1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN/MacMahon] "Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta excited about future of the NBA franchise"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 12, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yet they still have 2 young stars to build around.

I don't think Ainge is a great GM but he has a great base to build from.

2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Ainge's big mistake was that he's been too gun shy to make a move with any of those picks. They had like a dozen picks these last few years that they kept saying could be packaged together to get a star but in the end they just drafted them all and ended up with a load of duds like Edwards, Langford, Wanamaker, Pritchard, Ojeleye, Nesmith, Grant Williams, etc. I mean how many low end role players do you need? They did a good job with the top 5 picks but they twiddled their thumbs for way too long with the mid 1sts and ended up with nothing. They overpriced those Sac and Memphis 1sts cause they had top 5 potential and bang they ended up late lottery. I only hope that we don't make the same mistake with our own future 1sts.

napalm06, dmoneybangbang and TWS1986 like this.
  3. DonatelloLimestone

I agree in some senses, but I don't find it wise to ignore tilman, why?
    Bc even in this article where he 'said the right things' he continued to peddle the same lie abotu going all in and he supported it and thats why we are here.
    Why doest that matter for our team which is up and coming? Those valuable picks that we site, could we used them to rid of Wall and EG? We did lose assets in financial only moves trhoguht the contention, when the guy is not sitting here and saying look I learned we were new thats one thing like the nuggets owner did, another to spout the same lie of I went all in and trusted my basketball ops, they took us here and thats where we are.

I don't mourn the loss of a team whatseover, I seek to learn from history. At the every moment we are at the bottomo fo the ranking with a 52 percent chance to get a franchise chasing top 4 pick. None of the above, the truth, and acknowledging it keep me somehow or find it too complicating for me to see that we have great pieces. That stone has shown a knack, as a rookie gm, to find some gems in youth like KMJ who I have been saying I believe is a starter or more so long as he keeps working on his shot. Or Tate another guy you don't have to run plays for and would contribute to any team and situation and we got him as he is late aged, I love that we took the chance and we have those guys for 3 more years on fantastic contracts.
    KPJ is a more than obvious low risk high reward and judjing just by this season given we gave up close to nothing, is already promising and exciting. Christian wood is a borderline all star player on the mid level. We have both for the next two situations. That is excellent.

I have no idea why people can see that, look forward that we have a great clean slate and our team is incredibly gritty and likeable and can ONLY get better next year even wihtout hitting our pick while also when I hear the owner continually goto press as the rockets Face and lie, blame, and rui our name and credibility maybe ulike any other owner we've seen. Why does that affect the upcoming team? The NBA is a small, small world. Even less than the amount of players is the amount of agents. They talk, relationships matter, and he continues to throw under the bus and show that he will throw people under the bus who have worked for him or point fingers to avoid incremental hits to his own branding and that hurts the prospects of the rockets future. It hurst the prospect that when these young guys pan out, more talent will want to come. it hurts the prospect that quality staff on the court and in the front office are going to want to bring their talents here when they have other choices. This is objective and also being optimistic with what we have.

I'm not one of these new age kids who need to be all optimism safe space or I can't see past what was done and apply that to our, once again, great future in my opinion. We have picks, we have youth, we can only go up in our rebuild. There aren't many owners doing these type of interviews, you have to agree to them, call agents, make time and appointments to get them featured. He seeks this out, and once again will throw lies and other people under the bus, and it does not help the rockets as a destination, it doesn't help the rockets in reputation. To blind myself to that is not pragmatic. I do hope and believe in reform, I do hope and believe that he will answer the call when that time comes again, yet once again as he continues the lies, I see no problem calling it out. That doesn't change my opinion of KMJ, KPJ, Wood, Tate...that might change their opinion as they are observing and if they get similar offers in the market to compare what culture and team they would like to play for. Thats a fact.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I have no problem with what you just said right there

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well damn I’ll just stop watching then if the rockets have no chance of being one game above .500 at this point of the season in the Eastern Conference in the next 5 years. Young superstars indeed lol

D-rock likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup when you take into full account what they've done in the past 3-4 years already. And they're only 23/24. the rockets won't even sniff close to a down year for the celtics this year. while you're apparently laughing at their two young stars, folks here are still searching for one still be the worst team in the league

peleincubus likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Searching? Harden was on the team this very season. When I get home later I’ll archive this post and reference it in a few years. I’m content where the rockets are at (besides the owner being extremely underwhelming) especially compared to a team like the Celtics. Which should be hard capped the upcoming season with in my opinion middling stars that if we’re to win would need a player likely better then both of them on the team.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

What an embarrassment. An incredibly crass quote. 3.5 years of utterly inept management but don't worry, he's happy.

