1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the democratic party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 27, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not really a Rahm fan but he is totally right on this.

Well not totally right I don't want anybody doing it like the Republicans.

And the sad part is a lot of people are riling things up among progressives for profile and monetary gain.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this belongs in the 'state of the Democratic party' thread also :D

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Oh I didn't know I was supposed to be outraged about that also.

The words out of the mouths of people speaking at CPAC is enough to dismiss them as loons.

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"A Vexing Question for Democrats: What Drives Latino Men to Republicans?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/us/politics/latino-voters-democrats.html

excerpt:

Erik Ortiz, a 41-year-old hip-hop music producer in Florida, grew up poor in the South Bronx, and spent much of his time as a young adult trying to establish himself financially. Now he considers himself rich. And he believes shaking off the politics of his youth had something to do with it.

“Everybody was a liberal Democrat — in my neighborhood, in the Bronx, in the local government,” said Mr. Ortiz, whose family is Black and from Puerto Rico. “The welfare state was bad for our people — the state became the father in the Black and brown household and that was a bad, bad mistake.” Mr. Ortiz became a Republican, drawn to messages of individual responsibility and lower taxes. To him, generations of poor people have stayed loyal to a Democratic Party that has failed to transform their lives.

“Why would I want to be stuck in that mentality?” he said.

While Democrats won the vast majority of Hispanic voters in the 2020 presidential race, the results also showed Republicans making inroads with this demographic, the largest nonwhite voting group — and particularly among Latino men. According to exit polls, 36 percent of Latino men voted for Donald J. Trump in 2020, up from 32 percent in 2016. These voters also helped Republicans win several House seats in racially diverse districts that Democrats thought were winnable, particularly in Texas and Florida. Both parties see winning more Hispanic votes as critical in future elections.

Yet a question still lingers from the most recent one, especially for Democrats who have long believed they had a major edge: What is driving the political views of Latino men?
    more at the link

6. TheresTheDagger

This is why Trump became the figurehead he's become.

To those folks who support him, he's the ONLY figure on the right in a generation who actually pushes back. I'm not stating this is necessarily correct or proper...merely noting the reason behind his popularity. Beyond Trump, most of the leadership on the right is considered weak and ineffective by the electorate and infuriates them.

Nook likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

She didn’t really say anything earth shattering here

Amiga likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know -- it's like, "oh whew, they didn't intentionally dance around and spew disturbing anti-reality on a huge Nazi glyph. They just danced around and spewed disturbing anti-reality on something that was accidentally a huge Nazi glyph." :D

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Dem pollsters acknowledge ‘major errors’ in 2020 polling":

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/13/dems-polling-failure-481044

excerpt:

A group of top Democratic Party pollsters are set to release a public statement Tuesday acknowledging “major errors” in their 2020 polling — errors that left party officials stunned by election results that failed to come close to expectations in November.

In an unusual move, five of the party’s biggest polling firms have spent the past few months working together to explore what went wrong last year and how it can be fixed. It’s part of an effort to understand why — despite data showing Joe Biden well ahead of former President Donald Trump, and Democrats poised to increase their House majority — the party won the presidency, the Senate and House by extremely narrow margins.

“Twenty-twenty was an ‘Oh, s---' moment for all of us,” said one pollster involved in the effort, who was granted anonymity to discuss the process candidly. “And I think that we all kinda quickly came to the point that we need to set our egos aside. We need to get this right."

That’s about where the answers end. The collaboration’s first public statement acknowledges that their industry “saw major errors and failed to live up to our own expectations.” But the memo also underscores the limits of the polling autopsy, noting that “no consensus on a solution has emerged.”

According to Democrats involved with the internal review, Tuesday’s statement marks the beginning of a years-long process to examine why, since 2012, most major elections have tilted against the party, despite favorable polling data before the vote. Up and down the ballot, Democrats have been, more often than not, shell-shocked by defeats in races they thought to be competitive, or narrower-than-expected, victories in contests they thought they led comfortably.
    more at the link

Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

refreshing take from anyone in any part of politics!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Probably see that line again in another 2-4 years...

No party leader was held accountable for their failures. All I see are the same old rich folk running the helm like they did 10 years ago.

"For some unforeseen reason, trust in institutions are still declining. Will need more research and funding from leadership to get to the bottom of this."

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The majority of Americans support a public option

Lets get it

14. Buck Turgidson

I've never told anyone to "fall in line".

Ohhhkay then. Thanks for the talk, and go **** yourself.

15. fchowd0311

?

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

17. fchowd0311

dobro1229 likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

19. fchowd0311

I think America has a giant narcissism problem where people feel threatened when someone sounds more intellegent than them and therefore feel as if someone who sounds like them with their range of vocabulary should lead them.

For me, I want someone far more intellegent than me writing laws and running the government. But I'm assuming narcissists don't.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Self-Hatred?