1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. bmelo

bmelo Member

This. I saw too many of 'crazy athletic' guys that have no game and flop because of it. I saw too many 'not athletic' guys with game that slipped and then play great. If someone is not relying on his crazy bounce his career is much more lasting, less injury prone, major ligaments injuries don't have that much impact in returning. Too many people shat on me when I said Doncic will be basically white version of LeBron when he was being drafted because he didn't have bounce. But guess what? Them boys are big and strong with great handle... when players like that learn to take defender on his hip/ass just like Luka or CP then their lack of bounce is no factor. A little push for defender to get him off balance, jump to shoot to the opposite direction and you basically can't block it. Cade will be perennial all star and I am 100% sure of it. And he has great defensive potential too

Astrodome likes this.
  3. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Based on Ringer NBA draft comps...if it were as simple as this, who would you pick at #1? #2?

Cade Cunningham
    Ceiling: Shorter Ben Simmons with a jumper
    Floor: Super-sized SGA

Evan Mobley
    Ceiling: Chris Bosh
    Floor: Christian Wood

Jalen Suggs:
    Ceiling: Brandon Roy/Chauncey Billups
    Floor: Jamal Murray

Jalen Green:
    Ceiling: Zach Lavine/Bradley Beal
    Floor: Malik Monk

Jonathan Kuminga:
    Ceiling: Danny Granger/Luol Deng
    Floor: Jeff Green

randerson and saleem like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Floor is Christian Wood?
    Healthy, Christian is a 20-10 guy, like Bosh.

apollo33 and D-rock like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Cade at 1. I think Jalen Green has more potential than that. He should be at 2. Greater reward but with some more risk.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

if I’m going based off of these comps, I’m easily taking Cade #1

Ben Simmons would be on an entirely different tier if he had a jumper. A floor of a taller SGA? That means his floor is an All-Star caliber player. SGA in his 3rd year is averaging 24, 5, and 6 on 51/42/81 shooting splits. Shai is someone I bring up a lot when talking about Cade. Shai is a guy who plays at a methodical pace, is very skilled, and gets to wherever he wants on the court without having to be some athletic phenom since many are under the impression that elite athleticism is a requirement for greatness. Shai is reportedly 6’6 with a 7 ft wingspan while Cade is 6’8 with a 7’1 wingspan. Long arms can help u finish in the paint without having to jump around like John Wall or Westbrook.

alethios and saleem like this.
  7. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

numbers might be similar but impact isn't. chris bosh on toronto was leading them to a low playoff seed. wood can't do anything like that. the comp fits.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but to say Wood is the floor is a highly thought of prospect.
    I don’t see it

9. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

the fact that they think wood is the worse case scenario for him proves they think highly of him.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

F you ask me, I'm going Cade Cunningham #1 and Jalen Green #2.

Cade Cunningham imo is Magic Johnson with better shooting for distance.
    Magic Johnson could have scored more and attacked relentlessly, but chose to
    get teammates involved first and scorer second.. Cunningham with his size will
    force the gravity of the defense to collapse due to his great size and height and
    ability to score from all 3 levels (rim/mid-range/3-pt). With his great court vision
    and ability to pass, makes way for a high level facilitator that makes things easier
    for all those playing around him. Fits the Silas system perfectly and can guard
    small forwards/power forwards/centers without much issue. Possible All Star from
    year one. Less facilitators needed on the team, because why would you want to
    take the ball out of his hands so much when on the court.

Jalen Green imo I ingredients for Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are Zach LeVine hops
    with some Bradley Beal cold hearted ability to shoot from all 3 levels (rim/mid-range/3-pt).
    The main ingredient separating MJ/Kobe from Beal/ LeVine is that drive to be the best.
    So I see the floor Zach LeVine-Beal which all of us would take in a heartbeat. With an
    never-ending desire to compete and be the best will determine if Jalen Green enters the
    Kobe/MJ stratosphere. My guess is Green lacks that much drive to match Jordan/Kobe
    but brings the "Shot for the Moon, if I fall short, I still end up among the Stars."
    Already ahead of MJ comparing them both at age 19.....as far as shooting. Will need
    to add 15 to 20 pounds of muscle. So I'm guessing it will take about two years before
    he adds the 20 pounds, but when he does, the sky is the limit. All Star from year 3 to
    to about year 16 or 17 of his career. Kobe played 19 seasons and as an All Star 17 years.
    Green will probably fall just shy of Kobe numbers in stars and All Star appearances.

