1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Tillmans son to be new CEO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 4, 2021.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Some of y’all really don’t understand what the CEO does. Tad Brown took care of the Rockets business off the court. Partnerships, ticket sales, food contracts.

you guys seem to think he was head of basketball operations.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, I’m suggesting he’ll be too busy to make all the bball-operations meetings like he is now.

What are your fears wrt how much revenue Tilman generates from year-round stadium operations and expansion to China. I mean, thats in his wheelhouse.

you guys ,,, lulz

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

nothing like replacing narcissistic dysfunction with entitled nepotism....

smh...

this franchise is pretty much over... oh well, it was a decent run...

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

Didn't Jim Crane replace Nolan Ryan's kid with his own son as the Astros CEO? Where was the outrage then?

Nepotism is a part of life folks. It always has been. There have been examples of it being good and bad.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. foh

foh Member

Per this story on houston chronicle it sounds like both Tad Brown and the Patrick kid were very intimately involved in draft night decisions. CEO seems to be a part of the organization's brain trust, so let's not completely diminish the significance of the role maybe? Can you perhaps prove to us that the CEO has no influence on the personal decision? I'm honestly curious about it. Others might breath a sign of relief too thanks to you

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

I mean of course, the CEO of Rockets business will be involved with the team but not in a personal type of way. It probably has to do with marketing and sponsorship reasons. Tad Brown never pushed the Rockets to get a particular player unless you think he's responsible for Morey signing Jeremy Lin lol.

7. foh

foh Member

Per article, they are running the team as a family business with Patrick having direct line to the source of the power (his father, who is pretty busy) and he will now, supposedly, have an official status and only Stone to contend with. To me it sounds like before long he'll be the one with the most power in the organization and thus making all the important decisions.

The article mentioned draft night and luxury tax decisions that Patrick was a part of even without having an official status.

Hope he is better than Jim Buss. (was he the one who hired Lin to Lakers?)

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  8. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Maybe Jr is a good thing and he’ll encourage treating the Rockets like it’s NBA 2k

BossHogg713 and YOLO like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

I didn’t think of it like that. Pretty much an upgrade from treating the Rockets like Saltgrass. Maybe by 2030 they can strive towards the NY Knicks. Baby steps! Ahead of the curve!

HP3, BossHogg713 and whiskeyred like this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey man you got some likes, so someone is enjoying it! Keep on keeping on!

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I hear you and others. I am not defending the move. I mentioned about Morey because he had no experience in basketball and no experience in a GM job. He was a stats guy helping his boss evaluate talents. He was basically a Hinkie with a degree from MIT. Nobody really knew how he well he would do as a GM negotiating deals and whatnot, and the skepticism at his hiring was understandable.

We know very little about Patrick Fertitta. I was snickering about the alleged possibility of hiring him as CEO, UNTIL Clutch posted that he had heard nothing other than great things about the kid. So that's something we know now, not very much, but something.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

He had prior front office experience though. He worked for the Celtics before he got to the Rockets.

#372 HP3, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    BallSoHarden and tycoonchip like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

14. HP3

HP3 Member

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I see you're invoking the history lesson found in the nepotism of King Phillip II of Macedon who passed his rule to little ole Alexander and who did little ole Alex become? Alexander the Great! Conquerer of more land than any other human ever!

[​IMG]

I'm guessing very few of you are going to have the desire to call him Patrick the Great?

malakas and eman like this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

sure... i guess there can be examples of nepotism working out... but by and large if someone is getting a job because of nepotism - then its highly unlikely that the position is going to the person best suited for the job - so you're already starting from a disadvantage...

Are you really making the contention that hiring relatives to high level positions is the best course of business?

idk about the 'stros - i dont follow baseball...

17. DonatelloLimestone

"He cited not just Morey or Rockets owner Leslie Alexander, but he described Rockets president Tad Brown as "kind of a father."
    "
    "He helps me get through every single day with struggles that I have," Harden said. "Any questions about anything, he's there for me.

"It's more than I ever could have ever imagined - the city, the fans, my teammates, these guys right here - Mr. Alexander, Tad, Daryl, even Rafael (Stone, the Rockets' general counsel) in the back. There's constant communication. I talk to these people more than my mom, more than my family and friends. It's a family. I'm not exaggerating.

"I think it's definitely unique. I know how special it is to feel welcome, to feel loved.""

"I don't want to go anywhere. I don't want to deal with free agency. I know where home is. I know where I want to be. I know where I want to retire ultimately. And I know where I want to win a championship. Everything is going to happen in Houston."

Harden spoke of the way he had been entrusted to help build the team around him, a partnership Rockets general manager Daryl Morey described as "the modern way" to empower a franchise star and improve a roster. The relationship, however, had grown deeper than a way to influence free agents to join him.

"https://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/James-Harden-wants-to-retire-a-Rocket-11291251.php

But don't worry guys, he can relate to these guys:

"If I can be more parallel because I am the same age, "

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...ther-Fertitta-behind-the-Rockets-14058856.php

Once again, this is more about the culmination of a **** show ownership from Tilman that has taken a respectable franchise with respected talent and managers/staffs into the bottom of the barrell, literally last place team we are today. I simply can't put it on a rookie GM, rookie coach, and yes the 25 year old kid empowered by his pop. All the moves, all the BS in the media all points to one dude:

[​IMG]

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, but Alexander’s tutor was Aristotle. :)

malakas, don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  19. DonatelloLimestone

I get the logic, it makes sense. But Tad brown had a personal relationship with the team, James harden called him a father figure. One way or another, the business side is marketed on stars/players in the nba and they all intertwind and its great to have cohesion. Tad cited all the guys who left as people he loved who are gone, Daryl has raved about working with MDA, Harden, Brown, Harden had cited the last 3 as people who made him feel at home. Like dominos they all left, and PAtrick himself said something he can offer is that hes closer to the players age so he can relate to them more....

And otherwise, it seems a lot of the argument here comes down to "quite complaining we don't make a difference" "or he was going to have power anyways, what good is complaining"

In that note, shouldn't we just not have clutchfans, or only have a clutchfans that is only positive and allowed to kiss the owners ass, give him more money(lets give the tip jar for a new starter yactch for one of the children), and create positive news or else we arent 'loyal' true fans? This is a message board bro, Fans pay in money, time, attention and we get nothing material back in our return. this is not like any other market in capitalism, we have an emotional allegiance, a geographical connection, a strong loyal point to the idea of the Rockets and thats beyond Les, Tilman, Daryl, HArden, everyone outside of Hakeem, dear leader who embodies the rockets and should get a dream shake etched on the court just like Cuban did for Dirk.. In any case, this is all we got. Lets consolidate on here, use tech to be smarter in our protest, lets organize some chants at the game, put in a tip jar to put up a billboard....Knicks fans do all of this after years of being abused and told to shut up, some posters here would say hey dolans the owner, you can't do anything, just shut up and cheer or leave.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will 50 be there to see him score 50?