We aren't but he is, I guess.

sydmill and D-rock like this.
  9. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

We're not going to go do something stupid to try to get into the playoffs next year that then will prevent us from competing for a championship in a couple years.

This is what you say when you realize how bad you screwed up that CP3 & Westbrook trade.

BMoney, D-rock and Williamson like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure what harden being on the team this very season has anything to do with a future that doesn't involve him. so yeah they're definitely searching.

yeah please archive, cause ill sure continue to keep bumping as i've always done. and let me know when the rockets get all stars like Tatum/Brown who will also be all nba players at some point in the future

peleincubus likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

You a GOAT Don. I’ll keep you in mind whenever Tillman’s name comes up. We all have said how we we feel about this man, we can only hope things get better

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

What exactly Boston had built in the last 8 years since their trade made in 2013?

Now they are getting ready to fire their coach once their sorry season to be ended.

If I will tell you that the next 8 years of the Rockets will be exactly the same of what happened to Boston the last 8 years and you will be excited about it?

Easy likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Even if they fire their coach they still have 2 young top 20 type guys and they have been deep into the playoffs over those 8 years.

That's my point, I will be excited if the Rockets can get the same thing from those assets so I don't know what your point is?

14. csc177

csc177 Member

Stone is far from an idiot but I agree that the future is bright... Tatum and Jaylen are two young rising stars not yet in their prime, and already top 25 talents in the league

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

He wasn’t the crystal clear idiot I was referring to

D-rock likes this.
  16. Salvy

Salvy Member

So The Rockets finally have a longsighted owner who actually wants to win a championship and not stay mediocre season after season and people mad at him for that? We truly are living in a clown age, everything is twisted I tell ya.

Funny how everyone now n days want to blame their misery on something that has nothing to do with it, in this case its Tilman for ruining and already ruined franchise. But but but Harden and almost reaching the finals that one year. Yeah, listen to yourselves. One year we "almost" reached the finals. No free agents wanted to come here before Tilman. No one came. Not a single coveted star in their prime came for the incredible Morey and MDA yall worship.

Finally someone speaks sense and people spin it, absurd. Cant wait for Rockets basketball to be great again, it has not been since 1995...

don grahamleone and ashleyem like this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Talking is one thing lets see him actually do it. The only thing I seen so far is this owner of ours says a lot of bullsht, that fans like u gobble up.

Anybody can say the right thing, taking action and doing it is different.

lakersuck2 likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

What I envision the rockets being hinges on them getting a top pick this season. Another one next season. Then when Wall is gone adding someone good in FA. Then trading perhaps some of Brooklyn’s picks as they fall of
    Tatum is 52 and Brown 74 for win shares per 48/minutes. Pretty damn underwhelming in my opinion.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2021_advanced.html#advanced_stats::ws_per_48

I guess there teammates so effect that Metric though.

Salvy likes this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Gobble up? Wait, we have only won 16 games this year.... Tanked for 90% of the season and made virtually no moves that could make us mediocre or lose our chances of a high draft pick. Have traded away nearly every single player from last year and have focused on young talent with a tons of potential that could become good if not great rotational players or good assets in the future. Created cap room, and have brought in tons of draft picks and could potentially have created for themselves a 1st round pick for one of the most coveted players in some time.

That's not gobbling bull$hit, that seeing action backed by words. Nothing this season indicates Tilman is just talking..... Contrary to what you are stating actually. Stop projecting....

peleincubus likes this.
  20. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Great post. The Rockets are so far from the luxury tax mattering again that it's not really worth worrying about. If we were going to keep making trades like the WB trade then that's something to worry about but everything we've done in the past year and quotes like this from Tilman should give encouragement that the organizational lesson has been learned from that terrible trade.

Not every move in the past year has been successful but Stone seems very competent and like he's approaching things the right way. We don't have Vlade Divac, Isaiah Thomas, or Phil Jackson making basketball decisions. I don't get the complaints about the Nets picks, especially since I think some of the complainers may have wanted or been fine with Tyler Herro as a trade centerpiece which would look substantially worse now. The Lakers won it all last year and were supposedly invincible this year and might wind up in the lottery. The Warriors had one of the best teams of all time and then a year later they get the #2 pick in the draft and this year could fall in the lottery.

I badly wanted MPJ as a part of a Harden trade (very small minority opinion at that time) so probably have as good of standing to complain about the return as anyone given the leap he's taking but I'm looking forward to seeing how these picks ultimately shake out as well as the development of some of these young pieces we already have. Hopefully the odds are in our favor on July 29th.