1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Woke mean to you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 3, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I had an older white Lady who I usually eat lunch around ask me this, we talk politics from time to time and she is right leaning but does not like how toxic everything has become.

I have my definition of Woke but I was surprised that it is defined as more of a social justice term.

(Woke is a term that refers to awareness of issues that concern social justice and racial justice.)

I think it's about more than social justice and just a general knowledge of things that people have missed.

I also told her it's become a badge of honour for some and for some an easy label to label someone as too pc.

What is your definition of woke?

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

TMI? My definition of Woke does not include sleeping with old white ladies (I mean, excepting the one of course).

Xerobull and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

It’s a term that really stupid people use.

Space Ghost likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

adoo, FranchiseBlade and FrontRunner like this.
  6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In simplest terms, it's understanding that context and history matters, and that we should integrate these things into our treatment of others. In terms of action, probably the main way to be "woke" is to actually listen to those who have been historically excluded from political and historical debates and narratives.

"Woke" ties into social justice is understanding that ethnic minority cultures have often been denied justice (or even access to it) in situations where the majority white culture has not. Therefore, it's important for us to listen to those minorities and understand (1) where their communities observe that these justice "gaps" are most often occurring, and (2) how these communities believe these gaps can be best fixed.

Where of course it gets complicated is that no community or ethnic group are 100% in agreement or alignment on the "gaps" or solutions for those gaps. Unfortunately, this lack of perfect alignment is often used by those who are disinterested in viewpoints outside their own as an excuse to simply do nothing.

7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I would say it's what happens when people of privilege get their head out of their ass and put themselves into the shoes of those less fortunate, become concerned about issues bigger than just themselves, such as the growing wealth gap or the destruction of our environment -- sort of a "red pill" type moment for decent-hearted folks that just didn't know any better. Naturally this enrages a certain type of individual.

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

is this supposed to mean something to me?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If I hear the term "woke" or "cancel culture" being thrown around I assume it's coming from a suburban-living person that watches Fox News, spends time on Facebook, and doesn't read past headlines. Simple as that.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Only unless you're too stupid to discern the message...

edwardc likes this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Well It just proved my point. My point was that really stupid people use the term.

12. Rashmon

[​IMG]

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I dont think you understand the convo.

15. Rashmon

You're living proof that folks like yourself (and our former president) who "don't know, what they don't know" are the most dangerous kind of fools.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

you aren’t even “woke” enough to understand this thread.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Pretty much this. It's a term used to invoke political discourse.

'Come argue with me for the sake of arguing'

Tomstro likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I wish the fox watching bee reading woke haters would call themselves the Sleep-Eez.

19. dmoneybangbang

In 2021.... feels like it has jumped the shark and will reach an equilibrium sooner or later. Woke feels more negative than positive to me and I hate what the GOP has become.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's not really saying anything?

Is woke just political for you?
    I agree with this but that goes far beyond social justice to me and should be how people look at the world as a whole.

I don't think it's a minority vs majority culture phenomenon, anybody can be 'sleeping" about a wide range of things.

That's my definition and does not have to be only about a wealth gap or environment.

I look at it as personal growth and becoming more educated.

FrontRunner likes this.