its ATH.... but am I going to be left looking like a fool if it never drops as low as my perceived entry point again and kicking myself at not buying in again at $5,000 AUD a coin?

My plan is to hold until 2025 minimum.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think for crypto you really need to play it like stock options - unless you really believe in the project/coin etc. don't set it and forget it (even if the project is solid - imo it's still not set and forget). I'm not saying ETH won't keep climbing but I also can't say tomorrow it's not going to be $2000. I've been involved on both ends of crypto (the easy times like now and the hard times) and even with having more success I'm still not willing to invest and forget it unless it's an amount I am okay throwing away. My typical play on crypto is to put in an amount I'm good with investing and losing at any point for numerous reasons - hitting my PT and then getting out my original investment and letting the rest ride and going from there.

I've also been on the end of getting my coins trapped on an exchange - and I was typically following the whole - "I only move my coins when trading so I'm safe!", no... maybe safer.

I think as it becomes more regulated maybe it can be a set and forget type thing, but if there was a hard crash and you were trying to get your cash out - I'd rather be in any other investment than crypto - and I've made more money on crypto than I've lost even with the whole cash trapped on a trash exchange - so I'm definitely not trying to make this come across as crypto is evil or something. I just see it as another place to make/lose money like any other investment, but it's truly traded 24/7 and can change direction extremely fast.

9. adoo

adoo Member

started a play on HTZGQ, who owns Hertz rent-a-car, who had been in Chapter 11 proceedings, leading to an auction of its assets in order to exit bankruptcy

Effectively, this would provide for the payment in cash in full of all administrative, priority, secured, and unsecured claims in the Chapter 11 cases and would deliver significant value to the Company's existing shareholders including:

• $239 million of cash;
    • common stock representing 3% of the shares of the reorganized Company (subject to dilution from warrants and equity issued under a new management incentive plan); and
    • 30-year warrants for 18% of the common stock of the reorganized Company (subject to dilution by a new management incentive plan) with a strike price based on a total equity value of $6.5 billion, or the opportunity, for eligible shareholders, to subscribe for shares of common stock in the $1.635 billion rights offering at Plan equity value.

i see it as an inexpensive recovery/re-opening play.

the difference between Hertz and Avis is that

while Avis continues to be heavily debt-ridden, as a result of this successful auction, Hertz is not.
    in a higher inflation economic environment, it is much better to be debt-free.​

#16369 adoo, May 13, 2021
    saitou and Cokebabies like this.
  10. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

calls? what's the expiry?

from FT article "Current shareholders will get about $1.50 per share in cash along with a small slice of the reorganised Hertz’s equity, as well as the chance to get warrants or buy shares in it. One person involved in the process said value of that package could approach $8 per share though that figure hinges on the views of the overall value of the reorganised Hertz as well as inputs in the technical valuation of the warrants."

#16370 saitou, May 13, 2021
  11. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

How are you playing this? Holding the stock to whatever the payout conversion is ($8)?

12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

cash payout is only $1.50. see my above quote from FT. we only have report that package is valued at $8, but that's subjective. wish i saw this earlier.

13. adoo

adoo Member

bought the stock, traded on otc pink sheet, ~ $4.6.

w re-opening and no debt, and backings from PE, it'd not be far-fetched to see Hertz to be operating like a multi-billion $ corp, a "going-concern" again.
    to that end Hertz (now being traded on pink sheet) could be re-listed on NYSE. that's why i m taking a flyer on it.

food for thought,

• Avis, w a book value of negative $4.5/share, trades at a stock price of ~~ $78
    w this successful auction, Hertz's book value is > positive $1.5 / share.​

#16373 adoo, May 13, 2021
    Cokebabies likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm getting fed up with BABA .... that is all ...
    And isn't it almost time to buy NFLX again for some of you? lol.

whag00 and adoo like this.
  15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

that's so nice, looks like an easy win for you. i got in at $6, hopefully the news report on the package is right. in short term really depends on details like exercise price of warrants etc.

16. adoo

adoo Member

got in yesterday, in the midst of lots of pain from the beating i took on CRM

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m very tired of seeing my growth picks five each day.

sad

Sajan likes this.
  18. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Never would have imagined clean energy and EV would crash this hard.

Sajan likes this.
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

20. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I finally bought some BABA today though I guess I was a bit early..got in at $213...hopefully won't care...I bought half my position (though to be honest that usually ends up being my entire position and then I get annoyed)...