1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. malakas

malakas Member

The UK didn't delay the second dose. The Astrazeneca vaccine ,that they use, recommended interval between doses by the company and tried in the trials and also studies is 8-12 weeks.
    The UK is using 3 months.
    If you have the second dose sooner the vaccine doesn't work well.

"The 12-week interval was 81% effective, compared with 55% for the 6-week interval. The researchers also found that a single dose of the vaccine was 76% effective 3–12 weeks after the shot was administered."

2. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No Worries and OmegaSupreme like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Good for them.

Meanwhile Florida is at 80% availability, probably 100% by next week.

What does 80% mean? It means anyone who wants the vaccine can get it at their closest CVS. In the few cases of one store being fully booked, there is one really close by that has availability. Some rural CVS never reached full demand for more than a few days. This was 6 weeks ago.

There is no excuse not to have a vaccine at this point. Time to move on with the posturing.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but try telling that to this Florida private school.

Florida private school won’t allow teachers, staff to get COVID-19 vaccine
    Miami school sends letter to parents

CNN Newsource
    Published: April 27, 2021 8:03 am
    Updated: April 27, 2021 3:22 pm
    https://www.clickorlando.com/news/2...allow-teachers-staff-to-get-covid-19-vaccine/

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What does it matter? Let the courts figure it out. Stop speculating. This type of behavior is a minority. It still doesnt change the fact anyone over 16 can get the vaccine in a couple days max. Labor laws get abused all the time.

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

?

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Stop speculating about what? Just posting some stupid private Florida school's policy. No speculation needed to know it's wrong.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

adoo likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Looks like the types that would mingle with Donald Trump JR and his crazy girlfriend. That house looks creepy. I wonder if they are swingers who are into black magic, witch doctors, and drink blood. Eeeeew.

In the letter they sent out the school claims tens of thousands of women worldwide had adverse reproductive issues by just being near someone who was vaccinated, including irregular menstruation, bleeding and miscarriages.

The United Teachers of Dade union released a statement saying, "These schools not only
    teach misinformation and peddle propaganda, they punish teachers who try to protect themselves and their families"

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Time to recall the governor!!!

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It's not a strawman. It's just an example of how ridiculous the policies are for restaurants and bars.

Yes covid has hit Canada less, but would you have wanted to have lived thru that and continued to live thru that for the next year? If I had to live thru what is going on in Canada with that mindset and outlook I'd be at least 20 lbs heavier, out of shape, and depressed as **** with no end in sight.

Yup I've been wrong on multiple aspects with covid especially the massive surges and reinfection issues especially in Brazil, however which professionals got "it" right? I don't think any professionals got anything spot on and I don't think there was any true consensus. Some did better than others though. I don't think there were any professionals that predicted this rapid development and deployment of highly effective vaccines.

Yes I have considered that as being the primary "benefit" of masks and I thought I wrote it here at some point. Maybe I didn't. That said I think it's absurd to think vaccinated healthy people should coerced into wearing a mask when it provides no health benefit in order to try to control society. That line of thinking is just kind of creepy lol. Adding those little "I'm vaccinated" stamps on your facebook profile pics could do the same and getting vaccinated slows the spread FAR more than any mask ever did. We need to get back to normal after vaccination and we need to continue to find the best ways to make people want to get vaccinated. Permamasking isn't a valid route and I don't see how it promotes vaccination....and yes I know that could be wrong but it's not how I am going to live my life after taking a proven vaccine.

Side note...At our UPS Stores we are mandating that our employees get vaccinated in order to move on from masks or we are letting them go. We are legally allowed to do this specifically because of covid. Our last two holdouts were a guy that is 65 years old who thinking covid is fake and that the vaccine will kill him and a woman that is about 150 lbs overweight who thinks the vaccine is high risk. If it were up to me I'd be paying covid vaccine resistant people to get at least 1 shot.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Ohhh I'm so sorry you've had to live out of inconvenience for the past year. There's absolutely noooo way you could live another year like this.

