1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Offseason Possible...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Landry's Tooth

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/cap/2021/

Knicks only have 55 million committed for next season. Most of their better players are on rookie deals other than randle. None of their cap holds are likely resigned...

Wall would fit well to help develop their younger players.... they do have a hole at point guard...

We would be in the same place if we didn't have Porter... no need to block Porter's development...

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

For that to happen , Kawhi would have to want to come here.
    That's about as likely as the Clippers sending you Kawhi for Wall or the $35m in contracts it would take to get a 3rd team involved.

Possible ? Sure .... remotely likely ? Not at all. Not an idea worthy of building an offseason plan around.

Worse yet , it really doesn't make you a legit contender and you spent 3 #1's to be a 5-6 seed.

You are better off eating another year of Wall's contract than throwing 3 first round picks at getting rid of it. In another year it becomes a $45m expiring - Something of value.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If they can get a team to take Wall for little or nothing and send assets to a 3rd team for a real star, I'm all for it but I'm not down for throwing away draft picks just to dump salary like they did with Ryno / Shumpert and get nothing in return.

DonatelloLimestone and BamBam like this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

I'm confused... you say it's a dumb idea and then you advocate for it?

If you trade Wall and picks for a star you get the same result... the only difference is one is signed with cap space created from Wall's removal and the other uses the same space...

If they wanted to speed up the process and Kawhi was interested it could make sense. They are otherwise not doing it because Kawhi is the only potential free agent worth doing it for. You wouldn't do it to sign Oladipo or something...

I also would consider Horford and picks for Wall but i don't like the idea of pushing out the salary further... doubt i would do it...

5. Landry's Tooth

That wasn't the suggestion... the idea was to sign a max guy now if the right one was interested which could happen if you have Porter/Cunningham/Wood....

You wouldn't give up picks to unload Wall unless you were making the move now instead of a year from now...

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Because a salary dump just doesn't create the actual cap space to sign Super Free Agent X - The Rockets will start the offseason with -$64,315,399 in cap space. Dumping Wall leaves them with -$20,004,559.

Any star acquisition would have to be made via trade.

7. ilias

ilias Member

Not sure either if we can have cap space that summer assuming we trade Wall for a good player during the season.

I’d imagine that at the buy-out/trade deadlines we could buy-out or trade into space/TEs any large expirings / team options, ie EG, Augustin, KO (if we re-sign him this summer on a 2-year commitment). If they get picked up by other teams, I would think that their cap holds would be gone as well.

Similarly, trading Wall + picks for a nice contract (for discussion purposes say John Collins) plus an expiring (to be bought out) would reduce our cap holds by $20m.

Back of the envelope, I’m coming up to around $95m cap holds, including 2 top-5 picks, KPJ/ Wood/ KMJ/ Tate, 3 late FRPs (from 2021 & 2022 drafts), and 3 minimums. That would give us around $25m in 2023 cap space, which you could throw at someone like Jerami Grant. Then re-sign Wood/KPJ with full bird rights. In this hypothetic scenario, we would start the 2023 season with KPJ, Grant, Collins, Wood, 2 top-5 draft picks on rookie scale (eg Cunningham, Hardy), 3 late FRPs on rookie scale, Tate/KMJ and minimums.

@BimaThug is that in any way feasible?

#47 ilias, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
  8. DonatelloLimestone

agreed, i thought we got lucky when we got wall for westbrook with a protected first, just to add some asset.

Westbrook is a floor raiser, he would've kept us like he is wizards in contention or the play-in. not very useful for where we are.

But for us to give up 2 extra picks to rid of wall just wouldn't make sense. Those some of our biggest assets for trades and improving. The draft itself is not a science, very often peopel don't hit and a lot of our brooklyn/mil picks are projected to be late first rounders which have even lower probability. But as we did ourselves, you can sell a lot of hope with picks and the first round picks can have great trade value. We aren't going anywhere next year so we can just keep wall. At that point he becomes an expiring and option for a trade, buy out, or trade deadline trade as well. it sucks to think about, but that just may be the best option with wall. He barely plays, so while he showed flashes of athleticism, i'm not sure he increased his value. It looks like Leon Rose is screwing the knicks head on decently so we cant pull off junk with them like the mcgrady trade, maybe orlando is still stupid?

9. Landry's Tooth

I ran the numbers on spotrac. I'm not sure your source but there's space. Gordon and wood are their only players over 10 million if they dump wall. Olynyk's cap hold is there but it's not large enough to stop the max slot...

What's your source? Maybe spotrac is wrong....

10. Landry's Tooth

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/2021/

Help me understand... They are at 91,908,908 for 8 players under contract INCLUDING Wall. This is assuming they don't want the club options on 2 guys.

There's incomplete roster spot holds of about 1.8 million x 4 for another 7.2 million.

So that's roughly 93 million including Wall's 44.3 million.

Other than $100K roughly in dead money they have nothing else other than cap holds. The only significant holds are Wilson and Olynyk. Wilson is fine if he wants to come back for 5 million but he's not worth his cap hold. Olynyk could re-sign for less than the 18 million cap hold.

I think you're confused because you're counting cap holds as if it's a commitment they can't get out of. It's likely all of them are gone but maybe Olynyk depending on how he's liked his time here.

My suggestion was to dump Wall on the Knicks (who only have 46 million in active players - the rest are all holds on guys they are expected to let leave) and re-sign Olynyk.

If they did that, then you have 91.9 - 44.3 + 15 + 7.2 = 69.8 million.

With assumption of the same cap (112,414,200) that would mean cap space of 42.6 million.

Most people would consider that a max slot since only 6 players make that much in the entire NBA.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well yes OP, this is one of 226.7 million possible combinations of things that could happen

jim1961 and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

And several dozen of them would get us back in the playoffs in a few years.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was waiting to see if and who would right this. But yes!! Horrible move to trade 3 1st round picks? So idiotic

So What the rockets get rid of all of their assets to get “good” fast and in turn increase the chances of being mediocre and ruin the draft pick for next year?

No. No. No. you keep drafting until you have some good young players. You then create cap space with Wall leaving after his contract then use that space to sign someone. THEN you can consider trading your picks for a good player to go along with your you picks and FA signings.

If you traded 3 1st round picks that would be like 8 total picks and swaps combined to get rid of Paul someone that is being touted as a freaking MVP this season.

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

3 picks to turn wall into kawhi? hard pass, by the time we had a team to put around kawhi he'll be too old to do anything, all it would do is screw the next 2 drafts PLUS lose the picks to dump wall

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

If we get the #1 pick, I'll just dream about going the Ted Lasso route where everything falls into place...Draft Cunningham, KPJ develops into a Harden-lite, Christian Wood gets a few more attempts a game to become a 25/10 player. Before we even knew what hit us, we went from nothing to holding 3 aces and a boatload of future draft capital.

[​IMG]

baller4life315 likes this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

17. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Seriously. It would be painful enough to attach one first round pick; but 3? Yeah, better to just wait it out a bit.