1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update: Oakland A's put in binding offer for Las Vegas stadium

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tinman, May 11, 2021.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#1 tinman, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
  2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just another sports franchise that will eventually have to abandon the Vegas valley when the water runs dry.

That's exactly why I left. And also the ridiculous heat. And the stupid ass transplants who were mean as hell. And the scorpions. Damn scorpions. And the 362 days a year of the same exact weather pattern. And the nudie pics on all of the cabs. And the dudes who always came to The Strip dressed like Zach Galifianakis.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Only a matter of time til Vegas gets a pro mlb team. The new baseball stadium is already in the works. As sports betting becomes more and more legalized across the globe the better it is for them. The NBA will be in Vegas at some point as well

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Yea but, what you did in Vegas....did it really stay in Vegas?o_O

Inquiring minds want know...

ilovehtownbb, boomboom and Ubiquitin like this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

This looks like really soon, considering that the As minor league team is there and that stadium for the minor league is better than the colesium

6. adoo

adoo Member

While The A’s will do better in LV, but will not be as successful as the Raiders

you can always build dome stadium, just like Az, Houston, etc.

for many Vegas residents, that’s reason to settle there

Nook likes this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

If you add money to money ball, what do you get.

Jontro, mikol13, tinman and 1 other person like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Money....balls?

Nook, mikol13 and tinman like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

... the ability to keep the players you got thru money ball ... to Run It Back :D

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

Does there really need to be a team in Oakland when there's the San Francisco Giants?

Jontro likes this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I didn't realize there was a thread about this here...I posted this earlier in the MLB thread in Other Sports section:

A's may be on the move. I really hope Oakland finds a way to keep them, because I hate when teams move (unless it's a team moving to Houston :) ).

I'm seeing lots to say Vegas would be the favorite. Is that market going to be oversaturated with pro sports teams? Smaller cities have done a nice job supporting one arena sport (with 40 or so home games per season)....if the region can draw in lots of people or if a city is a tourist draw like Las Vegas is, then seats can be filled easily as games typically are on Sunday afternoons when many are off for the weekend, and most are early enough in the day that don't interfere with getting up early the next day for work.

But baseball is a whole other animal. You're talking stadiums of roughly 40-45K capacity...81 nights a year, primarily on weekdays, with games ending late. The regional draw is fine for weekends, but most weeknights are locals who live in close proximity to the ballpark. Of course Vegas always has lots of tourists in, but not sure how big a draw a random MLB games is for visitors, unless it's their team playing against Vegas. NBA and NFL are just very different events than an MLB game, particularly for a Vegas type crowd, in my opinion. Would be crazy to see Vegas go from zero pro teams to 3 pro teams in about 5 years time.

Charlotte seems like a safe bet. Nashville could figure in. Of course, that would mean some sort of realignment (which may be coming anyway) given that having a team in either Charlotte or Nashville playing in the AL West would make very little sense.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why stop there? Does Chicago need two teams? NYC? LA?

The Bay Area region has the population. If Oakland had better facilities, they’d have better attendance. Their attendance was actually decent before the awful renovations to accommodate the Raiders.

13. MadMax

Oakland and SF are massively different...people from Oakland don't want to be labeled as being from SF...and SF definitely doesn't want you mistaking them for Oakland. There are about 8 million people in the Bay Area. They've had 2 distinct teams there for decades, and it's been fine. Oakland is a good market provided they build a ballpark...they will stay in Oakland if Oakland decides to fund a ballpark.

dmoneybangbang, Pringles and tinman like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I also mentioned in that thread... in Vegas, the convention crowd (which is also during the week) can also exceed the tourist crowd. If they had more day games during the week, I could see attendance being quite steady... despite Vegas having a plethora of activities available, there’s still not a helluva lot to do there during the day.

I agree supporting the mid-week night games, with all the other stuff going on there, would be tough to presume consistency, although they have supported minor league baseball well as well as hockey’s 30+ Night games, many being mid week.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They were originally the Philadelphia A's. Then they were Kansas City A's.

Carpetbaggers gonna carpetbag.

#15 Ottomaton, May 12, 2021
    Last edited: May 12, 2021
    tinman likes this.
  16. MadMax

Yep, agreed. I would only say that supporting minor league baseball is saying you can do about 1/4 of the attendance for an MLB crowd. Obviously MLB is a bigger draw from a more corporate base, though. Some of my concern here is that national following of baseball generally isn't like the NBA or NFL...people don't tune in without a rooting interest. If I'm spending the money to go to Vegas, I'm not sure I'm throwing down money for a night at the ballpark to see the A's play the Mariners if I'm visiting from Chicago as a Cubs fan, for instance. Idiots like me who love baseball will...but it's just a very different draw from the "scene" of an NBA or NFL event.

Also, local TV market money is a big thing for MLB clubs...Oakland has a huge advantage over any of the cities in relocation competition in that department.

Would also be interesting to see if the A's rebrand, regardless of where they go. That name has been around forever over three different cities going back to the turn of the 20th century.

I hope Oakland finds a way to keep them. I've "met" some good folks who are A's fans and Oakland natives through the magic of Twitter since the Astros got moved to the AL West. It sucks to lose a team, speaking from experience.

Nick likes this.
  17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Lots of A's fans here in the Bay Area who are also Raiders fans. They just lost that team to Vegas - would suck to lose the A's so soon, and to the same area. Imagine if Houston lost the Rockets right after the Oilers left!

But the Raiders didn't change their name, and the Raiders fans I know still root for them. My guess is the A's fans keep rooting for their team if they leave, too. Plus, that name isn't specific to Oakland and like you said has a long history. I bet they keep the same name and color scheme if they leave.

tinman, dmoneybangbang and MadMax like this.
  18. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Why would the A's want to play in the Vegas Ballpark? (10 K capacity)

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Don't say that in Oakland

but on a related note

Pringles likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

that's their minor league team ball park not the ball park Vegas would build them if they move.

Right now, the A's have the lowest attendance 5000

BossHogg713 likes this.