1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

What does Woke mean to you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 3, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why yes, it's a typical correlation between people who gaslight with claims of racism for pointing out systemic racism in this country and being MAGA or at the very least right wing.

I know plenty of right wing people who don't like the GOP because they think they aren't extreme enough just like I know people who don't like the Democrat party from the left because they think they serve corporations.

Your rhetoric is definitely extremist. You keep on calling people racist just because they point out systemic racism in this country that caused socioeconomic divide.

Notice how you don't call posters racist when they only point out incidents of Asian hate crimes when it's a Black Individual doing it to create a narrative that Black people hate Asians. Where are those concern posts from you calling them out?

Rashmon likes this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The data would suggest you would be in the super small majority if you truly are not a Trumper but held those beliefs. The polling data shows that those views you expressed are distinctly present in Trump supporting white people.

So if you are going to sit here and tell us you are some special type of independent nuanced voter, then tell me something to convince me otherwise. Tell me something that made you not vote for Trump or a Republican in the recent past, and what made you vote for a Democrat or independent where your white grievances were outweighed by some other major issue.

Otherwise I'm going to just say that the data says you are full of Sh$t.

Also nothing says you are a right wing Trumper more than you thinking that sh$t talking CNN is some sort of sentiment that'll hook any Liberal into some defense position. You really truly only get that rhetorical ammunition if you are DEEP into Trumpland. Some liberal people watch CNN a little here and there, but even those who watch it think it's garbage for the most part, and working AGAINST a progressive agenda. The Right wing targets CNN mostly because it's known to target lower information and independent Americans. Trump's propaganda machine doesn't go after MSNBC or the Daily Kos, or other more liberal outlets because they believe those voters are already locked into the left. They go after CNN because they think there are voters there that ARE NOT already liberal.

So you going after CNN to someone like me make no sense, and is a tell that yeah... you're deep in Trumplandia.

#102 dobro1229, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
    FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

related

"PEOPLE GETTING FIRED FOR REFERRING TO THE N-WORD - ACTIVISM OR PERFORMANCE ART?":

https://johnmcwhorter.substack.com/p/people-getting-fired-for-referring

excerpts:

. . . We are getting to a point where a generation of Elect people will be unable to even sit through a classic witfest like the film Blazing Saddles, their religion rendering them unable to process that the use of the N-word by vicious, stupid, silly characters was written as a way of decrying racism rather than fostering it.

Actually, I would not be surprised if we are already at that point, given things one sees and hears these days. True to form, in the fall of 2020 at Bard College, freshmen began a campaign of shaming against a professor who read out not the word ****** but Negroin a discussion of Martin Luther King’s Letter From a Birmingham Jail. The new idea is that even that word is profane, in being an outdated one black people no longer consider appropriate. The pretended inability to distinguish between the abusive and the antique is an indication that 2020 had been a Sunday School in Electism for these kids. They are showing that they have learned their lesson in suspending basic intelligence in favor of virtue signaling, in the face of something that would not matter a whit to most black people themselves.

Many ask why black people give whites the power to harm us so easily with this word. I for one have never and never will see it as a badge of strength to announce to white America that uttering a sequence of sounds will send me into therapy. I’d be embarrassed if it did, and that is what I call Black Power.

But I know I am missing the point. This performative transformation of the N-word into a taboo term affords a kind of power: black Elects get a way of getting back at whites by destroying their careers; white Elects spectating get to show they aren’t racists by cheering on the witch-hunting. To these people all of this feels healthy, active, restoring, noble.

But the problem is that while it may feel that way to them, to the rest of us – among whom are legions of thoroughly reasonable, intelligent, concerned, and sensitive persons of all races – this new take on the N-word looks paranoid, fake, and mean.

What kind of antiracism is that?
    more at the link

durvasa likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Exactly attacking someone because they think they love CNN says something about the media consumption they receive which is going to be right wing.

These people think we have some attachment to CNN where we knee jerk defend them and that narrative only comes from right wing sources.

dobro1229 likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also.... I'm a middle aged normal white guy. If anyone was going to be discriminated against in this MAGA alternate reality it would definitely be me. So far I have ALOT to be thankful and grateful for, and am fortunate to grow up in an America that created the greatest middle class ever after the policies and infrastructure was setup after WW2 and how morally we fought on the right side of history during that era as well. We didn't always do everything perfect from that point on (hello Vietnam) but the country I grew up in had some moral clarity, a love of Democracy, and opportunity for all white people to have a good job & social structure, and saw some progress with civil rights even though it was not nearly far enough... it was progress.

I also recognize that while the previous generations that brought me and my up in America since then where awarded opportunities that black, and brown people have not had.

All I want is an equitable opportunity for everyone to have the same chances to succeed that my grandfathers and fathers had before me that led to the privilege's and opportunities in front of us.

If that makes me "WOKE" so be it.

#105 dobro1229, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Another trash post. Im not right wing. Try to keep up.

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

very long trash post. Sorry I don’t fit into your box. Im sure many dont. Just more stereotyping. Its rampant here.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've never actually heard anyone say the word in real life.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not sure how that is even possible, unless you just mean in reference to a black person.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just can't help looking for attention.

I actually agree with a lot of what he says but since you post so much BS you can't start an actual thread that will spark actual discussion you have to stick it in this one.

That really sucks for you doesn't it?

Rashmon likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If these groups want to ban the word, then ban it everywhere.

Seems like a petty and an impotent grasp for "power" when this **** happens.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Me either just on cable news and I read it in articles.

dobro1229 likes this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I mean I've never heard anyone say the word "woke" in-person. I only see or hear the word on the internet.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Oops, I see. I thought you meant the "n-word" because of some other articles posted about that in this thread.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Dunno...people use the word in different ways. As a positive or a negative. WRT the racial portion of this, I personally wish I had a way to hear more from the viewpoints of more of our minority communities directly and less from upper-class white people who really don't have a ****ing clue about reality with respects to solutions on race-related issues as they don't have credibility in my mind. I would love to hear more from civic representatives of impoverished minority (or white for that matter) communities in meaningful forums and hear a lot less from people who have never lived it but think they can solve it. And I wish EVERYONE would stop stereotyping everyone, but that is wishful thinking.

And I think it sucks that peaceful protests with a positive message (BLM rallies etc) were taken over by small groups spoiled upper/middle class white kids who used it as opportunities to riot and divide and turned portions of the country against a cause that needed attention and was getting it. I really hate that.

jiggyfly, Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

yeah you still dont understand the thread, just like yesterday. Try again tomorrow, dumbass.

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I understand you.

FrontRunner likes this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

haha. Not even close pal.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You have enough of a posting history that semi-conscious and coma culture know what you are...

dobro1229 likes this.
  20. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Woke is a term that defines most the counterintuitive types. They think anger helps them find a solution but only escalates their problems in most cases.