1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Woke mean to you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 3, 2021.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My definition of woke is being aware of the history and oppression of minorities and how I'm a part of it even if it's through subtle means. It could be from looking for different history classes or talking to different people with those experiences.

It could be also be used glibly as some yadda yadda shorthand to obfuscate or deny America's history of oppression.

Some people really hate learning/education and feel it's an elitist form of oppression.

I don't think re-education is the main thing, more about understanding what other human beings go through and how that ties us all together. When you visit more blue collar areas, race isn't necessarily the biggest divider. Sometimes it's status and privilege where upper middle class or wealthy people go out of their way to exclude or segregate in order to make themselves feel more special.

Woke mostly has a racial context for me, more than being a class context.

I think we're ways to go from telling the difference or understanding how status conscious we are in a consumerist society. Ads are practically shaming you for being basic or common...you're better off in a luxury car than getting caught riding public transportation.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Its when the wypipo virtue signal.

Tomstro likes this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

that is correct.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

being well informed and aware primarily with social issues

pgabriel likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is the exact opposite of what I think of as Woke. At first I thought that pic was a joke. I see he came up with more crap to sell. Grifting is his game. I can't imagine why anyone would buy any crap with that twice impeached loser's name on it.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree - not sure what I said that implied was exclusive to social justice

I don't disagree with this either. However, I think "woke" does have a particularly strong connection to minority culture, because those viewpoints are the ones most often "slept on". Essentially, woke is somewhat akin being hip to some band that is influencing (or has influenced) a number of mainstream bands but doesn't have mainstream popularity itself.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with the later but when you say minority it usually applies to race.

I think you can be woke about climate change and that has nothing to do with race.

pgabriel and subtomic like this.
  8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Lol

9. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good example - I agree

FrontRunner and jiggyfly like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

provide something of substance when u quote me or fck off

jiggyfly likes this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Using a stupid ****ing word doesn’t make you more aware of anything. If you were sleeping before, you are probably sleeping now. A word does not change you.

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

no. Your post doesnt deserve anything more than that reply.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

more like you’re simply not capable of anything more...now move along scrub

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. lpbman

lpbman Member

When you finally figure out what Rage Against the Machine has been raging against for 30 years and why.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It means that words can mean different things to different groups. They can mean one thing to people who are willing and pushing for progress and another to people who want to drag their feet and have desire to impede progress.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

Does it have anything to do with The Matrix?

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But the word does not mean the same to people who are willing and pushing for progress.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

At least the same ball park. Unlike the group trying to halt progress.

Those slight differences will be a diversion from achieving societal wokeness.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I really don't think it's that cut and dried and it's not a line of demarcation.

I mean a lot of people use it just to signify and think they are superior to others.

I mean there are levels to wokeness just on the progressive side, we saw that during the democratic primary.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I disagree slightly. I think that some feel that others use it to claim they are superior.

That is a general application of course