1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Petition to put Bill’s name in the rafters where it belongs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmoney1101, May 11, 2021.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

gotsis, RudyTBag, Tommyboy and 12 others like this.
  2. photojoe

photojoe Member

Personally, I completely disagree.

I like Bill Worrell, grew up watching him and to me, his calling the game is just part of the Rockets experience.
    With that said, I think that retiring names in the rafters should be reserved for players. If you want to do something for someone else in the organization, figure out another way to do that in the stadium. I don't really like that we have "CD - Dawson" up there retired next to the Rockets' players greats.

Jontro, ashleyem, AXG and 2 others like this.
  3. tmoney1101

For the most part I agree but Bill has 4 decades with the organization in a very personal role to the fans. I actually know CD personally (or did, my aunt was married to him in the 90’s) and I still think he deserves to be up there more than CD. Other than Bill I can’t think of another non player member of the org that deserves it. Bill is the only guy.

CVcrew, RudyTBag, fattz and 7 others like this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Please if you can take a few seconds to sign this petition that @tmoney1101 linked above and that I've quoted. It's free and you can post it to facebook or twitter to make sure it's spread.

The link is in this post too if you need it:
    http://chng.it/RnqysbxkHx

tmoney1101 and deb4rockets like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Signed it.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yes.
    I actually like having non players up there. The players aren’t the only ones who gave me great memories. Hakeem is the greatest Rocket of all time hands down. Lots of great players have come through here.

But bill has been a staple and a part of the organization longer than any of them. When I go to Toyota center I’d like to see his name up there to remember the good times he provided and was a part of. He deserves it.

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I prefer the press table being permanently named the Worrell and Murphy booth

ashleyem likes this.
  8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

There are so many players that are much more deserving than Bill of a jersey retirement.

Jontro likes this.
  9. tmoney1101

Apples and oranges.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. JW86

JW86 Member

Damn straight and Tilman has been around long enough to know, but I think we’ll see his own name or Landry’s up there before we see Worrell.

11. Nook

Nook Member

What I CAN tell you is that if there is a Houston poon slayer Hall of Fame, Bill Worrell would be a first ballot selection. Bill is famous for his escapades and the longevity of his game. The only other guy I can think of in Houston that could beat Worrell is Bob Allen...

Calvin had the rats but Worrell the quality AND quantity.

I love Worrell, he has always been approachable and would sit at the Astros chicken buffet table and tell me wonderful and salacious stories... but Geno is the best Rockets announcer ever... Worrell told me stories of Allen and Geno butting heads when they were young and in the Houston market.

tmoney1101, gotsis, topfive and 2 others like this.
  12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Bill has put in 40 years into the Rockets organization. There CERTAINLY should be some recognition for that. Those that think 40 years of exemplary service is somehow not worthy are nuts.

RudyTBag and dc rock like this.
  13. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Put Worrell and take off Dawson please.