1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2021 NFL Draft] 3rd Rd Texans Select Davis Mills QB Stanford

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is my question... What can the Texans get for Deshaun? They're obviously much better off trading him after a reputation rebuild than they are now. They could've gotten an historic haul of picks so it's frustrating, but let's see how this plays out.

I think there's good upside in the pick of Mills though.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much my exact thoughts

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

My concern is how much Caserio is willing to invest in Mills. Barring some unforeseen circumstance, it is unlikely we will get an adequate sample size of him this season. So assuming we have a really high pick next draft, does Caserio pass on a top tier QB? Or does he take one and have his highest pick from the previous draft sitting on the bench?

Then there is the whole DW4 situation...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

To me, it's basically a CYA pick. One scenario has watson coming back and killing it. One situation has Watson not coming back and us getting nothing for him and Mills being terrible.

It'll probably fall somewhere in between but hopefully we'll get somewhere between a third round pick and multiple firsts plus for the worst situation of the two. It just may take three years.

5. conquistador#11

easterby: "Mr. Cal as long as I'm here nothing like what happened with Deshaun will ever happen again. Now, I don't know how a masseuse from out of state got the idea to contact a lawyer who has ties to a man from Liberty U. By the way, The Falwells are just misunderstood but again no more sex scandals or any scandals inside our locker room. I can assure, Mr. Mcnair that was all god's plan. Davis is the chosen one. That's why he is here."

( Narrator:
    "In the 2024 off season, Davis wanted out after having an all pro season. Very disturbing details surfaced as HPD investigated allegations of Davis having ties with the Sinaloa cartel. Davis went by the alias 'Kendal' as in "Ken Doll" from the Barbie line of dolls, due to his good looks but not to be confused with "La barbie" still doing time in Texas.")
    Why not? It's the Houston Texans after all.

6. H.D.

H.D. Member

There is no QB next year worth taking over Kayvon Thibodeaux.

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lmao, it sucks that this is a possibility

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really surprised by taking a QB at first thought but it does make more sense, if they really considered this a high value prospect. Like some say, he could have potentially be a 1st rounder had he stayed for another year so there is value there.

There is so much unknown the qb spot it’s hard to know what to do, but this pick certainly gives the Texans lots of options and outs.

Worst case scenario, I guess, is you have a long term young backup Qb, which they don’t have.
    Then there is always the potential to trade him down the road if he proves himself a valuable backup or even better, a potential starter so they is some investment value there.
    All in all, for a 3rd rounder on a team that isn’t going anywhere soon, there are some positives here.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think if you don't have a 100% franchise QB under center you keep throwing high picks at the position until you have that question definitively answered.

If you end up with an extra QB you just trade them and move on. Not a big deal.

whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. gucci888

The Browns method huh?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The alternative is try and be the first team in 20 years to win a Superbowl with a journeyman level or worse QB.

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The Ravens method huh?

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

*Joe Flacco is elite debate noises*

14. alethios

alethios Member

There were certainly some better OL options on the board - we desperately need those.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Deshaun who?

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Actually, the Texans' offensive line is fine. Better coaching will help that group.

17. gucci888

Problem with the Browns method is that you’re unlikely to have a definitive answer on whether you have found a franchise QB by the time the question comes up again (i.e. next draft). Come a year from now, Caserio will have to answer this very question whether or not he has the supporting data.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. ballgame

ballgame Member

WATSON!

juanm34 likes this.
  19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

It’s official...
    We are the Bizzaro Texans!

[​IMG]

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Just about every other NFL team is an example of "the browns method" working within 3-5 years of starting the process.

Calling it "the browns method" is simply highlighting the outlier and making it out to be the norm.

If you don't have a QB you consider a permanent solution and you're not throwing either money or picks at the problem, then you're doing the footballs wrong imo.

#60 DonnyMost, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021