1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] NYC Mayoral Primary thread, was: Andrew Yang Announces Candidacy for NYC Mayor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Nothing like cumming together to make this country great again...or at least for NYC.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah people are even mad at cartoon characters like Speedy Gonzales and Pepe LePew

who are

Cartoon

characters

3. DonatelloLimestone

NY politicians are special breed

These were good interviewers, giving credit where credit is due, calling out nuissance rather than gross oversimplification of binary sides. I like a lot of yang, this was disappointing typical political speak. he seems willing to see most things with an independent lens

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not bullshit it would be like if he kept naming the people on his staff and pointing out who was black for no reason.

It was very tone deaf.

5. DonatelloLimestone

Whhat I really liked about Yang was his sense of independent thought. He wasn't all left or all right, seemed pragmatic and practical, but this was just straight typical pandering for a complicated situatioin.

The situation is terrible there, there is good criticism to go all around and many politicians taking advantage of it. But I don't get how in the US many states have made it illegal for the BDS movement, for the right of a peaceful non violent protest as mentioned in the video above, its an odd thing to see in the united states.

Just like with trump's social media ban. If you want to charge him with inciting violence, go thorugh the judicial system in america and then it may have more of a case, but to rely on and give power to a private company over public discourse is a slippery anti free speech slope, no doubt now those same people are censoring videos from the palestine situation too...no doubt that they are boycotting videos of Modi in India that make him look terrible, no doubt they pander to China's control over there media too. Slap stick reacitons never quit workout. Don't let the twitter warriors guide you.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

lmao y-i-k-e-s.
    I like Kyle Kulinski a lot. As far as weighing in on Israel/Palestine, there is just nothing to be gained from taking chances or trying to innovate in that space. Yang punted on this in the Presidential race and I'm not surprised he (or anyone) would do that here either.

#106 DonnyMost, May 11, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Andre0087 likes this.
  7. DonatelloLimestone

Yea, I get what you mean. Its sad in 'free speech' america we can't just give a reasonable approach taking a hard look at it without pandering to donors and allies etc.

That said, he didn't punt. He came full force for one side, even before hand in 2019 blantantly said he is against the bds movement, which many states have passed as illegal. It is a bit odd in America iwth all our rights, if some people decide they will peacefully and non violently protest, as did in South Africa(which at first The USA called nelson mendala a terrorist and had him on the terrorist list), you can be charged for simply saying you don't like their policy of expansion and won't support the businesses in the sttlement or disputed areas...how this is cheered on even if you agree or disagree, but makign it an actual chargeable law in the united states of america is a bit confusing. Like i said, not about which said people believe in, but the actual law cheered on here to make that illegal to peacefully organize and voice. Free speech is important for those we agree with and those we don't. we don't want a monolith america

8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If I worried about things like this I wouldn’t have a job at the plant...I am very tone deaf on certain things but this job feeds my family.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh maybe certain people wanted Ying but he’s said no
    I’m Yang
    I’m dropping my real take.
    People will hate him.

He’s not the Yang people want
    But it’s the Yang people deserve

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

No a private company being able to ban someone from their platform is the invisible hand. Conservatives used to jerk off to that hand, now they cry themselves to sleep and post about hunter biden. @J.R. @Os Trigonum

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. DonatelloLimestone

Well they do have that power and that responsibility. Its a nuanced thing, because the social media is at its infancy. We don't treat it like normal media but now its become a ubiquitous accepted place for public discourse that complicates itncludig where many public officials give their news. That changes many things. It was riled up here because of trump, but there were reasons people who don't think much of trump like the putin rival Nevalny, PM Merkel from germany all came out and felt there was another direction to go. Now futher more, we are seeign criticism of a Modi government being silenced. We are seeing some of the current situation and videos nad news in palestine being silenced. We are commonly seeing dissenters in hina be silent. This is many times by a huge american company

And this isnt' a trible conservative liberal thing. Thats politics, thats the news to create some dumb sports teams. Hunter biden isn't a winning argument. Its totally fair to not be comfortable with someoen using a name and who was a registered lobbyist to make money where his sole purpose and role was to be a 'biden', have contacts related to that. Not doing so create the tribe and then youre 'other side' disregard the trump kids recieving Chinese patents, Jared Kushner getting a huge personel bail out from his business failing while being so unchecked in so many roles where was not elected to do so, furthermore the FBI building accross trump hotel which was set to have a new campus built out of the city and this would be auctioned off by the government which would create competition for Trump hotel which is a government building similarly auctioned on a 99 year lease. Tax payer owned. There are fingers to point everywhere and we should call out anyone who abuses or even toes the line when it comes to powers and responsibilities entrusted and priveleged to them by the people. That goes for judges, cops, teachers, land commissioners, and especially politicians the suits who make the policies.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He’s been a generally reasonable and decent centrist, and yet he wants to turn this complicated conflict into a good vs evil thing where Israel deserves our unconditional support. Disappointing from someone who I had high hopes for as a presidential candidate.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

No politician is fixing the Middle East, much less a mayor in New York.

A bit disappointed so far how he's handled this race though. He got booed off some candle lighting too. I think his policies would be outstanding, but he doesn't know how to carry himself.

dmoneybangbang, tinman and jiggyfly like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't know if you should be taking a side on this.

[​IMG]

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yang is just not ready for prime time

I have never seen somebody make so much headway promoting a single idea.

He has come up short on everything thing else IMO.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

odd take considering his behavior (not a traditional robotic career politico) is like the #1 reason voters give for supporting him

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Exactly

He can favor the Palestinians but that does nothing to fix the many problems New York has.

I mean this dude was a Jeremy Lin fan, the city isn't hiring him to be the GM of the Knicks.
    Then he would not get any votes.

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

related:

“If you believe in democracy, freedom of speech, human rights, women’s rights, LGBTQ rights and especially if you’re a liberal and a progressive, and you’re not supporting Israel within the context of the Middle East, you’re an idiot.”​

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member