1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Lebron on play-in games: "Whoever came up with that s*** needs to be fired"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DCkid, May 3, 2021.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I.D.I.O.T.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/05/0...hoever-came-up-with-that-s-needs-to-be-fired/

LeBron on play-in games: “Whoever came up with that s*** needs to be fired”
    By Kurt HelinMay 3, 2021, 7:45 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES — When the Dallas Mavericks were sitting as the seven seed, suddenly Luka Doncic and Mark Cuban complained about the play-in games (even though Cuban had voted for them months earlier). Before that, Draymond Green said the play-in games don’t motivate him as it became clear the Warriors were destined for those games.

With their ugly loss to the Raptors on Sunday, the Lakers find themselves in a three-way tie for the 5/6/7 seeds in the West (with the Mavericks and Trail Blazers). The Lakers falling in the play-in games is a real possibility and, suddenly, LeBron James was throwing his opinion on the play-in game out there.

“Whoever came up with that s*** needs to be fired,” LeBron said.

It’s amazing how once a team might be forced to play in those games, they hate them.

Those games also are not going anywhere. It’s more likely the league will make them permanent.

The way the play-in games work is simple: At the end of the regular season, the No. 7 and 8 seeds will play one game, with the winner advancing into the traditional playoffs as the seven seed. Then the No. 9 and 10 seeds will play, the loser of that game is out and into the lottery. Finally, the loser of the 7/8 game and the winner of the 9/10 game will play each other in a single-elimination game, the winner becomes the eighth seed and the loser goes home.

The pressure around grabbing the six seed to avoid the play-in games, and the push by teams late such as Washington (in the East) to get into the 10 seed and give itself a chance has added meaning and drama to late-season games — which is exactly what the league wanted.

Traditionally there is not a lot of drama, not much to watch late in the NBA season. That three-way tie today between the Lakers, Mavericks, and Trail Blazers? Previously they would all be locks to be in the playoffs and the only question would be seedings and matchups. Now those teams are fighting to avoid the play-in games — it adds meaning to late-season games. Teams can’t just sit their stars without consequence. This is exactly what the NBA wanted.

Sorry LeBron, nobody is getting fired over the play-in games. If anything, someone is probably getting a raise.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

How sad is it that the two biggest things I care about in the NBA until the start of next season are..

1.) A ping pong ball drawing in about 3 months
    2.) Lebron losing a play-in game

That's all I have to look forward to

3. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

Lebron has to be one of the whiniest players of all time...dude is selfish....i lost a lot of respect for him after him calling out morey of all people for being selfish for advocating for equal rights...dudes fake as they come and now hes crying because this impacts him.

whag00, randerson, Trackwell and 18 others like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

shut up and dribble or naw?

Pistol Pete likes this.
  5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am for all types of LeBron slander. :)

Exactly. :p

I like this idea. Right now, the Celtics and Hornets would play each other in the 7/8 match-up with the loser playing the winner of the Pacers and Wizards. In the West, it would be Portland and Memphis with the loser playing the winner of the Warriors and Spurs.

So we have Tatum and Brown versus Ball and the Hornets followed by probably the Hornets playing against Russell and Beal. Then, it's Lillard against Morant followed by probably Lillard against Curry. All of those match-ups are basically do or die.

I get that the mega-superstars like LeBron and Doncic in a way have way more to lose than gain, but that is why this will garner a ton of attention (views) and why the NBA will more than likely keep this.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm no LeBron fan and he frequently says idiotic or clearly biased and selfish things. That being said, some of the Bron slander goes into racist undertones I'm no fan of.

Edit: that being said, what a whiny baby, this makes things far more interesting

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It has been funny watching ESPN talking head after ESPN talking head go after Lebron for this...

Those play-in games are on ESPN I'm assuming?

Also...Warriors vs Lakers for a play-in will seal it...

#7 JayGoogle, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Since LeBron is the de facto NBA commissioner, we can bet that there will be no play-in next season.

9. WestendMassive

Lebron loved it when he didn't have to play in it. Cry more, *******

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Well I guess I’m rooting for the Lakers to lose in this.

11. HardenVolumeOne

lebron is basically bought and paid for by nike, he will never be loved by the masses like Kobe and Jordan were. Dude is as phony as any politician

12. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

Lebron is a weak-willed, weak-minded, team-up with-all-the-stars-to-win, fake tough guy, fake empathetic, only stands up for the African American community, doesn’t care about violation of human rights abroad, liberal promoting, republican bashing, self-aggrandizing, Jordan-wannabe, without the mental toughness to be like Mike.

13. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Not a lebron fan, but I'm with him on this one. Enough teams already make the playoffs. Feels gimmicky this way. Anyway, screw the Lakers. Go Rockets!

ak99999 likes this.
  14. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Lebron looks old and he's toast this year. If the Lakers do win it will be despite Lebron

15. AXG

AXG Member

I agree that the play in tournament is a terrible idea. It makes the rest of the regular season sort of meaningless that a tenth seed can leapfrog two other teams. However, if it screws over LeBron, I'm all for it.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

apparently, he's an anti-vaxxer

18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Whoa, where did this information come from? If true, that would be the first true against the trends stance LeBron has ever taken. It would be the first non-liberal stance he's taken. Next, he'll say that being raised in a two-parent home is the way to go and really piss off everyone.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

An 8th seed can leap frog a 1 seed after 1st round.

20. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I concur. Reading about it gave me a headache.