1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros 2021 Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Astros should have no concerns about Yordan's plate discipline. He's got a tremendous eye. If he's healthy, he should be the guaranteed #3 or #4 hitter in every possible lineup, regardless of lefty-righty starter.

Nook, cmoak1982, RustyHarden and 2 others like this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Ketel Marte is under team control for 3 more seasons after this year on a team friendly contract and the last 2 seasons are team options. If he is available, I doubt we are capable of putting a package together that would land him. They did take on Corbin Martin while rehabbing from TJ in the Greinke deal. Maybe they would want Whitley.

Starling Marte is making 12.5 million. If he is traded at the deadline he would still be owed about 4.2 million. Click will have to get creative to make that work under the luxury tax. Probably cost a big haul of prospects to get the Marlins to eat money when they will have other teams looking to land him.

Zero chance the Rangers trade Gallo to Houston in my opinion.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When you are batting almost .400 with his power, walks aren't that big of a deal. The crazy thing is that most of his K's are with him looking. Very few swing and misses.

cmoak1982 and jiggyfly like this.
  4. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Yes, I have watched almost every game this year. I know he has been rung up a few times on out of the zone pitches, but in 1/3 of the ABs his rookie year he has 1/13 of the BBs. Not that it is a problem... I love what he is doing. His Ks are fine. I just thought it was a statistical oddity.

5. raining threes

I'm thinking of a Keke Hernandez type CF.

Dee Gordon

Adam Frazier from the Pirates is a guy I would look very seriously at.

#225 raining threes, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

$4M isn’t likely to be a roadblock or difference maker in a Starling Marte trade. Houston may have to include another 3rd tier prospect over other teams who can afford to take on salary. But it’s unlikely to push a Houston out of the running.

Rangers may require a slight premium to trade with Houston but teams typically do what’s best for themselves even if it means dealing with their rival.

There are probably wide ranging opinions on Ketel Marte’s value especially when evaluating him as a CF. He projects to 10-12 fWAR over his remaining contract after the deadline, so somewhere in the $50-60M in surplus value range. For Houston that would definitely be a stretch, but I think a group of 3-4 of their best prospects would be competitive with what other teams would offer.

7. Buck Turgidson

This is the worst ****ing idea I've ever heard....and I've heard some really bad ideas in my day.

Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Bagwell throwing left handed faints.

9. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

How close are Framber and Verlander to coming back later this year?

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Assuming the Twins remain out of contention, I wonder what the market cost would be for Byron Buxton?

Crazy high potential value and another year of team control, but he is always f**king hurt.

Nook likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Framber is starting rehab assignment soon and could be back with the club in June assuming there are no setbacks.

Verlander could come back by the playoffs as a reliever. There is no way he could build up the endurance to be a starting pitcher. Maybe starter in name only where he only goes once through the order. But pretty much everything has to go right in his rehab for this to happen. I think he is motivated so he can get a decent offer to pitch next season.

TWS1986 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Buxton would cost a ton

mikol13 and raining threes like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They have to sell though... he’s like the CF version of Correa, without the playoff success.

14. raining threes

Adam Frazier is a guy I hope Click is looking into trading for.

15. Screaming Fist

So with Urquidy out for likely a month or two, I wonder who they call up to take his spot in the rotation? Ivey? Solomon?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Paredes

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Bielak would step into the rotation and Emanuel/Solomon would handle multi-inning reliever duty. Astros have both Valdez and Odorizzi expected back in 2-3 weeks so it should only be 3-4 starts.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I understand that but doubtful we can match the prospect haul it would take to get him. Especially since Whitley is damaged good

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Cost would be high but not astronomical. He’ll have probably $20-30M in surplus value at the deadline. For Houston that would mean a package of 3 2nd tier prospects. Maybe something like Luis Garcia, Freudis Nova, and Bryan Abreu.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'd be willing see what the Marlins' asking price would be for Starling Marte.

He may not return until early June so the Marlins could find themselves even further, not surprisingly, out of contention then they already are.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.