Can't go wrong with either one of them, but Cade helps immediately from day one as
    his skills translate instantly from college to Silas system. Cade is good for 20 points
    and 9 assists from day one. Ups everyone's numbers around him offensively. Edge
    Cade because, he brings everyone up to a higher level. Green is more an up stoppable
    force to come....but mainly him over team. Porter-Green will work better than
    Porter-Oladipo........for years to come.

#1210 ApacheWarrior, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Cade or Green are my choices. I can see both reaching All NBA level.

Mobley bust potential worries me. Suggs is a role player. Kuminga is at best a role player but probably a bust.

a la rockets and BossHogg713 like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Compared to the other floors, they’re saying he’s the safest pick. I don’t see it

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Based on those comps, I would rank them:

Cade
    Suggs
    Mobley
    Green
    Kuminga

Although on a given day I might flip Mobley/Green

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good points. Kuminga is a role player. He does have the upside to become a good two way combo forward. He is only 18. Any team that selects him will have to be patient.

D-rock likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

And Mobley is already a more developed and adept defender than Wood, maybe even Bosh too.

Ralph Sampson is a better comp for Mobley IMO.

18pbr, BamBam and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think you understand what the word floor means.

By your definition all these guys are borderline allstars already at their worst. Makes no sense.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I meant in the sense of their potentials. I apologize for the confusion.

18. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Cade, Green, Mobley, Suggs, Kuminga.

I do disagree with some of these comps.. I really do like The Ringer draft guides as a whole though. They're always assembled well, but some of the info is headscratching. I know The Ringer tries to avoid direct comps by going "shades of", but that concept is super nebulous and nobody really knows what they're trying to say.

I'm not sold Mobley's perimeter shooting. Barely a 70% freethrow shooter combined with his pretty mediocre 3pt shooting (attempted 1 a game, his best game was going 2/4 against UC-Irvine). There's definitely some promise, and I know shooting context is different for frontcourt players, but I think its premature to lump him with some of the best stretch bigs in recent NBA history. I do think he can develop into a shooter that can occasionally keep defenses honest.

Don't really understand the Jamal Murray comp for Suggs. Murray is a scorer-shooter with secondary playmaking skills, mediocre to average defender. Suggs is as a guard playmaker with questionable 1:1 and shooting ability, defense might be his most translatable skill right now. How are they similar?

Selling Green short. His 2 most translatable skills are attacking the basket, and shooting. The shooting was a bit of a question mark until the G-League games. Malik Monk? What the hell? Malik is athletic, but his knock is that he relies too much on jumpshots and doesn't attack the basket. Meanwhile they say Green "...invites contact and does a good job finishing through it".

Why is Kuminga, whose biggest question mark is his ability to shoot, compared to prolific jumpshooter Danny Granger?

bumbum09, Firebomb525 and D-rock like this.
  19. Caesar

Caesar Member

I changed my stance. Im really excited to welcome any one of Cade, Green, Mobley, Suggs. They're all going to be studs. Cade or Green my top 2. Thats tough. The uber athletic take over guy is always the more exciting pick, but Cade might ultimately be the better leader and winner. I kinda want to see him in Detroit as a Grant Hill 2.0. Do we truly invest in developing KPj? Would Green fit with him? Mobley and Suggs seem best fits, but excite me the least. Mobley/Wood front line looks great if KPj takes a huge leap, but a star perimeter player would be key to making the Mobley/Wood duo look even better. Suggs fits great with us and we'd increase pace and move the ball.

Now that I'm excited, as a Rockets fan, it's my duty to prepare for the worst when we drop out of the top 4 and ill play Russian Roulette and hopefully lose.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Bosh could play defense.

cmoak1982 likes this.