1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] NYC Mayoral Primary thread, was: Andrew Yang Announces Candidacy for NYC Mayor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 16, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why are you comparing private companies using market principles to determine what I'd on their private property the same as d government banning a movement?

They are no where close to the same thing. Freedom of speech never meant "right to have your views bullhorned on someone's property". It was always a protection from the government.

2. DonatelloLimestone

I'm not, private companies should do what they want to do.
    I'm talking about this leading to governemnt legilsation to take away rights of people to organize and build a movement peacefully
    "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-BDS_laws"

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well . . . not exactly

http://www.freespeechhistory.com/timeline-2/

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's good that he was willing to openly admit his mistake. More politicians should do this without facing scrutiny over it.

Has he expressed an opinion on evicting Arab families that have been living in East Jerusalem neighborhoods for generations? I wonder if that's also something he thinks deserves support of "both sides".

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So someone who believes in human rights shouldn't criticize Israel over human rights violations. And this is considered to be not idiotic?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So I can go to your house and shout whatever I want without your right to kick me out?

I'm not reading your link. You can express your counterpoint concisely in your own words. Or at the very least quote the relevant part.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you expressed freedom of speech as "freedom from" . . . the history of free speech is "freedom to." There is a big difference.

8. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

His support among nonwhite and Hispanic voters is not very good. I see more hate on Andrew from Asians than anyone else. It's quite jarring.

He's also considered anti-black in progressive circles.

I don't think he's doing great; he just appeals very much to centrists and moderates in a time where everything politicized to an extreme degree. It's not his personality, imo, even if that's what they're answering.

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

tomorrow's the day for Yang

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2021/06/it-was-yangs-answers-on-homelessness.html

June 20, 2021
    "It was Yang’s answers on homelessness and mental health at the final debate that finally settled it for me."

"Every other candidate spoke of homelessness as a disaster for the homeless. Yang discussed it as a quality of life problem for everyone else. 'Yes, mentally ill people have rights, but you know who else have rights?' he asked. 'We do: the people and families of the city.' For Yang, I suspect, a successful mayoralty would mean restoring Michael Bloomberg’s New York, an extremely safe, pleasant place for tourists and well-off families like mine, but one where many poorer people were financially squeezed and strictly policed. Even if Yang could, as a political novice, stand up to the N.Y.P.D., he’d have little reason to, since his remit would be safety at almost any cost."

Writes Michelle Goldberg in "Eric Adams Is Awful. I’m Putting Him on My Ballot"(NYT).

The passage I've quoted gets very strong pushback in the comments at the NYT. I'll just quote one:

The big piece of evidence Michelle Goldberg uses against Yang is an answer to the homeless crisis that I happen to agree with, and I'm a liberal Democrat. Of course, the homeless need to have workable options of where to go. But progressives are just wrong to defend the rights of the "unhoused" against anybody who would dare challenge their apparent belief that they can set up camp on any square of sidewalk that they declare to be their own. I can't be the only non-conservative person in America who would like to stop the trashing of our public spaces. I mean, is that really the worst you can say about Andrew Yang? Seriously?

Posted by Ann Althouse at 8:42 AM

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

But in the sense of American history, the constitutional framers (mostly the anti-feds who negotiated a bill of rights to sign-on and were accomodated by the feds who needed their support) saw this as a "freedom from" infringement. And that infringement protection was only from the federal goverment at the time. It wasn't until reconstruction that the speech protection was incorporated to freedom from infringement by state governments.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this is an interesting issue and part of the broader topic of "negative liberties" and "positive liberties"--or negative/positive rights, negative/positive duties, negative/positive freedoms, etc.

You're right that the founders codified a primarily "negative rights" conception of free speech in the Bill of Rights. On the other hand, most scholars assume that for the founders to have done that, they must first have had a conception of the (moral) right to free speech, i.e., a prima facie commitment to the positive right to free speech before addressing the political task of how to protect that right from government infringement.

but like I said, an interesting question and not a simple one by any means

Kim likes this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's losing now, big time. Should have never told people he was a LOF and is not a Knicks fan anymore.

Can you imagine Mayor Turner saying he was not a Rockets fan because Oladipo left?

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Major

Major Member

This is why Yang would have been such a disaster as a Democratic nominee, and why no one actually voted for him in the primaries. He was an placeholder for some kind of white-knight outsider with fresh ideas, but when the ideas got fleshed out in more concrete terms, turned out no one actually liked them all that much.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

or else people just liked the law-and-order f*ck-defunding-the-police candidate more

15. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is kind of an erroneous synopsis of both the Democratic primary and the NYC mayoral race. There are a plethora of reasons for Yang's poor showing in both races. The "no one actually liked (Yang's proposals) all that much" isn't up there.

His campaign chose to focus on economics rather than crime. This isn't indicative that voters didn't like the policies, only that they felt it wasn't the top priority.
    His campaign targeted specific electorate (Asian and young voters more so than African American or Latino) and didn't get the desired turn-out.
    Name recognition.
    Campaign funding/financing.

These, and other reasons, factored in to him placing 4th in the mayoral race.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Defying 'defund police' calls, Democrat Adams leads NYC mayor's race":

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/de...ocrat-adams-leads-nyc-mayors-race-2021-06-23/

excerpt:

June 23 (Reuters) - For months, as New York City faced a growing spate of shootings, mayoral candidate Eric Adams delivered the same line at one campaign event after another: "The prerequisite for prosperity is public safety."

Adams' message, which included a vow to beef up subway patrols, appears to have resonated with a broad swath of New Yorkers as the United States' most populous city undertakes a tough recovery from the coronavirus pandemic and confronts deep challenges including wealth inequality and police accountability.

In initial results from Tuesday's Democratic primary election, Adams was the first choice on more than 31% of in-person ballots. That puts him nearly 10 percentage points ahead of liberal rival Maya Wiley, who has called for cutting one-sixth of the city's $6 billion police budget. read more

A year ago, amid widespread demonstrations across the city over police brutality and calls to "defund the police," it might have been difficult to imagine a former police captain who advocated for more officers on the street emerging as the Democratic Party's preferred mayoral candidate.
    more at the link

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why did he come in 4th after Wiley a flaming progressive?

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yang had the most name recognition in the race.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Did he break out the whip cream again?

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

sheer racism and sexism? the voters clearly preferred black, female, and Latinx Irish-American candidates to the Asian candidate. kind of disgraceful when you think about it :cool: