1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Tillmans son to be new CEO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 4, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Rockets are trying to be WWE with the McMahons owning the Franchise.

Stephanie McMahon and Shane McMahon.

Stephanie is hardworking but Shane McMahon hogging the Wrestlemania Spot from other hardworking wrestlers.

Triple H winning All 14 Championships since dating, now married to Stephanie McMahon.

Before Hunter Hearst Helmsley Never won a Heavy Weight Championship, Only Middleweight Championship.

The Rockets are going this route, next up Fertitta Sisters and Grandkids.

Jontro likes this.
  2. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

To my knowledge, I haven't seen any confirmed reports about him - positive or negative. The only thing that is definitely true is that he occupies his current job because he's the owner's son. I think it's natural to assume he has no place in the organization because of how he got the job and the fact he is young, but that has nothing to do with his actual performance. He could be terrible or great.

There are also potential family politics at play, which I couldn't even guess about. He may be an official candidate, or showed up on a brainstorming list, when there is no real opportunity.

My guess at the most likely scenario is that he's a reasonably smart guy since we haven't heard any confirmed stories that made him look dumb. I'm sure people would be ready and willing to pounce on one of those. He's young and he probably doesn't know basketball very well, so all the shadowing is probably an education for him with the assumption he might do more in the future. However, unless he is a prodigy, he can't take on more responsibility at this time. Tilman has him in the front office because he can get the inside (and unfiltered) story on daily activities.

RedIsen and steddinotayto like this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Stone traded and acquired Picks and Talent. When the roster was old, broken, rehabbing team.

Now it has a excellent direction on a proper youth movement.

The rebuild should've started mid 2018 when Chris Paul was limping around.
    That Chris Paul Contract was the biggest mistake. Coming off a Hamstring injury, that looked Career ending.
    The Ownership would've gotten heat not to resign Chris Paul. Chris way overpriced himself. Now stuck with John Wall now.
    Wish we can release Wall.

4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Let me guess, he hires a bunch of scantily clad types to party in his office and does no real work. Sounds about right.

D-rock likes this.
  5. DonatelloLimestone

Are you kidding me? Injuries happen yearly, I get there wasn't optimism on paul. But one year to run it back wouldn't have been a bad idea, very rarely do teams get one game from the nba finals. The whole league was moving aside for the 'great' warriors, We went at em and we gave em heat. We were there, game 7 we didn't have paul.
    Then that very summer we had MLE, didn't use it, TPE of 10 million plus, didn't use it, bird rights to either resign, resign and trade, and we ignored it. We signed James ennis to replace ARiza, then traded him in Feb while he was playing for...top 55 2nd rounder, we also cut Daniel house also in MDA's short rotation for 2 months because it wasn't cap friendly. We fielded worse team, but not any headliners. YEar in and out, role players help cohesion make vital plays, and the margins of winning in the playoffs are very, very small

"
    Former Houston Rockets guard Chris Paul was on the Knuckleheads podcast with Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson and explained the impact of the Rockets losing Ariza.

“People don’t realize, that’s the biggest thing that we missed. That was tough when we lost [Ariza] because he sorta was like the glue. He was that glue for our team.”
    "

And chris paul is still worth his contract. You can't run this like some restsurant , the revenue in nba is growing astronomically, the par to compete and win is growing. Raptors Paid marc gasol at 34,35 not worth 50 million, but they took a shot, no guarantee, the bounce went their way in the playoffs and they got a chip. Cleveland paid love, tristan, jr none of them were worth it, but they got a chip. When you're contending in this league, you dont have the leverage, tis spend mode.

IF you want a budget team, you'll get the pacers in prepetual mediocrity and you also won't get 1A talent for the same reason Lebron left cleveland, Kobe demanded help, as did MJ. IT takes a team, it takes a culture, it takes a lot of hands on deck to make it happen. Chris Paul was getting that contrat with us or with someone else bc he is a max talent let alone now he has helped turn around two franchises while there, his worth is even more than stats. watering down the quality and depth of our team, of our staff is what killed us and that onus falls on Tilman

Honestly, just like Buss or whoever, nothing wrong with your kids being a part of your business, but at 25 to be the head and more importantly after 3 years of the owner lying to our faces every chance he gets is the culmination of frustration of houston fans of how a great city/franchise has turned to the absolute bottom of the league and laughing stock of the league.

Its a new start, we got some young new pieces, hopefully we do the right things this time around. Go rockets

DVauthrin, gotsis, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

3rd rate organization

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

this is great news! patrick is the future. he is now cultural learnings of htine for make benefit glorious team of rockets.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You mean we're not there already!?

D-rock and homewight like this.
  9. WestendMassive

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Nope, not a big deal at all. The leagues do not allow public ownership of franchises (GB was grandfathered in 40 years ago), but other than that, I can't see any other problems convincing the owners to sell their toys.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

We need another plague to force a team sale.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Jeannie Buss did a playboy spread

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

And looked pretty damn good too!

14. sydmill

sydmill Member

I didn't know about the public ownership prohibition. Otherwise, you don't think that if TF was approached with a $2.2B offer to sell to the fans he wouldn't have to think long and hard about that? He could keep his court side seats or luxury suite for being a steward of the team or for some other justification. I think that's a PR nightmare to turn down. But maybe he doesn't care? What do I know?

15. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Ahh. My bad.

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This. As much as I and many others have joked about Patrick's ascension within the front office, he might be a very bright guy. That being said, NOTHING he's done so far can prepare him to be a CEO of a professional sports team at the age of, what, 26-27? People could draw comparisons to young wunderkinds and their ability to lead tech start ups at that age but this is a whole different ballgame (pun intended). If Patty shadowed/mentored under Tad Brown over the past 3 years he probably learned a great bit but that doesn't necessarily translate to actual experience.

HP3 likes this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's wild because they were, at the very least, a top 5 organization only 3 years ago. Tilman has killed this thing so fast.

18. DonatelloLimestone

Fertitta wrote: “That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard.” He says he regularly turns down offers of $1 billion for 50% of the Rockets,
    "His passion for sole ownership of his businesses is a direct contrast to the ownership groups that typically buys pro sports teams now. Fertitta’s authority and wealth are akin to a Steve Ballmer or Mark Cuban, but he is determined to stand apart from those two both in personality and practice."

so sounds like he can get an offer, our only hope is if an nfl teams goes for sale, :

Which is why he won’t rule out the NFL, even if he did just spend two billion dollars on an NBA franchise.

“There’s all sorts of things you can do. I’m a financial engineer. Every year that goes by it gets easier for me. If a team like the Saints or Titans came up, I would try to do something.

“I love the Rockets. I love the NBA. But the NFL is the NFL.”

HP3 likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

so Patrick is going to marry Silver's dausghter and get us a championship?

WestendMassive and jiggyfly like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow I thought this was in jest but you really are trying to spin this as a good thing.

And if we become the Orlando Magic what then?

Are you gonna bump this thread?

We might not have won a dam thing in 26 years but at least we have been relevant, I mean the Bucks, the Sixers and the Clippers should just turn the franchise over to the owners son as well because they have not won anything ever or for 40 years.

Are you Patrick?

HP3 likes this.