1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Colonize Titan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't tell @tinman

2. dmoneybangbang

Venus would be more practical, not colonizing the surface but floating high above. Establishing a colony above the most earth like planet seems prudent. Also the moon seems logistically well positioned for space things.

Andre0087 and Invisible Fan like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

conquistador#11 and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Was going to post something similar.

At some point we use machines to make Venus less oppressive...from similar tech to fix our own carbon problem.

Could take a few decades to move an inch but we're dealing with space...

5. malakas

malakas Member

By the time we could colonise Titan we would have already developed colonies in the moon and Mars. That's certain.
    We could also terraform Venus.

ico4498 likes this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

We're gonna need a shitload of "no smoking" signs.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We should colonize Antarctica it's not as cold.

saitou likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

2010 is a real movie? Y'all pulling a fast one?
    About to hit the google machine after I hit post reply.

edit:
    *interesting. As it turns out, it's an actual sequel. Add this to the movies I never knew had a sequel.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Good luck with that.

Ottomaton, B-Bob and Amiga like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's just an interface to the neurons. Conceptually not so different from the interface they already have today, but not running at dial-up 300 bits per second with most of the data as incomprehensible noise. Instead, it's running at today's technological speed with much less noise. What you do with the data is not really what they are 'good' at. Where they excel is building the technology of the physical interface to neurons, including the machine for implanting them. Basic crucial infrastructure that opens up more doorways, if you will. I hope they succeed.

An integrated brain-machine interface platform with thousands of channels | bioRxiv

11. malakas

malakas Member

If Arrakis could so could Venus

Buck Turgidson and JayGoogle like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Is there melange in Venus?

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Venus is a chick planet.

Deckard and SamFisher like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't remember seeing 2010 but I know I must have watched it.

Still can't understand the ending of 2001.

What was up with the bedroom?o_O

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You should read the book. Even though there are a few changes it does explain what's happening at the end.

Not sure if this needs to be spoilered but will do so for any who haven't seen 2001.
    The giant monolith is a stargate and Bowman goes through it. A lot of the effects are supposed to be what he sees as he goes through including stops at galactic switching stations. At one of these space appears inverted and at another there are several derelict spaceships. He finally ends up at a red giant star with a white dwarf orbiting it. His pod is sucked down into the red giant and then ends up in the hotel room. The hotel room is an exact facsimile of a hotel room on Earth from a few years ago that was on TV. He determines that the aliens that built the monolith did this to keep him alive and in an environment he would find familiar. He goes to sleep and as he does all of his memories are downloaded along with his consciousness into a new being that is composed of energy, like the aliens. That is the space baby at the end.

malakas, Deckard and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm pretty sure I read the book it was the reason I wanted to watch the movie as I got older and I kind of remember but it is blurry.

I used to be a voracious reader when I was young and when I worked a night shift in detention but now all I read is the internet,

Curse you Gore.

[​IMG]

17. Buck Turgidson

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That was my governor

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I'd still take him over Abbott, Patrick, Paxton, Miller and Costello

Deckard likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Since Titan is being discussed (more or less) it brought to mind a trilogy of novels (Titan, Wizard, Demon), The Gaea Trilogy, by the science fiction author John Varley. This is a very loose description. In 2025 (Varley was being very optimistic as well as having his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, in my opinion), an expedition is mounted by a team of scientists, and an engineer named Bill, to Saturn to explore it’s moons and such.

In orbit around Saturn they discover an artificial satellite in the shape of a 1300 km diameter Stanford torus (the very short video below showing what part of it would look like was created by a Varley fan - there is also an image based on the descriptions of Gaea in Varley’s novels, although the fan video might be more accurate) inhabited by many different species, with a “governing” creature (who may be absolutely crazy) at the center of the torus called Gaea.

These novels are a real trip. I read them when they came out about 40 years ago and really enjoyed them. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if John Varley was a fan of magic mushrooms at the time.

[​IMG]

Amiga likes this.