1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood thinks he will be a ‘max player’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Apr 28, 2021.

?

Will Wood be a ‘max player’?

Poll closed May 28, 2021.
  1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. No but someone is going to pay him

90 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Exactly. If, for instance, the Rockets end up getting to keep their pick and draft one of those top four guys this year, the rebuild looks completely different than if they don't. If that happens, they'll want to keep Wood and not tank next year. Yes, of course there's such thing as a fast rebuild. That doesn't mean that's what will happen. It just depends on how things go, and we have no way of knowing that right now.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

That’s actually called starting a rebuild. You haven’t actually reached a fast rebuild status, where you’re actually relevant. @larsv8 is correct. There’s no such thing as a fast rebuild. It’s a process and a long one even if you do everything that should be done and we all know that’s pretty rare. Cf’s loves to falsely believe steps are skipped. That’s not how it works. That’s the reality of losing a generational player like harden who impacts winning at elite status

#142 YOLO, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Williamson likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

amaru likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don’t have a problem with that at all. I might have a bit of a problem with Wood saying it out loud.

mike2k132, sydmill and YOLO like this.
  5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I like his game. I don't like his ankle.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

I like him as a rotational player. I don't like him at max

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

The max here only means max for him, not the max for the entire league. Most he could be paid is around 20-25M. The max is 41M.

He may or may not be "that guy" but a 20 10 guy is easily worth 25M in today's market.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

by the end of his deal, Christian Wood will have 7 years of NBA experience...the current max for that type of player is 5/190 or 4/140 from another team and will be higher by the time he’s due for another contract

Pascal Siakam who had only been in the league for 3 years signed a max extension worth 4/136 back in 2019

there is no max worth just 20-25 mil/yr

#149 Reeko, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    YOLO likes this.
  10. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Woods needs to learn how to rebound, gain a lot more strength.

clos4life likes this.
  11. HROZ

HROZ Member

Barring injury
    Yes he will be

12. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I hate how the NBA has these guys thinking that they’re all max players. There is only a few legit max players and a hell of a lot of over payed players.
    • LBJ
    • KD
    • Curry
    • Kyrie
    • Harden
    • Giannis
    • AD
    • Jokic
    • Kawhi
    • Embiid
    • Dame
    • Luka
    • Tatum
    • CP3 (YES I SAID IT)
    All these guys are legit max players bc they’re franchise changing players. You put any of these guys on a bad team and they’re probably getting that team to an 8th seed.
    Does anyone really believe that CWood belongs on this list? If so you’re delusional. I’m not saying that someone won’t pay him but if they do I hope to god it’s not Houston.

charlieaustin likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think all this talk from him is concerning. Seems to be trying to get an extension. I say if we get offered a high lotto pick for him we pull the trigger

steddinotayto likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I wonder if they aren't playing him out of position as a 5. He just doesn't have the sand to play the 5 and not be a liability defensively.

He's a really good shooter & he can put the ball on the floor .... play him at the 3 spot and let him take advantage of his length over smaller guys.

He's essentially the same size as KD .... and a similar 3 point percentage over their careers 37.1 vs 38.4.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Once Wall is off the books you can chase another "star" to add to the young nucleus. Like you stated EVERYTHING hinges on the ping pong balls going our way this draft - that is the sole factor in whether it will be 2-3 years or the better part of a decade. It can happen with some luck and good managerial moves.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. thekad

thekad Member

lmao

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Wood is this the new Kevin Martin--fringe All-Star player propped up as the team's franchise player until the front office acquires an actual franchise player. This is not saying Wood is bad...he's just not going to be your 1A, 1B or even 2nd banana.

18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

People get irrationally defensive over who gets a max deal. There was a thread this offseason nearly uniformly clowning the Jazz for maxing out Gobert.

If Wood gets a max deal here it's not like he's taking cap room we'd have used to sign Giannis instead.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Who is Woods?

Seriously, you guys, it doesn't take much effort to know the names of our players. Especially when they are our actual best player.

#159 Williamson, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Corrosion, charlieaustin and ashleyem like this.
  20. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The amount of hate and prejudice you guys have for Wood is absurd. This is his first year being full time rotational player and you want him to be Kevin Garnett? Let’s give him another and see what happens.