1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gery Woelfel says Stephen Silas among coaches on hot seat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, May 6, 2021.

1. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

He needs another season.

2. DonatelloLimestone

How many coaches in the league could coach this squad, injuries, drama and changeover and all that much better. Its been a terrible year, but we have one of the worst culminative rosters in the league let alone with injuries, many of our players are solid, but also borderline on the Gleague for many teams in the league as well. Let alone how young we are. I think most of us agree Silas deserves and to the fact of how cheap the owner is will get another year. Next year will be a much better judge of what we have with him with a training camp and a more normal approach too.

One silver lining is his player development. Christian wood is emerging, had his best year ever, KPJ had his best year ever. Tate is undrafted, now any team in the league could use him, KMJ is a late 2nd rounder(That tillman 'paid 5 million for lol), but hes overachieving that standard. KElly o has played the best in his career at 30 under silas. Maybe he is able to find these roles for them, we need more talent, more experience. and with the last paragraph, if we hit our number 4. I feel good about silas captaining the development

That said we need to continue to invest in our infrastructure, our player development, our facilities. All these things that don't always make headlines for casuals but the big franchises are putting big money on this on the margins and it will not only squeeze the best out of our talent it will bring about a culture that will attract more talent, staff, coaching. Sixers have revamped their training facility and even have a restaurant style food place. Not a big deal? How does that affect comradarie when all the players come eat together, when players stay in house to train because they know their facilities are the nicest, when you can provide the best quality food for athletes where margins make the difference in wins. Spurs have been providing food and dietician from a guy from UT for years.

Miami has one of the most intricate training philosophies and players go there to get in their best shape. Balmer has expanded trainign staff, investing in all sorts of recovery gadgets. THe revenue of the nba is growing, all the new owners are billionaires only and no one is getting a budget nba team like the 90s. WArriors owners worth far less than the rockets, but they spend like crazy, like tesla they don't focus on immediate profits and are investing in the culture, the branding, and long term strategy knowing this is a legacy piece, a showcase piece. I hope tillman learns from all this, I hope he is capable of learning from all this in terms of his finances. The bar of professionalism in the nba is raising.

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Does Silas still want to coach a teamed owned by Tillman and ran by his son? If so we'll take anyone that can stand those two. No way I would assess Silas's ability to coach from this season. Get a roster worth a damn and we'll see. Sorry KPJ is not a star yet and neither is WOOD. Let's see where we are at in maybe 1 or 2 years before we make any harsh decisions. Hornacek though has to go.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

No reason to fire Silas until we have some talent to actually compete.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Hopefully a Top 4 Pick and a Mid First Rounder can boost the the Team in Wins.

Being around .500 or Better is a success for next year. But in the West, it is double tough compared to the East . 500 means a 6th seed in the East.

In the West 14th Pick Again.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Stephen Silas deserves a Huge Pass for this year. Players Respect him which is huge. Young Players want to learn from Stephen Silas. Stephen knows certain drills to run, to improve the players dribbling, shooting.

JaeSean Tate mechanical 3 pointer is gone, now it looks it has more finesse and a soft touch, spin on his 3 pointers.

Stephen and John Lucas worked on JaeSean which shows. JaeSean is making some tough corner to 3s.

randerson and xiki like this.
  7. sydmill

sydmill Member

It would be shocking, for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread, for Silas to be shown the door. One thing that I think has to be considered is that all of the folks that this board put on a pedestal in the Patrick as CEO thread (DM, Tad Brown, Les Alexander) almost hired Silas instead of MDA in 2016. So this is a guy that different regimes liked and who has been on the staff of several prominent coaches/organizations. He deserves a real chance and I think it is almost assuredly going to happen.

xiki likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I was expecting a Luka Doncic type of offense and was let down .. until I remembered that having a Luka Doncic type player usually makes bad coaches look good.

Whats Rick Adelman doing these days? He might be able to do more with this team - bring back the Princeton offense with Mr Magoo!!

(J/J for all the wound up blue bloods)

9. chadyang

chadyang Member

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

yes our team is trash but honestly we had a lot of talent (albeit unproven and no chemistry) but that falls on the coach ultimately. i would have liked to see him actually develop our players a bit more but it seems our gameplan has not changed one instance throughout the season. it's just chuck up 3s.

case in point, if you wanted to develop Wood for instance, you would have set plays around him to help him grow and feature him more. not saying we should do that but it's just an example of how a coach can "develop" players.

and those saying we want to be mediocre are being disingenuous. we can still be trash but have players being groomed for the future. i don't really see that much progress from our young guys from day 1 to now tbh. tate was a baller when he stepped on the floor. KJ martin Jr has not shown any growth other than just receiving playtime (his footwork is horrendous). Porter JR has been the same. Wood averaged 20-10 at the start still averages 20-10. All the other role players got cut immediately.

I'm willing to give Silas another year as I don't like bouncing head coaches immediately but there are some red flags to me.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Broke ass ferntits should hire someone from clutch to coach for $15.00 an hour. Greatest promotion ever.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It seems we have this conversation about Woelfel a lot. In my experience reading his stuff, he says a lot of things that aren't exactly true. He's been wrong a lot.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. Damion Laverne

Hard to get rid of him after one season considering that Tilman probably won't be willing to pony up for a good coach.

Besides, it's really hard to evaluate Silas' coaching ability with all the turmoil this year (and the lack of talent).

It's hard to be considered a good coach when you don't have the talent.

Does he have his warts? Yes. Get rid of him? Not yet.

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Wood's numbers are up this year, he is developing. Did you see Tate, Martin Jr, Porter Jr, all those guys have gotten better over this season. They are all "developing" under Silas. It's up to those players to work on their development in the off-season, its not the coach's job to do that during the season. Practice time was very limited this year as well, so we had A LOT of things working against us, but I still see the young guys looking better.

16. rockets13champs

I’d give silas another chance. Totally unfair to fire him. He deserves atleast 1 more season with a summer league and everything to see how much this team grows

xiki likes this.
  17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You just posted a whole lot of words with literally no substance or evidence.

Reeko likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I mean...there's only one question you need to ask if you want to determine if this rumor is true or not:

Is Tilman Feritta willing to pay TWO head coaching salaries at the same time?

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Are you kidding me?

20. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yea Popovivh or Phil Jackson etc cd have maybe got 4 more wins so we Ed not need to worry about a lottery pick