1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

House minority leader mccarthy should have a talk with this guy...

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article247863390.html

2. NewRoxFan

3. NewRoxFan

As if any republicans will even support this singular approach to fair elections...

4. NewRoxFan

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is sensationalist BS by CNN to fuel the rage machine.

Yes it was inappropriate but Fox had no issue with it yet for some reason CNN felt a need to tweet it out.

This is not a shot at you New Rox I just hate when anybody does this stuff.

6. NewRoxFan

Not entirely sure on what your complaint with CNN on this... a sitting senator makes a sexist remark to a cabinet nominee. A nominee that the senator will need to confirm (or not). You seem to agree the comment was inappropriate. Is your complaint based on how inappropriate or offensive the remark was? Or do you simply believe CNN should have reported on it? And observing fox news had no issue with the comment?

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

My complaint is that it was said in jest and the person it was said to did not take offense but if you read the headline you would think you should be outraged by it.

My complaint is that its a headline without context that is designed to sensationalize what was said.

My question is why is this so important to go out on a tweet?

I have no problem if this was in an article on the website but its clickbait and I don't know what Fox news has to do with anything it's actually fox news like tactics.

I'm just tired of news outlets always feeding the outrage machine.

Old white guy says inappropriate **** again, why is that tweet worthy except to get a reaction?

What's accomplished by this?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

What about those GOP calls for “unity”??

9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deleted - no point in engaging on this

#649 subtomic, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
  10. NewRoxFan

Again, it was a sitting senator. And said during a confirmation hearing. So the senator was in a position of authority over the nominee.

The term for it is "microaggression" which can be defined as thinly veiled, everyday instances of racism, homophobia, sexism (and more) that you see in the world. Sometimes it's an insult, other times it's an errant comment or gesture. Some times said without knowing, others justified as said "in jest". They are inappropriate and even offensive in most situations, but even more so in situations where someone is in authority (say, if a judge says it to a defendant or even counsel, or if a hiring manager says it to an applicant (sorta what happened here), or a boss says it, or a professor.

As a member of two minority groups I see it on occasion. An older worker forgets something in a meeting, a manager jokes about "senior moments", yet people of all ages forget things, and age usually has nothing to do with. Just a joke, sure, but if it leads to older people not being hired, or promoted, or even considered for a position because of age (and couched using verbiage like "active" or "digital native" or even as blatant as "recent college graduate").

Or in this case, a women who is obviously qualified and has worked hard in her career to attain the level of success to get nominated for an important position in the cabinet... and a senator makes an inappropriate (your term), sexist, offensive (my term) comment. Later spun as "In jest" since the senator's spokesperson obviously knew it was inappropriate/sexist/offensive so resorted to the "just joking" excuse. Which is often used to cover for such things. With no apologies.

And the senator has said inappropriate/offensive comments in the past and has voted against most affirmative action related bills in his time in the senate.

VooDooPope and subtomic like this.
  11. NewRoxFan

Today's republican party...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...61d664-b37e-11eb-a3b5-f994536fe84a_story.html

No Worries likes this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I read about before here. It was a joke. She had been talking her father a few times previously during the day. Again it was a joke. Perhaps somewhat in poor taste considering the setting bu t he was trying to make her laugh. There is a line that people should not cross and saying that and getting mad about it is a line I will not cross. Many more things in the world to get upset about than something this trivial.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like cartoons, Dr. Seuss, and video games? LOL

14. NewRoxFan

That's the point of microaggressions. Micro=small. Again, she is a very accomplished woman and inhofe should not have brought up "behaving" and "telling daddy" from his position of authority in her confirmation. Hopefully she gets confirmed and can help set policies that inhofe will always oppose.

15. NewRoxFan

LOL... because America should always follow a British monarchy that we, um, had a revolutionary war to break away from...

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jim Jordan has been saying that the Republican party is an "America First, Populist Party, with Conservative Principles" Yet more sign they don't know what they stand for.

Populism and Conservatism (at least the kind that was championed by Barry Goldwater) don't go together. One that calls for an activist government that would seek to benefit the masses and go after elites including economic elites. The other argues that less interventionist government is the answer and that the market will sort out what is best for society including the masses. While economic elites will greatly benefits they will use those economic benefits to help out the rest of society (trickle down).

What Jim Jordan is talking about is a schizophrenic party that on one hand is using rhetoric attacking economic elites while at the same time passing policies that benefits those same elites. Further they are paying the price as culturally those elites are diverging from them and now are trying to argue they need to reign them in, not for economic justice, but for political and cultural reasons.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I mean income inequality, child trafficking, individuals being incarcerated for mar1juana in states where it’s legal now. Fun things like that

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well to me it is a joke. One where he was trying to make her laugh and lighten the mood. The kind of stuff you are writing about is going to make one hell of a boring world if it is always adhered to. So be it. But extremely boring.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

more evidence of the leftward drift of the GOP ;)

20. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's plenty of humor to go around in the world that doesn't involve belittling someone in a professional setting. Furthermore, if you listen to women, they put up with this kind of **** all the damn time. So this kind of "mood lightener" is as worn out as the chicken crosses the road joke, and I guarantee you would complain if you had to endure that joke several times a day every day.

If minimizing such belittling behavior makes the world boring for you, then may you be bored out your mind