Give me a break. I'm tired of this fear mongering, selfish attitude of "I have to live my life". No, people aren't expecting to live like this for the rest of our lives, it's two ****ing years of just being careful. That's it. No one is pushing an extreme. Boo hoo about your inconvenience.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It wasn't inconvenient for me so I'm not complaining. It has been a problem for my gf who is Canadian. She has to go back to Toronto soon so I have to fly her to Buffalo so she can uber to the land crossing and have her roommate pick her up so she isn't forced into hotel quarantine at her expense or an $800 CAD fine. She's had covid 2x and now got her first vaccination shot here and she is not supposed to take a 2nd shot. However, none of that matters to Canada and she is still subject to quarantine. Her roommate's perspective is another interesting one, but that's another story and that's why I mentioned the Canada point. The one thing they have done well is paying their citizens unlike the inept American govt.

FWIW covid didn't impact my life that much. My life hasn't been inconvenienced or at least I haven't seen it that way. The winter storm was a bigger impact that covid for me and I got lucky during that disaster. I'm glad I'm in Texas and not in Canada. I was out prepping before most other people too. I've tried to take a data based perspective even if I haven't been very good with my grand projections other than covid being a major disaster that I was warning people about as early as I could.

Not too sure what to say if you think 2 years isn't extreme for the vast majority of adults and kids that are at low risk with covid. It's extreme for the people that are seriously at risk from covid too since their clocks of life don't have that many ticks left. We got really lucky that a vaccine came FAR quicker than any vaccine ever.

All that said, it's not selfish of me to think wearing a mask is beyond pointless after having had covid and being vaccinated or just being fully vaccinated. The data is getting to be pretty clearly in your face at this point that the risk of transmission is next to zero when those conditions are taken into account. It's also not selfish for me to question this behavior and why we are still doing it and the overall effectiveness of it. Lastly, I've also not been selfish with waiting to get vaccinated. I know my risk profile and I wasn't going to jump in line ahead of others who needed it. I had friends who did and I wasn't happy about it but whatever.

14. adoo

adoo Member

i wish that you would stop pretending that ur a scientist. so, stop imposing your willful ignorance on us

#11494 adoo, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    AleksandarN and No Worries like this.
  15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Not sure if you've been following the international news on covid, at the rate of infection and variants coming out, reinfections will keep happening, and vaccines will need to keep getting updated. Hope I'm wrong, but looks like it will continue to impact us for a long while yet.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Is there anything showing that the vaccines don’t prevent transmission and that the vaccines aren’t effective? I’m not pretending either. I’m sharing data from studies. If you would like to share other data that invalidates them or data that shows vaccines aren’t effective then do it. I’ll be happily waiting for you to post anything other than a potshot.

#11496 robbie380, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Time will tell and yes I’m familiar with the news. The vaccines are seeming to be highly effective as well so far.

saitou likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Millions of Americans stayed home, didn't to out to eat or go to bars, and had groceries delivered. I was one of them. Did I get Covid? No. Keeping my high risk family members safe from exposure was far more important to me than drinking at a bar, eating out, or any other no mask social type atmosphere. Too many people died because they were infected by family members, friends, or strangers who simply wanted to do as they please, and act like Trump and his clonies, pretending that Covid was no big deal.

It's frustrating now that there are so many who won't get a vaccine, even when it's available. The mentality is just stupid, especially when those people are in the healthcare field.

robbie380 likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It doesn’t make much sense considering how low risk they are and how ridiculously effective they are. We told our employees that we would have to let them go if they didn’t get vaccinated. It’s a special carve out for covid with essential businesses that allows you to do that legally. This eventually got everyone to get vaccinated.

deb4rockets likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-vaccine-moderna-pfizer-transmission-disease

@adoo something in your favor that vaccines aren’t as extremely highly effective at ending transmission as I thought. Time will tell but I’m sure you were already familiar with this and just elected not to share. It’s a study from a couple months ago from Israel at the bottom of the article.

That said the CDC says it’s ok to be in small groups without a mask and if everyone is vaccinated. I’m sure they are just being willfully ignorant.